The Absurdly Complicated Game

  • pressurestat@rocketmail.com
    Message 1 of 5 , May 23, 2011
      Note: you wanted a fencing tournament.... I started thinking of ideas and this one came back to me...
      It would take a Guild to pull it off.

      Some years back, over some really good scotch, talking with some really good friends, an idea was begun to have a melee based on the family feuds of Renaissance Italy that, like then, did not stay on the list field, but was all around you, and even noncombatants had their part to play. It did not take long to figure out it would be an absurdly complicated game. And thus was the Genesis of........

      The Absurdly Complicated Game

      Imagine, if you will, a fencing game that IS the event. The site IS the tournament field. And all spectators are in the game. It is, in fact, so absurdly complicated that no one may even know who won until the coins are counted.
      Imagine arriving on site and setting up your tent or day shade in one of the non-combats lots in the village where the streets and fields are open to duels and skirmishes.
      Imagine two powerful feuding families filling the streets with blood, and the tavern with intrigue.
      Imagine the steeling of sheep, the ransoming of nobles, and the gambling on the lives of duelests.
      Now, Imagine it all being done, as it was, as it should be, not for honor and glory, but for MONEY!!!
      Imagine being the all powerful "Oracle" trying to keep it all from totally falling apart (think DM).
      Imagine being the Lord Mayor, fining those who disrupt the peace, collecting bribes from those who have plans to disrupt the peace.
      Imagine being a family warrior, doing your part to own the whole town!
      Imagine being a town folk wagering, trading, and conspiring to fill your own purse with coin to spend in the fabulous auction during the victory celebration and feast that follows.
      Imagine trying to write rules for this mess?
      (see the files section under the folder "Absurd" for a first attempt at thinking about an outline of the rules)
    • Santiago
      Message 2 of 5 , May 24, 2011
        Think Falcon's Treaty next year and The Quest I'm working on for that
        event. *smile*

        It sounds very similar!

        Santiago

        On Mon May 23 23:02:01 2011, "pressurestat@..."
        <pressurestat@...> wrote:

        > Note: you wanted a fencing tournament.... I started thinking of
        > ideas and this one came back to me...
        > It would take a Guild to pull it off.
        >
        > Some years back, over some really good scotch, talking with some
        > really good friends, an idea was begun to have a melee based on the
        > family feuds of Renaissance Italy that, like then, did not stay on
        > the list field, but was all around you, and even noncombatants had
        > their part to play. It did not take long to figure out it would be
        > an absurdly complicated game. And thus was the Genesis of........
        >

        > The Absurdly Complicated Game
        >
        > Imagine, if you will, a fencing game that IS the event. The site
        > IS the tournament field. And all spectators are in the game. It is,
        > in fact, so absurdly complicated that no one may even know who won
        > until the coins are counted.
        > Imagine arriving on site and setting up your tent or day shade
        > in one of the non-combats lots in the village where the streets and
        > fields are open to duels and skirmishes.
        > Imagine two powerful feuding families filling the streets with
        > blood, and the tavern with intrigue.
        > Imagine the steeling of sheep, the ransoming of nobles, and the
        > gambling on the lives of duelests.
        > Now, Imagine it all being done, as it was, as it should be, not for
        > honor and glory, but for MONEY!!!
        > Imagine being the all powerful "Oracle" trying to keep it all
        > from totally falling apart (think DM).
        > Imagine being the Lord Mayor, fining those who disrupt the
        > peace, collecting bribes from those who have plans to disrupt the
        > peace.
        > Imagine being a family warrior, doing your part to own the whole town!
        > Imagine being a town folk wagering, trading, and conspiring to
        > fill your own purse with coin to spend in the fabulous auction
        > during the victory celebration and feast that follows.
        > Imagine trying to write rules for this mess?
        > (see the files section under the folder "Absurd" for a first attempt
        > at thinking about an outline of the rules)

        Enter a World of Elegant Magic
        www.santiagosmagic.com
        1-831-239-9862
      • pressurestat@rocketmail.com
        Message 3 of 5 , May 24, 2011
          Really? Well, then have your therapist call my therapist and we'll talk on Thursday.
          David

          --- In RoyalGuildofDefense@yahoogroups.com, Santiago <santiago@...> wrote:

          > Think Falcon's Treaty next year and The Quest I'm working on for that
          > event. *smile*
          >
          > It sounds very similar!
          >
          > Santiago
          >
          > On Mon May 23 23:02:01 2011, "pressurestat@..."
          > <pressurestat@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Note: you wanted a fencing tournament.... I started thinking of
          > > ideas and this one came back to me...
          > > It would take a Guild to pull it off.
          > >
          > > Some years back, over some really good scotch, talking with some
          > > really good friends, an idea was begun to have a melee based on the
          > > family feuds of Renaissance Italy that, like then, did not stay on
          > > the list field, but was all around you, and even noncombatants had
          > > their part to play. It did not take long to figure out it would be
          > > an absurdly complicated game. And thus was the Genesis of........
          > >

          > > The Absurdly Complicated Game
          > >
          > > Imagine, if you will, a fencing game that IS the event. The site
          > > IS the tournament field. And all spectators are in the game. It is,
          > > in fact, so absurdly complicated that no one may even know who won
          > > until the coins are counted.
          > > Imagine arriving on site and setting up your tent or day shade
          > > in one of the non-combats lots in the village where the streets and
          > > fields are open to duels and skirmishes.
          > > Imagine two powerful feuding families filling the streets with
          > > blood, and the tavern with intrigue.
          > > Imagine the steeling of sheep, the ransoming of nobles, and the
          > > gambling on the lives of duelests.
          > > Now, Imagine it all being done, as it was, as it should be, not for
          > > honor and glory, but for MONEY!!!
          > > Imagine being the all powerful "Oracle" trying to keep it all
          > > from totally falling apart (think DM).
          > > Imagine being the Lord Mayor, fining those who disrupt the
          > > peace, collecting bribes from those who have plans to disrupt the
          > > peace.
          > > Imagine being a family warrior, doing your part to own the whole town!
          > > Imagine being a town folk wagering, trading, and conspiring to
          > > fill your own purse with coin to spend in the fabulous auction
          > > during the victory celebration and feast that follows.
          > > Imagine trying to write rules for this mess?
          > > (see the files section under the folder "Absurd" for a first attempt
          > > at thinking about an outline of the rules)

          > --
          > Enter a World of Elegant Magic
          > www.santiagosmagic.com
          > 1-831-239-9862

        • Tim Converse
          Message 4 of 5 , May 24, 2011
            It's not exactly crazy, really! I've done quests before and they can be
            a lot of fun. The main part is coming up with the story line but as a
            long time gamer it's not that hard for me. *smile*

            We'll definitely talk on Thursday.

            Santiago

            Message 5 of 5 , May 24, 2011

                I just uploaded the Trade Route Tavern files in case they are useful.

                Not quite as ambitious, as the times and fighting areas were restricted, but very successful

              on the two occassions it was implemented.  It is a scaled down version of a full village with multiple

              quest hubs, timed events, plague/leper attacks, etc that I used to dream about doing with a couple

              hundred folks.  Even TRTavern needs a dozen+ at bare minimum to be fun and there are folks who

              will decline to play even such a small set of rules, shrug.

                 Not mentioned in the instruction file was the use of 8 foot rebar and boundary tape for the buildings

               - with 6' left above ground they are stable and a couple marshals can see everything on the field clearly

              to maximize the number of folks wandering about about getting into trouble.  (I still have the rebar...) : )

              Actual buildings/solid walls tend to lead to folks naturally into trying ambushes and bad shots.

                 I found that with a 40x20 tavern along one edge adding 4 more 10x10 buildings made a for a nice main road

              and plenty of places to move around.  Two of them being the bank and storehouse so the barkeep

              can send folks out to fill the "empty" ale keg or deposit a bag of gold.  Also helps to have foam dice

              and mugs for players to emote with or throw at each other, though sometimes you have to remind the town

              folks that is not enough to draw steel, the tavern keep can always assign a 'job' to allow the fight if they feel

              things are playing out well in that direction.  Dice games are easy, card games in masks with gloves not so much.

                A pouch size bag of rice is a GREAT money bag simulator and pretty sturdy.

                Can't wait for Falcon's Treaty!