from the outside looking in

  • Giuliana
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 2, 2005
      I am very new to the fencing community and to the SCA in general, so
      I don't know the full history of Rapier in the West, what happened,
      why it happened, who did what, whatever. I don't really want the
      dirty laundry or soap opera. What I do want is to be involved in an
      active, productive, structured, educational, responsible and fun
      fencing community.

      Going to Estrella showed me many things. I was impressed and amazed
      at how our forces seemed to gel with each other even though we
      rarely see each other. I also got to see other kingdoms' fencing
      units. I have also been reading a lot of this discussion and still
      can't seem to figure out: Why don't we sign the White Scarf Treaty
      and play like everyone else in the known world??

      I know not everyone had signed it. But it seems to be the standard
      that is working in most places. I LOVE the results that I am seeing
      with the one White Scarf we have in the West Kingdom. I wish I
      could be a cadet. I wish there were more white scarves available to
      me.

      On the subject of additional events, I would really appreciate it if
      we could schedule things along with other already calendered events.
      Every single weekend for the next few months is taken with an SCA
      event. Some of us do have mundane lives to attend to as well. I
      think scheduling separate events will make for smaller turn outs.

      Just my two-lira,

      Giuliana
    • Staffan Arffuidson
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 2, 2005
        Greetings,

        *****I am very new to the fencing community and to the SCA in general,
        so I don't know the full history of Rapier in the West, what happened,
        why it happened, who did what, whatever. I don't really want the
        dirty laundry or soap opera. What I do want is to be involved in an
        active, productive, structured, educational, responsible and fun
        fencing community.*****

        Bypassing the history, everyone I know who supports and/or
        participates in rapier combat would like to see such a fencing
        community thrive. Whether they are Guild or not. One of my goals was
        to help out with the fencing so when I graduated college I would here,
        "We've always had a decent rapier community." That would make me
        happier than anything.

        What we are doing on this Yahoo!Group is to try to get the West
        Kingdom Royal Guild of Defence organized in a way that it can prosper.

        *****Going to Estrella showed me many things. I was impressed and
        amazed at how our forces seemed to gel with each other even though we
        rarely see each other. I also got to see other kingdoms' fencing
        units. I have also been reading a lot of this discussion and still
        can't seem to figure out: Why don't we sign the White Scarf Treaty
        and play like everyone else in the known world??*****

        That is a very good question. Unfortunately, that is a part of the
        history. The King of the West placed into the original charter that
        the West would not sign the White Scarf Treaty.

        The difference between the WKRGoD and the WST is that the White
        Scarves do not necessarily learn or teach period techniques. They are
        (generally) superb at the SCA-Hybrid fencing. Another issue that we
        need to pay attention to is the fact that there have been some who
        were honored with a White Scarf that did not deserve it. We need to
        be vigilant so this does not happen in the West.

        *****I know not everyone had signed it. But it seems to be the
        standard that is working in most places. I LOVE the results that I am
        seeing with the one White Scarf we have in the West Kingdom. I wish I
        could be a cadet. I wish there were more white scarves available to
        me.*****

        No, not everyone has signed it. The West, Middle, and even the East
        (the three oldest Kingdoms) have not signed it. Each of the kingdoms
        I have mentioned have come up with their own way to honor their rapier
        participants. The West has the WKRGoD, the Middle has the Warder (aka
        Bronze Ring), and the East has the Order of the Golden Rapier (OGR).

        I would have to say that Puck is the best White Scarf I have met, and
        I know a few. He does something that is different than most, in that
        he studies period techniques and attempts to apply them on the field.
        The only WS that I know who do that have been the ones studying side
        sword.

        In lieu of becoming a cadet you could become a Free Scholar and learn
        from one of our available people. Yes, there aren't that many people
        fencing, but that was due to the ban that happened (yet another
        history lesson). We are trying to grow, and welcome any ideas and
        actions that might make us into something greater.

        If we sign the White Scarf Treaty, and we have enough fencers
        throughout the kingdom, you should still take a good look at the
        person you wish to study under and find out if they are right for you.

        *****On the subject of additional events, I would really appreciate it
        if we could schedule things along with other already calendered
        events. Every single weekend for the next few months is taken with an
        SCA event. Some of us do have mundane lives to attend to as well. I
        think scheduling separate events will make for smaller turn outs.*****

        Fortunately/ unfortunately, the West does set up things every weekend.
        Sometimes there is an overlap that causes some rifts. I agree that
        there would be smaller turnouts if we had seperate events, and I do
        not want that to happen. I want as many people as possible impailing
        me on their blade!