Once Again into the Breach My Friends...

    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 12, 2005

      Guild Badge.

      Unfortunately the original one that has been used will not pass.

      I am still trying to gather possible submissions for a badge for the
      members of the Guild to wear and honor the West with. Unfortunately,
      the last time I asked for ideas, the favored ones were not able to
      pass the College of Heralds. Since I plan on attending less events
      (due to school) I would like to help out the Guild in this fashion.
      If you have suggestions, please e-mail them to me and I will work with
      the heralds on finding a couple that will pass. Once we can get to
      that stage, I will then put the ones out there for the Guild members
      to vote upon.

      I will continue to collect ideas until 12th Night. After that I will
      try to get with the heralds for phase two.

      Please let me know if you have any questions. Thank you for your time
      and patience.

      In Service,

      Staffan Arffuidsson
      Journeyman, WKRGoD
    • Barone Antonio Giordano da Sicilia
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 14, 2005
        --- In RoyalGuildofDefense@yahoogroups.com, "Staffan Arffuidsson"
        <arffuidson@y...> wrote in part: "Unfortunately the original [Guild
        Badge] that has been used will not pass. I am still trying to gather
        possible submissions for a badge for the members of the Guild to wear
        and honor the West with. Unfortunately, the last time I asked for
        ideas, the favored ones were not able to pass the College of Heralds."

        Two suggestions... it would be nice to incorporate the West Kingdom
        Populace Badge in the design (as we did previously) and the more
        simple the design, the better (heraldically).

        If we were to take the populace badge and place a horizontal sword
        (rapier) in chief (on top) or in base (on bottom), pointing dexter
        (right) or sinister (left), it should pass as long as it is approved
        by the Crown. The problem with the time honored, first badge was
        that the College of Heralds determined that there was not enough of
        an optical difference between the sword and the demi-sun (i.e. the
        eye couldn't distinguish the sword and the demi-sun).

        As long as the Crown/Seneschal signs off on the badge, e.g. at Purg,
        it could be submitted by mail, e.g. prior to the September Herald's
        Meeting. Furthermore, even though there are some individuals in the
        Kingdom who may not like the Guild utilizing the populace badge, it
        is ultimately up to the Crown and the royalty stepping up at Purg
        approved our previous submission. The good news is that we (the
        guild), have an open file with the College of Heralds and we do not
        need to track down a check et al. to send in our submission. We
        simply need to fill out the form and obtain the Crown's/Seneschal's
        permission before we send it in to the college.

        As for the previous submission, while it will never be official, it
        is part of the guild's history and as we can never register it
        officially, no one else can as well.

        In service,

        Antonio
        Journeyman (and herald, P.E.)
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 14, 2005

          I like the sword in base one.

          I really would like to see the populace badge as a part of the Guild
          badge. Most of the other kingdom rapier awards seem to incorporate a
          piece of their kingdom's populace badge or kingdom device on it.

          As for the old one, well, it also conflicted with someone's personal
          device that had a lavender plant (or something like it).

          Would other members of this Guild be interested in Antonio's idea for
          a badge, and should we rush it off to Purg?

          In Service,
          Staffan Arffuidsson
          Journeyman, WKRGoD

          --- In RoyalGuildofDefense@yahoogroups.com, "Barone Antonio Giordano
          da Sicilia" <dragonslair88@y...> wrote:

[...]

        • Robert Benson
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 14, 2005
            I also like the idea of the populace badge as part of
            the guild badge
            Robert

            --- Staffan Arffuidsson <arffuidson@...> wrote:

            > Greetings,
            >
            > I like the sword in base one.
            >
            > I really would like to see the populace badge as a
            > part of the Guild
            > badge. Most of the other kingdom rapier awards seem
            > to incorporate a
            > piece of their kingdom's populace badge or kingdom
            > device on it.
            >
            > As for the old one, well, it also conflicted with
            > someone's personal
            > device that had a lavender plant (or something like
            > it).
            >
            > Would other members of this Guild be interested in
            > Antonio's idea for
            > a badge, and should we rush it off to Purg?
            >
            > In Service,
            > Staffan Arffuidsson
            > Journeyman, WKRGoD
            >

            > --- In RoyalGuildofDefense@yahoogroups.com, "Barone
            > Antonio Giordano
            > da Sicilia" <dragonslair88@y...> wrote:
            >

            > --- In RoyalGuildofDefense@yahoogroups.com, "Staffan
            > Arffuidsson"
            >
            > Two suggestions... it would be nice to incorporate
            > the West Kingdom
            > Populace Badge in the design (as we did previously)
            > and the more
            > simple the design, the better (heraldically).
            >
            > If we were to take the populace badge and place a
            > horizontal sword
            > (rapier) in chief (on top) or in base (on bottom),
            > pointing dexter
            > (right) or sinister (left), it should pass as long
            > as it is approved
            > by the Crown. The problem with the time honored,
            > first badge was that
            > the College of Heralds determined that there was not
            > enough of an
            > optical difference between the sword and the
            > demi-sun (i.e. the eye
            > couldn't distinguish the sword and the demi-sun).
            >
            > As long as the Crown/Seneschal signs off on the
            > badge, e.g. at Purg,
            > it could be submitted by mail, e.g. prior to the
            > September Herald's
            > Meeting. Furthermore, even though there are some
            > individuals in the
            > Kingdom who may not like the Guild utilizing the
            > populace badge, it is
            > ultimately up to the Crown and the royalty stepping
            > up at Purg
            > approved our previous submission. The good news is
            > that we (the
            > guild), have an open file with the College of
            > Heralds and we do not
            > need to track down a check et al. to send in our
            > submission. We
            > simply need to fill out the form and obtain the
            > Crown's/Seneschal's
            > permission before we send it in to the college.
            >
            > As for the previous submission, while it will never
            > be official, it is
            > part of the guild's history and as we can never
            > register it
            > officially, no one else can as well.
            >
            > In service,
            >
            > Antonio
            > Journeyman (and herald, P.E.)

          • Jeff Richardson
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 14, 2005
              I like it. It is the closest to the current badge I have heard. I like it
              better than any of the alternate badges that have been suggested before. I
              say go for it.

              Lessingham

              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 15, 2005
                <arffuidson@y...> wrote in part:
                > I like the sword in base one.
                > I really would like to see the populace badge as a part of the Guild
                > badge. Most of the other kingdom rapier awards seem to incorporate
                > a piece of their kingdom's populace badge or kingdom device on it.

                I would imagine that apart from informally polling the members of the
                guild, the task of selecting the proposed guild badge would ultimately
                be the responsibility of Her Ladyship, our Guildmaster. As for the
                rapier being placed in base, I like that best as well, but the rapier
                being placed either in base or in chief is aesthetically pleasing.

                Antonio
                Journeyman
              • crimsonkyl
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 15, 2005
                  I prefer in base, both for visual effect, and for the concept of rapier
                  serving the populace.

                  Crimson