Re: [RoyalGuildofDefense] Re: Fencing Charter Update

  • Tim Converse
    Message 1 of 45 , May 5, 2005
      The rank of Courtier is not awarded by the Guild. It's awarded by the
      Crown. So the guild can't really set a standard exactly. The existing
      Courtiers can recommend someone to the Crown along the same model lines
      as Peers recommending a candidate to the Crown.

      In this model the existing Courtiers are setting a "personal" standard
      in the same way that the Peers do and you just can't really legislate that.

      Santiago

      crimsonkyl wrote:
      > Maybe I am missing something here, but what about the Courtier?
      >
      > -Crimson

    • Simón el Martillo de Cordoba
      Message 45 of 45 , Jun 7, 2005
        --- In RoyalGuildofDefense@yahoogroups.com, "P-) J." <oso@o...> wrote:
        > see subj, what do you think?

        see subj, what do you think?

        Staffan Arffuidsson wrote:

        > Hälsningar,
        >
        > I had a question for those who know more than me.
        >
        > If you have studied Saviolo, St. Didier, Capo Ferro, and a number of
        > others you need to have your "off-hand" available to perry incoming
        > attacks. Yet in the SCA, due to our rules, you might have had either
        > one of your hands "taken".
        >
        > This leads up to my question; what actions do you need to do to
        > maintain "period technique" while fighting one-handed.

        =====
        **The following statements are my personal opinions and are not in
        the WKRC rules**

        if you lose your hand from a stab completely, you should not have
        the use of your hand at all. If I was a victim my hand would not be
        able to ball up into a fist as we do.
        If it's from a cut, depending on where you have been cut and how
        hard the cut was inflicted you would not be able to close your hand
        completely (and in my opinion, why would I put my hand back out there
        to be attacked again?..ACK!) Losing use of my hand is not life
        threatening in itself, but throws any lunges or big attacks off
        balance. The only thing I would see historically for a cut wrist or
        hand to do is flick blood at an opponent's eyes if it's possible
        without causing any more debilitating pain.

        This is where fighting single sword only becomes IMHO the true test
        of character for a fighter. A skilled fighter should be able to use
        the one sword arm to make the defense, timing it and setting it up
        for an attack. Even in the days when the techniques as we know today
        were not known, taking a swipe at an opposing sword to gain a moment
        to get an attack in I feel would have been done. I compare it to one
        man fighting a melee against several opponents, they use strategy to
        stay alive longer.
        =====

        > And what about while legged?

        ====
        I have never been much on fighting while legged. if someone stabs
        your foot, you should be able to get on your knees or even stand
        upright with a limited mobility. If you are cut of stabbed in the
        quadraceps, that's a different story. If we get into the posting
        versus non-posting debate (and it will be, watch...)in the SCA, I
        think the arguements will be based on safety vs. history. My vote is
        if I can stand to fight, I would like to. I would strive to be
        mobile, but taking into account that I won't be very.
        ====

        > I understand that you need to maintain control of the situation and
        > your opponent's equipment; but, well, how do you maintain that
        control?

        Staffan
        ====
        by being prepared for situations as this. knowing strategies and
        techniques for them would seem to be the best things to have. Maybe a
        class on how one could be ready when it happens would be a good thing
        for someone to teach.

        Simon