Re: Moving right along...

  • Simon el Martillo de Cordoba
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 30, 2005
      --- In RoyalGuildofDefense@yahoogroups.com, <Niccolo, Brigit,Santiago >
      wrote:
      <snip>
      ======

      Just to let you know, that the Shire of Windy meads (Davis area) is
      possibly lanning to host "Western Rapier Collegium"(tenative name).

      They have started getting people to come back into windy meads and are
      considering organizing the event. (VER,VERY early planning stages)

      Niccolo, please contact me offline for any hosting you will want
      Alpensee to do.

      Simon
    • Randy & Beth Berry
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 9, 2005
        I think we are already heading on the right track and just need to keep on moving forward.  We should be continuing to schedule and play Prizes. We should be looking for opportunities to share knowledge of period forms as we see happening at the West Collegium coming up here soon.

        KWAR is a good goal to work towards and it fits in with the "sharing of knowledge of others".  I would like to see this be a joint effort of the Guild and the rest of the West Kingdom fencers who are interested.  This would be a great opportunity for the Kingdom rapier program.  I think that we should keep class offerings open to both West instructors and those from other Kingdoms.  This would be a wonderful chance for those of our fencing core to be able to attend a KWAR and get a chance to study with the wealth of knowledge both in our own Kingdom and others.

        Sorcha  Careman

        Brigit wrote:
        Ok then--we have a revised Charter, we have officers, we've got the
        website being updated, what's next, kids??  Where should we be
        heading, what should we be working on now?

        One suggestion I have is the idea of hosting KWAR here in the West.  I
        think that this would be a grand project for the Guild to head up.
        I'm hoping to go to KWAR this year and if I am able, I will be talking
        to the autocrat team for this event to see what it takes to bid for
        it, and how involved it is to put on.  I don't think that a "two years
        from now" goal is unresonable, given the rapier track this year for
        Fall Colligieum.  We HAVE the talented instructors we would need here
        in the West, we just need to put them all together for a weekend.

        BTW--I'm looking for sponsors to help me get to KWAR. (Patrons?)  Let
        me know if you are interested.

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 11, 2005

          To add to this train of thought, the Outlands held Known World
          Costume Symposium at the same time. If memory serves me correctly,
          this increased the number of people who attended the event and cut
          down on the costs.

          I also agree that we should see what it would take to get non-Western
          instructors as well, for this will help us increase our understanding
          of our chosen martial art.

          On a side note, I know that Drachenwald is planning to host KWAR 2006
          (possibly in a real castle!), so hosting a KWAR in 2007 or 2008
          sounds really good to me.

          Staffan Arffuidsson

          --- In RoyalGuildofDefense@yahoogroups.com, Randy & Beth Berry