VIRUS WARNING - ILOVEYOU

  • Catherine Melissa Lake
    Message 1 of 1 , May 4, 2000
      Dear List Members

      We heard early this morning about a new email 'worm' virus that has been
      spreading across the Internet at a fast rate. It has already affected
      1000's of PC's and even local authorities and governments have been taking
      evasive action.

      I wanted to post the steps we have taken here to yourselves, steps which
      were also taken by one of our several ISP's we use here (ClaraNET if you are
      interested). It may be useful to follow the same procedure yourselves to
      add extra protection alongside your virus software.

      Simply do the following:

      Create a new filter rule in your email software and give it a name.
      Set it to search on the 'Subject' line of the incoming email for:
      ILOVEYOU
      Set the software to send a 'Delete from server' request as not
      to actually download the email at all.
      This will catch the email before it is downloaded to your machine.

      Meanwhile, if you do happen to download the email DO NOT OPEN IT!

      The virus will only activate if you open the email and/or it's attachment.
      In order to ensure you do not risk getting infected, do the following:

      Without opening the email, carefully click *once* on the email title
      and then delete the email
      Then go to your 'Deleted Items' bin and empty it to clear all trace!

      If you require any further assistance with this virus, information is also
      available at:

      http://vil.mcafee.com/dispVirus.asp?virus_k=98617

      I hope this is all of help!

      Best wishes
      Catherine Lake (Miss)
      Publicity & Sponsorship Co-ordinator

      NEW FOREST MARATHON ASSOCIATION
      http://www.nfma.org.uk
      mailto:info@...
      General Enquiries Number: 0870 78 787 78
      Publicity (thenewforest.net): 07020 93 50 78

      For news and community information, as well as press releases from
      the New Forest Marathon Committee, visit 'The New Forest Network':
      http://www.thenewforest.net/ - Sign up for free web-based email too!

      * Please Note *
      This entire email is intended only for the person or entity to which it has
      been addressed to. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or use
      of, and/or the taking of any action reliant upon, this email by any person
      or entity other than the intended recipient is prohibited. This message
      may also contain confidential material and may therefore be sensitive.
      If you have received this email in error, please contact the sender and
      immediately remove the message from all and any systems holding it.