Divine Protection

  • brogary19
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2009
      Divine Protection

      "The God of my rock; in him will I trust: he is my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my high tower, and my refuge, my saviour; thou savest me from violence."
      – 2 Samuel 22:3

      Recently I read a story about an American commander from Desert Storm. He had 130 brave men under him, and they were in Kuwait on the eve of the invasion into Iraq. Since he knew they would be going into harm's way, he prayed to the Lord, "Dear God, help me to lead my troops wisely. Watch over us and keep us safe."

      The next morning, orders came for his unit to load up their stuff and begin advancing toward the border. He said they got everything loaded up and began to take off, and then he felt a raindrop. Pretty soon he felt another, and then a torrential downpour just began to come from the sky. The rain did not let up, and it became difficult to see the road as they journeyed along. He said it went on for days as they traveled, and he started to wonder, Why are the elements now against us? He prayed again, "Father, please make this rain stop and protect us." But the rain continued to pound them. They only had camouflage tents for cover, and every morning they would wake up soaked to the bone.

      They knew that at any moment the order would come to cross the border, and finally it did come. The commander said that when they got up that morning, it was a beautiful day. The sun was out! Then, as they pulled up to the border, everyone just stood there astounded. As they looked out ahead, the torrential rains had washed away the sand to reveal metal discs planted all across their path. It was an Iraqi mine field. The Lord had been mindful of that commander's prayer and answered!

      Only God can guide us through the mine fields of this world, and He wants to do that for each one of us. He is ready to hear and answer our prayers today, just as He did for this unit of soldiers. We might forget sometimes that the Lord still performs miracles, but just think of the miracle of salvation—that the God of the universe spoke to our hearts and redeemed our souls. That is a true miracle! And it is only the beginning of what He wants to do in our lives. Whatever problem we face, our God is a rock and a shield, and we can put our trust in Him.