Spiritual Healthcare – How to Avoid Becomin g a Wounded Warrior

  • Momsooky
    Message 1 of 1 , May 17, 2013
      Spiritual Healthcare – How to Avoid Becoming a Wounded Warrior

      Spiritual “fatigue” can set in as we become exposed to the continual hardships of those around us. As we go out into the world to share the hope of the Gospel, it’s vitally important that we keep in mind that the burdens, grief, and sorrows of others can affect our spiritual health.
      This morning as I spent time reading blog posts, I came across a heartfelt post from a very tired sister in Christ. She went into detail about how her situation at home was taking a turn for the worst. Her health was failing and she was unable to care for her children.
      This dear sister had been battling several issues for quite some time and it sounded like she was at the end of her rope. I felt such a weight on my spirit after reading her post. It almost felt as if I could physically feel what she was going through.
      Spiritual health is maintained through a steady diet of God’s Word, prayer, fellowship with God, and a constant awareness that just because there is an emotional tug at your heart, doesn’t necessarily mean that God is the one doing the tugging.
      I spoke to God and told Him how I would love to be in a position financially to send this dear woman $1000, $2000, $5000, to get her through her rough patch. Without missing a beat, God spoke to me and said “And that’s exactly why you don’t have anything to give right now”
      God knows my heart and He knows that my first impulse when facing someone with a problem is to try to fix their situation. In the case above, I would have willingly sent this woman money without knowing a thing about her problems and how she ended up in the situation she is in.
      My heart bleeds for people and I hate to see anyone suffering but to try to solve every problem of every person puts me in the position of playing God in their lives and that’s not my job.
      In my mind I tried to imagine what it must be like to be a Pastor or leader who has to endure listening to the problems of others all day every day. But then I thought about the fact that we as members of the Body of Christ are in the same boat as our ministry leaders when it comes to ministering to those around us who are experiencing hard times. You don’t have to be a ministry leader to be in a position to hear about the needs of others.
      As ambassadors for Christ, we carry the hope of God to those in dire need. As such, we can only be productive for the kingdom of God to the extent that we are spiritually healthy.
      When travelling from the US to third world countries in need, there are certain vaccinations that are required. These vaccinations serve the purpose of protecting us from infectious disease. They help to keep us healthy while we are in foreign countries and they prevent us from inadvertently bringing disease back home and infecting others in this country.
      The same should be true in maintaining our spiritual health as we ministering to those who are burdened spiritually. Take the time to get your vaccination of God’s Word prior to exposing yourself to a burdening situation if possible.
      Tips for maintaining spiritual health
      Remember that you are the care giver and God is the cure giver. God is well able to meet the needs of people. Seek God’s wisdom and listen carefully for how He would have you provide practically for the person if that is the role you are to play.
      Realize that you cannot solve everyone’s problem. Avoid falling into the mindset that if there is a problem, you must be the one to solve it. Some problems are self-induced. Some problems aren’t really problems at all if you actually break them down and analyze them. Some problems, if solved will only snowball into larger problems.
      Let God be God in the lives of others and realize that no matter how much you may love the person, God loves them more. Don’t see yourself as the blessing, but make yourself available as a channel of blessing that God can use if He chooses to.
      Maintaining spiritual health is up to you
      Spiritual health is maintained through a steady diet of God’s Word, prayer, fellowship with God, and a constant awareness that just because there is an emotional tug at your heart, doesn’t necessarily mean that God is the one doing the tugging.

      Go to http://faithsmessenger.com/spiritual-healthcare/ to read the article "Spiritual Healthcare - How to Avoid Becoming a Wounded Warrior"

      Have an Amazing Day!
      Greg Winfield
      FaithsMessenger.Com

      "a merry heart doeth good like a medicine" Prov 17:22