Moving right along...

    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 29, 2005
      Ok then--we have a revised Charter, we have officers, we've got the
      website being updated, what's next, kids?? Where should we be
      heading, what should we be working on now?

      One suggestion I have is the idea of hosting KWAR here in the West. I
      think that this would be a grand project for the Guild to head up.
      I'm hoping to go to KWAR this year and if I am able, I will be talking
      to the autocrat team for this event to see what it takes to bid for
      it, and how involved it is to put on. I don't think that a "two years
      from now" goal is unresonable, given the rapier track this year for
      Fall Colligieum. We HAVE the talented instructors we would need here
      in the West, we just need to put them all together for a weekend.

      BTW--I'm looking for sponsors to help me get to KWAR. (Patrons?) Let
      me know if you are interested.

      Brigit
    • Tim Converse
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 29, 2005
        Well, seems to me there are a couple of things that have to be known
        right up front.

        1 - Do we really want to do this or not?
        Given that the meeting we had a few events back suggested that we did,
        I don't think we need to go into details, but it's always good to start
        at the beginning.

        2 - What will it take?
        There are a number of things we need to look at here:
        a - Who wants to run it?
        This is a big one. This can not be one person!
        b - Do we have enough teachers?
        c - Can we get more?
        1 - What kind of arrangements need to be made
        for guest teachers?
        d - What do we need in terms of a site?
        1 - class rooms?
        2 - open fields?
        3 - Accommodations?
        a - Hotel rates?
        e - Insurance considerations?
        1 - Will the SCA insurance be sufficient or
        will the site need something more?

        3 - When can we hold such an event?
        a - Getting a Calendar date.
        b - How long should it run?

        These would be the kinds of questions that I would think would need to
        be answered right up front. Many of these someone probably already
        knows the answers to simply because they have already been to KWAR before.

        But once we know these things this it should be possible to start
        fleshing out other details.

        Santiago

        Brigit wrote:
        > Ok then--we have a revised Charter, we have officers, we've got the
        > website being updated, what's next, kids?? Where should we be
        > heading, what should we be working on now?
        >
        > One suggestion I have is the idea of hosting KWAR here in the West. I
        > think that this would be a grand project for the Guild to head up.
        > I'm hoping to go to KWAR this year and if I am able, I will be talking
        > to the autocrat team for this event to see what it takes to bid for
        > it, and how involved it is to put on. I don't think that a "two years
        > from now" goal is unresonable, given the rapier track this year for
        > Fall Colligieum. We HAVE the talented instructors we would need here
        > in the West, we just need to put them all together for a weekend.
        >
        > BTW--I'm looking for sponsors to help me get to KWAR. (Patrons?) Let
        > me know if you are interested.
        >
        > Brigit
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links
        >

        > .

      • Sean Kiernan
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 29, 2005
          I think I can help in the following areas. See below
          1 - Do we really want to do this or not?
                Given that the meeting we had a few events back suggested that we did,
          I don't think we need to go into details, but it's always good to start
          at the beginning.

          2 - What will it take?
                There are a number of things we need to look at here:
                a - Who wants to run it?
                      This is a big one.  This can not be one person!
                b - Do we have enough teachers?
                c - Can we get more?
                      1 - What kind of arrangements need to be made
                          for guest teachers?
          I can probably get Tom Leoni(Fabris Tranlator) and Steve Fick (Davenrich School of Defence)

                d - What do we need in terms of a site?
                      1 - class rooms?
                      2 - open fields?
                      3 - Accommodations?
                            a - Hotel rates?
                e - Insurance considerations?
                      1 - Will the SCA insurance be sufficient or
                          will the site need something more?

          If SCA insurance will not cover this event My wife and I own a production company that puts together Ren fairs
          If we help host it I think we can get our insurance to cover the event

          Niccolo

          Brigit wrote:
          > Ok then--we have a revised Charter, we have officers, we've got the
          > website being updated, what's next, kids??  Where should we be
          > heading, what should we be working on now?
          >
          > One suggestion I have is the idea of hosting KWAR here in the West.  I
          > think that this would be a grand project for the Guild to head up.
          > I'm hoping to go to KWAR this year and if I am able, I will be talking
          > to the autocrat team for this event to see what it takes to bid for
          > it, and how involved it is to put on.  I don't think that a "two years
          > from now" goal is unresonable, given the rapier track this year for
          > Fall Colligieum.  We HAVE the talented instructors we would need here
          > in the West, we just need to put them all together for a weekend.
          >
          > BTW--I'm looking for sponsors to help me get to KWAR. (Patrons?)  Let
          > me know if you are interested.
          >
          > Brigit
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links
          >

          > .

        • Simon el Martillo de Cordoba
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 30, 2005
            --- In RoyalGuildofDefense@yahoogroups.com, <Niccolo, Brigit,Santiago >
            wrote:
            <snip>
            ======

            Just to let you know, that the Shire of Windy meads (Davis area) is
            possibly lanning to host "Western Rapier Collegium"(tenative name).

            They have started getting people to come back into windy meads and are
            considering organizing the event. (VER,VERY early planning stages)

            Niccolo, please contact me offline for any hosting you will want
            Alpensee to do.

            Simon
          • Randy & Beth Berry

              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 11, 2005

                To add to this train of thought, the Outlands held Known World
                Costume Symposium at the same time. If memory serves me correctly,
                this increased the number of people who attended the event and cut
                down on the costs.

                I also agree that we should see what it would take to get non-Western
                instructors as well, for this will help us increase our understanding
                of our chosen martial art.

                On a side note, I know that Drachenwald is planning to host KWAR 2006
                (possibly in a real castle!), so hosting a KWAR in 2007 or 2008
                sounds really good to me.

                Staffan Arffuidsson

                --- In RoyalGuildofDefense@yahoogroups.com, Randy & Beth Berry