Guild Imp/field space

  • David Falcon
    Message 1 of 30 , Feb 28, 2005
      Else obliquely brought up an issue that I consider to be key to the
      advancement of the Guild. She mentions that if the Guild hogs too
      much time on the given corner of the Lists field that no non-Guild
      fencers will be able to fence.

      As long as the main List field is the only place that fencing may
      occur, fencing time will be a limited and rationed commodity. And
      given that we are not on the top of the food chain, fencing in
      general, and the Guild in particular, will feel the effects of that
      rationing. I see that as a bad thing.

      So, my belief is that the Guild should pursue a policy that, just as
      all other Guilds may have a space to practice their arts, we should
      also have it as given that the Guild may set up a "practice field"
      where we may teach, hold prizes, and practice. And if there are time
      issues on the Main List fields, we can graciously offer to hold
      preliminary bouts to main Fencing Tournaments, and secondary
      tournaments on the practice field. If that practice field is
      contiguious to the main field, no problem, as long as it is
      understood that it is the Guilds airea to use as the Guild has need.

      David
    • David Falcon
      Message 2 of 30 , Feb 28, 2005
        As to prizes being made "a big deal" I whole-heartedly agree. A prize
        should be the biggest deal the Guild does. But, as Else said, not
        everyone on the Main Lists field is going to "get it". And while that
        is not a problem as long as there is not a time crunch on the Main
        Field, the time it takes to do a prize could cause resentment if time
        is being rationed. So, we have the prize, as formal and ostentations
        as we care to make it, on the practice field, and then present the
        successful candidates in court in as showy a manor as we can devices
        (note: showy does not have to mean long)

        As to the prize itself, I believe it needs to meet a few criteria:
        1). It needs to be done in a way that denotes its importance to the
        Guild
        A). It needs to be announced well in advance of the event
        b). It needs to be announced at the event
        c). It needs to NOT be rushed because of time
        d). The candidates needs to be in their best kit
        e). Anyone consulting on the prize needs to be in his or her
        best kit
        f) The field needs to be dressed up as well
        g). Non-Guild members do not participate in the fighting of
        the prize. This is a Guild ceremony, and needs to be respected as
        such.
        h. Royalty should always be invited to watch, and
        accommodation befitting Royalty should be available should they
        accept (and it would not be bad if the accomadation itself would be
        an insentive to get them to accept).
        2). The prize, as our biggest show, needs to be done at important
        events, not at a seperate Guild event.

        David
        Message 3 of 30 , Feb 28, 2005
          I've been wholeheartedly enjoying the discussion about the Guild on
          this and the other lists I am on (i.e. Westfence and the Marshal
          list). I think I see a need for those of us interested in this issue
          to meet face to face at an upcoming event--in other words, we need to
          have a Guild meeting--and I believe it needs to be one with a
          specific agenda announced in advance.

          We seem to have downtime at Crowns--would all be agreeable to asking
          for Guild meeting time at March Crown--that does not clash with
          tournament time or the countless Sunday morning meetings? If so, I
          will pursue asking for such time with Thomas--whom I am assuming is
          RMIC for Crown.

          Brigit
        • Staffan Arffuidson
          Message 4 of 30 , Feb 28, 2005
            Greetings,

            First, please forgive me for not responding the first time that the
            Oerthan Guidelines were posted. I did not realize you were looking
            for people's opinions on it. I, for one find it to be very useful.

            Might I suggest that we in the central part of the Kingdom use these
            guidelines for at least a year and a day to see what we can accomplish
            with it? It would cause less headaches for those of us that are
            trying to rewrite the Guild charter. Yes, we can still discuss what
            needs to be done to improve our Guild, but this could help give us
            time to evaluate ourselves and the direction that we would like this
            Guild to go.

            Also, in your post, Sorcha, you said the following:
            "This Guild is built upon the tenants of the Society, which is a
            volunteer organization. To that point I find it disconcerting to think
            of having mandatory activity requirements in it."

            I am confused. In this you are saying that people should not do
            manditory requirements, but in the Guidelines you have it as encourage
            to be a marshal from Free Scholar on up, and for Provost on up you
            suggest that they should "Strive to enrich their Principality..".
            What is the difference between the annual participation and the
            Guidelines? I am not trying to pick on what the Oerthans did, I just
            am confused on the differences.

            As to communications, I agree with you whole heartedly. Anyone have
            suggestions on a decent communication method? E-mail those that are
            highly active on the internet and then have them pass on the word? I
            know that we are currently looking for a new host for our web site,
            and Anna Serra is heading that up.

            I would like to see us get a roster going some where so we CAN keep in
            contact with those that have chosen to perticipate in the Guild. We
            keep getting people show up who say "Yes, I am a guild member, and I
            am X rank". I am getting confused because I've never seen half of
            these people anywhere near a rapier blade.

            About leadership. This is a subject that is kind of a sore one for
            me. We have been discussing, quite often, in what ever means of
            communication we have had available, that we do not have anyone that
            we can say is our leader. Sorcha, as an Ancient Guildmaster, do you
            have any suggestions on who could be one?

            I have no problem continuing to be a Guild member who is trying to
            improve themselves and help the Guild, but it is kind of frustrating
            not knowing where this vessal is going since we seem to have lost our
            headwind. It is not unlike being in the doledrums. We are here but
            do not know when we will be moving on, nor the direction we will be
            able sail to.

            Thank you everyone for your willingness to help us flurish as a guild
            withing the West Kingdom.

            Staffan Arffuidsson,
            Journeyman, WKRGoD

            --- In RoyalGuildofDefense@yahoogroups.com, Randy Berry
            <AKFencer@n...> wrote:

            This is a needed discussion in order for the Guild to be healthy and
            functioning. I would like to thank those folks I had a chance to speak
            with about the Guild at Estrella. I know that there are differences
            between how the Guild has been active in Oertha as compared to the
            rest of West Kingdom. We have a system that seems to be working for
            the Oerthan members and I would like to share that with you so it can
            be looked at. Hopefully as we work through this process for everyone
            we won't have to re-invent the whole concept.

            Some background, we took the last form of the charter and some
            guidelines that were shared about 3-4 years ago and ran with it as
            there really was no system in place. Last September all the Oerthan
            guild members and supporters that could join us met and compare those
            with what was actually working for us and where we wanted it to go..
            We did not want to go through the rigmarole and heartache of working
            to change the Charter and instead came up with a set of Guidelines
            that can easily be adjusted as the Guild grows, evolves and matures.
            Those Guidelines were posted to the Guild Yahoo group by Nytshaed and
            I will add to the bottom of this also.

            Our members wanted to see a system where anyone showing interest could
            be involved be they a fencer or supporter (patron) of fencing. It is a
            system that is not exclusively based on fighting, but also on
            involvement with other aspects of the SCA. It does encourage the study
            of a period style to support the Re-creation of the period fighting
            forms. It has a more rounded aspect covering the A&S, Service,
            Fighting knowledge and overall SCA knowledge and support. The guild is
            used as a recognition of skill, knowledge and support. This has been
            working for us. They like to have goals to work towards and prefer at
            this time to have the stages set up in the charter of Scholar, Free
            Scholar, Journeyman, Provost and Guild master. Each of these levels
            have both an increasing knowledge of fencing skill, marshallate skill
            and support, and general (non fighting) SCA knowledge and
            participation. We encourage our members to become branch officers,
            autocrat events, do feasts........

            Please take a look at these guidelines. I received very little
            specific comment on them when we originally sent them down in October
            and I would like to know whether there is the possibility that they
            will work for you also.

            This Guild is built upon the tenants of the Society, which is a
            volunteer organization. To that point I find it disconcerting to think
            of having mandatory activity requirements in it. This does not seem
            member friendly to me and I feel we need to be encouraging and
            supportive of our members whether at this time they are running and
            involved with a bunch of activities or can only be involved once a
            year due to other circumstances. By being supportive, having an open
            and encouraging atmosphere we may be able to reconnect with those who
            have become inactive for various reasons.

            I feel a big issue is communication. It seems to me that we have a
            good number of people interested in seeing this Guild be successful
            and growing which can help us with disseminating that information.

            This includes both electronic, telephone, postal and in person as not
            everyone is available to all medias. I have found the best method is
            in person, but again I am way up in the North and have limited access
            to folks in the main part of the Kingdom. If we can establish that
            communications web, a structure or set of guidelines from which to
            start the conversation we can then get the input from our members.

            The last issue I feel is needed is leadership. There has been a lot of
            attrition in the ranks over the years for various reasons. We do need
            someone as a leader. I do not feel that the leader needs to be
            available everywhere but that they do need to be accessible and
            involved. Delegation is a great thing when it comes to getting more
            folks involved. It spreads the sense of ownership and pride.

            I thank you for the chance to share my thoughts and look forward to
            your input.

            In Service,
            Sorcha Careman
            AGMoF

            A Guide to the Ranks within the West Kingdom's Royal Guild of Fence
            Proposal - 9/29/2004

            This guide highlights the primary goals and duties of each rank within
            the Guild, and the process of advancement.

            Since a Society guild needs to be flexible in structure in order to
            adapt and thrive, this guide intentionally provides an outline only.
            Complex and rigid rules would need to be constantly revised and could
            impose unnecessary conformity, stifling the guilds' growth and its'
            ability to provide an avenue for re-creation and enjoyment.

            This guide provides enhancements and clarifications to the information
            in the Charter of the Guild, which remains the Guilds primary
            governing document. Under the Charter, the ultimate authority for the
            maintenance of the Guild lies with the Crown of the West, the Lord
            Guild Master, and the circle of Guild Masters.

            Note: Lines below that are marked with an asterisk (*) are taken
            directly from the Charter of the Guild.

            Rank: Scholar

            Acknowledgement: Any person who professes an interest in the Guild of
            Fence shall be admitted to the rank of Scholar. There are no
            requirements beyond an interest in Rapier in the Kingdom of the West.
            A Scholar is granted the right to be known by said rank and may wear
            the badge of the guild.

            Goals:
            1. Work towards basic fencing skills such as advance, retreat, thrust,
            lunge, defensive ward and offensive ward.
            2. Work towards authorizing as a rapier fighter under the rapier
            marshalette

            Duties:
            1. *Attend a school or receive instruction from a Journeyman, Provost
            or Guild Master.
            2. Scholars should actively look to Journeymen and above for
            assignments for service to the kingdom and the guild.

            On Becoming a Free Scholar:
            1. *Must qualify as an authorized fighter under the rapier marshalette
            2. *Playing of the prize should be after a minimum of one month
            instruction.
            3. *Obtain consent from Guild Master, Provost or Journeyman prior to
            playing Prize for advancement.
            4. Can be fought on the local level, (a local event, regional practice,
            etc.).
            5. *The prize will be fought against at least two opponents at the
            rank of Free scholar and above under the direction of a Provost or
            Guild Master.
            6. *A failed prize may not be re-fought until a full three months has
            elapsed since the most recent attempt.

            Rank: Free Scholar

            Acknowledgement: A Fighter who is a member of the Guild. A Free
            Scholar is granted the right to be known by said rank and to wear the
            badge of the guild in silver.

            Goals:
            1. Encouraged to obtain their own equipment.
            2. Work towards authorizing in at least 3 weapons forms under the
            rapier marshalette.
            3. Encouraged to authorize for combat marshal.

            Duties:
            1. Should strive to become adept at period fencing techniques under
            the instruction of a Provost or Guild Master.
            2. *Participate in displays of Combat and the Playing of Prizes by
            aspiring Free Scholars.
            3. Encouraged to participate as a Marshal in Training (MIT).

            On Becoming a Journeyman:
            1. *Successful authorization in at least 3 weapons forms under the
            rapier marshalette
            2. *Playing of the prize should be after a minimum of three months of
            playing their Free Scholar Prize.
            3. *Obtain consent from Guild Master, Provost or Journeyman prior to
            playing Prize for advancement.
            4. Can be fought on the local level, (a local event, regional
            practice, etc.).
            5. *The prize will be fought against at least two opponents at the
            rank of Journeyman and above under the direction of a Provost or Guild
            Master.
            6. *A failed prize may not be re-fought until a full three months has
            elapsed since the most recent attempt.

            Rank: Journeyman

            Acknowledgement: An accomplished fighter who has shown skill and
            dedication to Rapier in the West. A Journeyman is granted the right to
            be known by said rank and to wear a green sash and the guild badge in
            silver.

            Goals:
            1. Should work towards effective ability with all weapons styles.
            2. Should strive to become knowledgeable in society structure and culture.
            3. Should strive to become knowledgeable in period fencing techniques.
            4. Encouraged to authorize for Advanced Marshal.
            5. Encouraged to participate with marshallate at local branch levels.

            Duties:
            1. Should be active in the SCA in activities beyond the scope of the
            Guild.
            2. Assist in the management of displays of Rapier Combat and Prizes.
            3. *With the permission of a Provost or Guild Master, may teach
            Scholars and Free Scholars who wish instruction.
            4. *With permission of a Provost or Guild Master, may establish their
            own School of Fence to the benefit of the Kingdom.
            5. *Continue to study under a Provost or Guild Master.
            6. *Participate in displays of Combat and the Playing of Prizes by
            aspiring Journeyman and Free Scholars.

            On Becoming a Provost:

            1. *Playing of the prize should be after a minimum of six months of
            playing their Journeyman Prize.
            2. *Must be sponsored by at least two Provosts or one Guild Master,
            who must inform the Lord Guild Master.
            3. The prize must be played at a principality or kingdom level event.
            4. *The prize will be fought against at least two opponents at the
            rank of Provost and above under the direction of a Guild Master.
            5. *A failed prize may not be re-fought until a full three months has
            elapsed since the most recent attempt.

            Rank: Provost

            Acknowledgement: An accomplished fighter who shares their skill and
            knowledge through the medium of teaching. A Provost is granted the
            right to be known by said rank and to wear a Blue sash and the guild
            badge in silver.

            Goals:
            1. Encouraged to have the skills of a Senior Marshal.
            2. Should assist the Rapier Marshal in Charge (RMIC) and be RMIC for
            at least one event.
            3. Should demonstrate ability to teach under the supervision of a
            Guild Master.
            4. *Strive to enrich the Principality in which they live or serve the
            Kingdom in some notable fashion.

            Duties:
            1. With permission of a Guild Master should establish a School of
            Fence or help with a Guild Masters School of Fence.
            2. Should be sponsored and under the instruction of a Guild Master.
            3. Encourages Scholars, Freescholars and Journeymen.
            4. Bring to the attention of his or her Guild Master anyone worthy of
            being a Journeyman.
            5. Should keep a resume for all of their students.
            6. *Assist in the organization and coordinating of Rapier activities
            within the Kingdom.
            7. *Participate in displays of Combat and the Playing of Prizes by
            aspiring Provost, Journeyman and Free Scholars

            On Becoming a Guild Master/Courtier:
            1. *Upon invitation from the Body of Guild Masters and the Crown, may
            play Prize for Guild Master/Courtier.
            2. *Playing of the prize should be after a minimum of six months of
            playing their Provost Prize.
            3. Should have enriched the Kingdom of The West to the satisfaction of
            the circle of Guild Masters and the Crown.
            4. *During the six months prior to the Prize, the candidate will
            prepare either an original document, or an oral presentation and
            accompanying physical display demonstrating their knowledge of at
            least one Period School or Treatise of Fence to be presented to the
            Crown or its duly appointed representative prior to commencement of
            their Guild Masters Prize.
            5. The Lord Guild Master and the circle of Guild Masters must be
            informed prior to the playing of the prize.
            6. Must be fought at a principality or kingdom level event.
            7. *Must be fought against at least two or more Guild Masters
            8. On successful completion of the prize the individual will be known
            there after as a Guild Master. A date will be set within three months
            for the presentation of the award. (the Charter says this will occur
            at the next Royal Court).
            9. *A failed prize may not be re-fought until a full three months has
            elapsed since the most recent attempt.

            Rank: Guild Master of Fence/Courtier to The Crown of the West

            Acknowledgement: A master of period Rapier who has contributed
            significantly to the advancement of Rapier in the Kingdom of the West
            and works on directing the course of the Guild. A Guild Master/
            Courtier is granted the right to be known by said rank and to wear a
            Black sash or glove and the guild badge in gold.

            Award: A Guild Master is a Grant of Arms level award and can be
            written as Honorable Lord (Name), GmoF or Guild Master (Name).

            Duties:
            1. Should strive to continue enriching the Kingdom of the West through
            the Guild of Fence and beyond.
            2. A Guild Master can create Scholars and Freescholars on the spot under
            any circumstances that they deem worthy.
            3. A Guild Master can create Journeyman on the spot for circumstances
            they deem worthy as long as the individual meets the requirements of a
            Journeyman.
            4. A Guild Master is charged with creating and maintaining schools of
            fence. Guild Masters may delegate the running of the schools to
            Provost (highly recommended) but may not relinquish responsibility and
            or authority to said Provost.
            5. A Guild Master is charged with training, and guiding all Provosts.
            6. *Guild Masters are charged with bringing to the attention of the
            circle of Guild Masters and the crown any Provost deemed worthy to
            become a Guild Master.
            7. A majority of the Guild Masters present at an official circle must
            agree that the Provost can play their Prize.
            8. The Lord Guild Master will then take the petition the Crown for
            approval and a date will be set for the prize.
            9. *To endeavor to be present to Play the Prize with the applicant, if
            at all able. At least two Guild Masters must be present for the Prize
            to be played.
            10. A Guild Master is charged with the maintenance and support of the
            Royal Guild of Fence.

            This proposal (9/30/2004) was developed by the following members of
            the Guild:

            Viscountess Sorcha Careman, OL, OP, Ancient Guild Master WKGoF
            Viscount Georg of Glaciers Edge, KSCA, OP, Courtier to the Crown of
            the West WKGoF
            Lord Nytshaed of Golden Rivers, Provost WKGoF
            Baron Tancred de Fraser, OL, OP, Journeyman WKGoF
            Lady Viola Carrera, Journeyman WKGoF
            Lady Bianca Rose Byrnes, Journeyman WKGoF
            Master Broeck of Witby, OP, Free Scholar WKGoF
            Mistress Margaret Anne of Somerset, OL, Free Scholar WKGoF
            Lady Angustius McKeown, Scholar WKGoF
            Lady Yukiko, Scholar WKGoF
            Viscountess Amber Kenna, Scholar WKGoF