Guild Imp/Prizes

  • David Falcon
    Message 1 of 30 , Feb 28, 2005
      As to prizes being made "a big deal" I whole-heartedly agree. A prize
      should be the biggest deal the Guild does. But, as Else said, not
      everyone on the Main Lists field is going to "get it". And while that
      is not a problem as long as there is not a time crunch on the Main
      Field, the time it takes to do a prize could cause resentment if time
      is being rationed. So, we have the prize, as formal and ostentations
      as we care to make it, on the practice field, and then present the
      successful candidates in court in as showy a manor as we can devices
      (note: showy does not have to mean long)

      As to the prize itself, I believe it needs to meet a few criteria:
      1). It needs to be done in a way that denotes its importance to the
      Guild
      A). It needs to be announced well in advance of the event
      b). It needs to be announced at the event
      c). It needs to NOT be rushed because of time
      d). The candidates needs to be in their best kit
      e). Anyone consulting on the prize needs to be in his or her
      best kit
      f) The field needs to be dressed up as well
      g). Non-Guild members do not participate in the fighting of
      the prize. This is a Guild ceremony, and needs to be respected as
      such.
      h. Royalty should always be invited to watch, and
      accommodation befitting Royalty should be available should they
      accept (and it would not be bad if the accomadation itself would be
      an insentive to get them to accept).
      2). The prize, as our biggest show, needs to be done at important
      events, not at a seperate Guild event.

      David
      Message 2 of 30 , Feb 28, 2005
        I've been wholeheartedly enjoying the discussion about the Guild on
        this and the other lists I am on (i.e. Westfence and the Marshal
        list). I think I see a need for those of us interested in this issue
        to meet face to face at an upcoming event--in other words, we need to
        have a Guild meeting--and I believe it needs to be one with a
        specific agenda announced in advance.

        We seem to have downtime at Crowns--would all be agreeable to asking
        for Guild meeting time at March Crown--that does not clash with
        tournament time or the countless Sunday morning meetings? If so, I
        will pursue asking for such time with Thomas--whom I am assuming is
        RMIC for Crown.

        Brigit
      • Staffan Arffuidson
        Message 3 of 30 , Feb 28, 2005

          First, please forgive me for not responding the first time that the
          Oerthan Guidelines were posted. I did not realize you were looking
          for people's opinions on it. I, for one find it to be very useful.

          Might I suggest that we in the central part of the Kingdom use these
          guidelines for at least a year and a day to see what we can accomplish
          with it? It would cause less headaches for those of us that are
          trying to rewrite the Guild charter. Yes, we can still discuss what
          needs to be done to improve our Guild, but this could help give us
          time to evaluate ourselves and the direction that we would like this
          Guild to go.

          Also, in your post, Sorcha, you said the following:
          "This Guild is built upon the tenants of the Society, which is a
          volunteer organization. To that point I find it disconcerting to think
          of having mandatory activity requirements in it."

          I am confused. In this you are saying that people should not do
          manditory requirements, but in the Guidelines you have it as encourage
          to be a marshal from Free Scholar on up, and for Provost on up you
          suggest that they should "Strive to enrich their Principality..".
          What is the difference between the annual participation and the
          Guidelines? I am not trying to pick on what the Oerthans did, I just
          am confused on the differences.

          As to communications, I agree with you whole heartedly. Anyone have
          suggestions on a decent communication method? E-mail those that are
          highly active on the internet and then have them pass on the word? I
          know that we are currently looking for a new host for our web site,
          and Anna Serra is heading that up.

          I would like to see us get a roster going some where so we CAN keep in
          contact with those that have chosen to perticipate in the Guild. We
          keep getting people show up who say "Yes, I am a guild member, and I
          am X rank". I am getting confused because I've never seen half of
          these people anywhere near a rapier blade.

          About leadership. This is a subject that is kind of a sore one for
          me. We have been discussing, quite often, in what ever means of
          communication we have had available, that we do not have anyone that
          we can say is our leader. Sorcha, as an Ancient Guildmaster, do you
          have any suggestions on who could be one?

          I have no problem continuing to be a Guild member who is trying to
          improve themselves and help the Guild, but it is kind of frustrating
          not knowing where this vessal is going since we seem to have lost our
          headwind. It is not unlike being in the doledrums. We are here but
          do not know when we will be moving on, nor the direction we will be
          able sail to.

          Thank you everyone for your willingness to help us flurish as a guild
          withing the West Kingdom.

          Staffan Arffuidsson,
          Journeyman, WKRGoD

          --- In RoyalGuildofDefense@yahoogroups.com, Randy Berry
          <AKFencer@n...> wrote:

          This is a needed discussion in order for the Guild to be healthy and
          functioning. I would like to thank those folks I had a chance to speak
          with about the Guild at Estrella. I know that there are differences
          between how the Guild has been active in Oertha as compared to the
          rest of West Kingdom. We have a system that seems to be working for
          the Oerthan members and I would like to share that with you so it can
          be looked at. Hopefully as we work through this process for everyone
          we won't have to re-invent the whole concept.

          Some background, we took the last form of the charter and some
          guidelines that were shared about 3-4 years ago and ran with it as
          there really was no system in place. Last September all the Oerthan
          guild members and supporters that could join us met and compare those
          with what was actually working for us and where we wanted it to go..
          We did not want to go through the rigmarole and heartache of working
          to change the Charter and instead came up with a set of Guidelines
          that can easily be adjusted as the Guild grows, evolves and matures.
          Those Guidelines were posted to the Guild Yahoo group by Nytshaed and
          I will add to the bottom of this also.

          Our members wanted to see a system where anyone showing interest could
          be involved be they a fencer or supporter (patron) of fencing. It is a
          system that is not exclusively based on fighting, but also on
          involvement with other aspects of the SCA. It does encourage the study
          of a period style to support the Re-creation of the period fighting
          forms. It has a more rounded aspect covering the A&S, Service,
          Fighting knowledge and overall SCA knowledge and support. The guild is
          used as a recognition of skill, knowledge and support. This has been
          working for us. They like to have goals to work towards and prefer at
          this time to have the stages set up in the charter of Scholar, Free
          Scholar, Journeyman, Provost and Guild master. Each of these levels
          have both an increasing knowledge of fencing skill, marshallate skill
          and support, and general (non fighting) SCA knowledge and
          participation. We encourage our members to become branch officers,
          autocrat events, do feasts........

          Please take a look at these guidelines. I received very little
          specific comment on them when we originally sent them down in October
          and I would like to know whether there is the possibility that they
          will work for you also.

          This Guild is built upon the tenants of the Society, which is a
          volunteer organization. To that point I find it disconcerting to think
          of having mandatory activity requirements in it. This does not seem
          member friendly to me and I feel we need to be encouraging and
          supportive of our members whether at this time they are running and
          involved with a bunch of activities or can only be involved once a
          year due to other circumstances. By being supportive, having an open
          and encouraging atmosphere we may be able to reconnect with those who
          have become inactive for various reasons.

          I feel a big issue is communication. It seems to me that we have a
          good number of people interested in seeing this Guild be successful
          and growing which can help us with disseminating that information.

          This includes both electronic, telephone, postal and in person as not
          everyone is available to all medias. I have found the best method is
          in person, but again I am way up in the North and have limited access
          to folks in the main part of the Kingdom. If we can establish that
          communications web, a structure or set of guidelines from which to
          start the conversation we can then get the input from our members.

          The last issue I feel is needed is leadership. There has been a lot of
          attrition in the ranks over the years for various reasons. We do need
          someone as a leader. I do not feel that the leader needs to be
          available everywhere but that they do need to be accessible and
          involved. Delegation is a great thing when it comes to getting more
          folks involved. It spreads the sense of ownership and pride.

          I thank you for the chance to share my thoughts and look forward to
          your input.

          In Service,
          Sorcha Careman
          AGMoF

          A Guide to the Ranks within the West Kingdom's Royal Guild of Fence
          Proposal - 9/29/2004

          This guide highlights the primary goals and duties of each rank within
          the Guild, and the process of advancement.

          Since a Society guild needs to be flexible in structure in order to
          adapt and thrive, this guide intentionally provides an outline only.
          Complex and rigid rules would need to be constantly revised and could
          impose unnecessary conformity, stifling the guilds' growth and its'
          ability to provide an avenue for re-creation and enjoyment.

          This guide provides enhancements and clarifications to the information
          in the Charter of the Guild, which remains the Guilds primary
          governing document. Under the Charter, the ultimate authority for the
          maintenance of the Guild lies with the Crown of the West, the Lord
          Guild Master, and the circle of Guild Masters.

          Note: Lines below that are marked with an asterisk (*) are taken
          directly from the Charter of the Guild.

          Rank: Scholar

          Acknowledgement: Any person who professes an interest in the Guild of
          Fence shall be admitted to the rank of Scholar. There are no
          requirements beyond an interest in Rapier in the Kingdom of the West.
          A Scholar is granted the right to be known by said rank and may wear
          the badge of the guild.

          Goals:
          1. Work towards basic fencing skills such as advance, retreat, thrust,
          lunge, defensive ward and offensive ward.
          2. Work towards authorizing as a rapier fighter under the rapier
          marshalette

          Duties:
          1. *Attend a school or receive instruction from a Journeyman, Provost
          or Guild Master.
          2. Scholars should actively look to Journeymen and above for
          assignments for service to the kingdom and the guild.

          On Becoming a Free Scholar:
          1. *Must qualify as an authorized fighter under the rapier marshalette
          2. *Playing of the prize should be after a minimum of one month
          instruction.
          3. *Obtain consent from Guild Master, Provost or Journeyman prior to
          playing Prize for advancement.
          4. Can be fought on the local level, (a local event, regional practice,
          etc.).
          5. *The prize will be fought against at least two opponents at the
          rank of Free scholar and above under the direction of a Provost or
          Guild Master.
          6. *A failed prize may not be re-fought until a full three months has
          elapsed since the most recent attempt.

          Rank: Free Scholar

          Acknowledgement: A Fighter who is a member of the Guild. A Free
          Scholar is granted the right to be known by said rank and to wear the
          badge of the guild in silver.

          Goals:
          1. Encouraged to obtain their own equipment.
          2. Work towards authorizing in at least 3 weapons forms under the
          rapier marshalette.
          3. Encouraged to authorize for combat marshal.

          Duties:
          1. Should strive to become adept at period fencing techniques under
          the instruction of a Provost or Guild Master.
          2. *Participate in displays of Combat and the Playing of Prizes by
          aspiring Free Scholars.
          3. Encouraged to participate as a Marshal in Training (MIT).

          On Becoming a Journeyman:
          1. *Successful authorization in at least 3 weapons forms under the
          rapier marshalette
          2. *Playing of the prize should be after a minimum of three months of
          playing their Free Scholar Prize.
          3. *Obtain consent from Guild Master, Provost or Journeyman prior to
          playing Prize for advancement.
          4. Can be fought on the local level, (a local event, regional
          practice, etc.).
          5. *The prize will be fought against at least two opponents at the
          rank of Journeyman and above under the direction of a Provost or Guild
          Master.
          6. *A failed prize may not be re-fought until a full three months has
          elapsed since the most recent attempt.

          Rank: Journeyman

          Acknowledgement: An accomplished fighter who has shown skill and
          dedication to Rapier in the West. A Journeyman is granted the right to
          be known by said rank and to wear a green sash and the guild badge in
          silver.

          Goals:
          1. Should work towards effective ability with all weapons styles.
          2. Should strive to become knowledgeable in society structure and culture.
          3. Should strive to become knowledgeable in period fencing techniques.
          4. Encouraged to authorize for Advanced Marshal.
          5. Encouraged to participate with marshallate at local branch levels.

          Duties:
          1. Should be active in the SCA in activities beyond the scope of the
          Guild.
          2. Assist in the management of displays of Rapier Combat and Prizes.
          3. *With the permission of a Provost or Guild Master, may teach
          Scholars and Free Scholars who wish instruction.
          4. *With permission of a Provost or Guild Master, may establish their
          own School of Fence to the benefit of the Kingdom.
          5. *Continue to study under a Provost or Guild Master.
          6. *Participate in displays of Combat and the Playing of Prizes by
          aspiring Journeyman and Free Scholars.

          On Becoming a Provost:

          1. *Playing of the prize should be after a minimum of six months of
          playing their Journeyman Prize.
          2. *Must be sponsored by at least two Provosts or one Guild Master,
          who must inform the Lord Guild Master.
          3. The prize must be played at a principality or kingdom level event.
          4. *The prize will be fought against at least two opponents at the
          rank of Provost and above under the direction of a Guild Master.
          5. *A failed prize may not be re-fought until a full three months has
          elapsed since the most recent attempt.

          Rank: Provost

          Acknowledgement: An accomplished fighter who shares their skill and
          knowledge through the medium of teaching. A Provost is granted the
          right to be known by said rank and to wear a Blue sash and the guild
          badge in silver.

          Goals:
          1. Encouraged to have the skills of a Senior Marshal.
          2. Should assist the Rapier Marshal in Charge (RMIC) and be RMIC for
          at least one event.
          3. Should demonstrate ability to teach under the supervision of a
          Guild Master.
          4. *Strive to enrich the Principality in which they live or serve the
          Kingdom in some notable fashion.

          Duties:
          1. With permission of a Guild Master should establish a School of
          Fence or help with a Guild Masters School of Fence.
          2. Should be sponsored and under the instruction of a Guild Master.
          3. Encourages Scholars, Freescholars and Journeymen.
          4. Bring to the attention of his or her Guild Master anyone worthy of
          being a Journeyman.
          5. Should keep a resume for all of their students.
          6. *Assist in the organization and coordinating of Rapier activities
          within the Kingdom.
          7. *Participate in displays of Combat and the Playing of Prizes by
          aspiring Provost, Journeyman and Free Scholars

          On Becoming a Guild Master/Courtier:
          1. *Upon invitation from the Body of Guild Masters and the Crown, may
          play Prize for Guild Master/Courtier.
          2. *Playing of the prize should be after a minimum of six months of
          playing their Provost Prize.
          3. Should have enriched the Kingdom of The West to the satisfaction of
          the circle of Guild Masters and the Crown.
          4. *During the six months prior to the Prize, the candidate will
          prepare either an original document, or an oral presentation and
          accompanying physical display demonstrating their knowledge of at
          least one Period School or Treatise of Fence to be presented to the
          Crown or its duly appointed representative prior to commencement of
          their Guild Masters Prize.
          5. The Lord Guild Master and the circle of Guild Masters must be
          informed prior to the playing of the prize.
          6. Must be fought at a principality or kingdom level event.
          7. *Must be fought against at least two or more Guild Masters
          8. On successful completion of the prize the individual will be known
          there after as a Guild Master. A date will be set within three months
          for the presentation of the award. (the Charter says this will occur
          at the next Royal Court).
          9. *A failed prize may not be re-fought until a full three months has
          elapsed since the most recent attempt.

          Rank: Guild Master of Fence/Courtier to The Crown of the West

          Acknowledgement: A master of period Rapier who has contributed
          significantly to the advancement of Rapier in the Kingdom of the West
          and works on directing the course of the Guild. A Guild Master/
          Courtier is granted the right to be known by said rank and to wear a
          Black sash or glove and the guild badge in gold.

          Award: A Guild Master is a Grant of Arms level award and can be
          written as Honorable Lord (Name), GmoF or Guild Master (Name).

          Duties:
          1. Should strive to continue enriching the Kingdom of the West through
          the Guild of Fence and beyond.
          2. A Guild Master can create Scholars and Freescholars on the spot under
          any circumstances that they deem worthy.
          3. A Guild Master can create Journeyman on the spot for circumstances
          they deem worthy as long as the individual meets the requirements of a
          Journeyman.
          4. A Guild Master is charged with creating and maintaining schools of
          fence. Guild Masters may delegate the running of the schools to
          Provost (highly recommended) but may not relinquish responsibility and
          or authority to said Provost.
          5. A Guild Master is charged with training, and guiding all Provosts.
          6. *Guild Masters are charged with bringing to the attention of the
          circle of Guild Masters and the crown any Provost deemed worthy to
          become a Guild Master.
          7. A majority of the Guild Masters present at an official circle must
          agree that the Provost can play their Prize.
          8. The Lord Guild Master will then take the petition the Crown for
          approval and a date will be set for the prize.
          9. *To endeavor to be present to Play the Prize with the applicant, if
          at all able. At least two Guild Masters must be present for the Prize
          to be played.
          10. A Guild Master is charged with the maintenance and support of the
          Royal Guild of Fence.

          This proposal (9/30/2004) was developed by the following members of
          the Guild:

          Viscountess Sorcha Careman, OL, OP, Ancient Guild Master WKGoF
          Viscount Georg of Glaciers Edge, KSCA, OP, Courtier to the Crown of
          the West WKGoF
          Lord Nytshaed of Golden Rivers, Provost WKGoF
          Baron Tancred de Fraser, OL, OP, Journeyman WKGoF
          Lady Viola Carrera, Journeyman WKGoF
          Lady Bianca Rose Byrnes, Journeyman WKGoF
          Master Broeck of Witby, OP, Free Scholar WKGoF
          Mistress Margaret Anne of Somerset, OL, Free Scholar WKGoF
          Lady Angustius McKeown, Scholar WKGoF
          Lady Yukiko, Scholar WKGoF
          Viscountess Amber Kenna, Scholar WKGoF