Ducal Do's

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 26, 2009

      Some of you may have noticed that there are Rapier Lessons sponsored by the Guild at Ducal this year in a week and a half.

          The usual turnout for these is 1 or 2 an hour at most so its pretty light duty, but I would be grateful for anyone willing to help in the following areas:

        Enjoying the shade...If there are any folks who prefer not to fight on Saturday for whatever reason(like not being fighters) it would be nice to have people at the Guild table available for questions.  It will be shady and we'll have some snackage and lemonade everyone is welcome to.  Of course extra snackage/drink is always welcome.

         Chairs/benches - would like to have enough seating so that at least most of the Gallery for the first scenario(about 10:30am) can sit and give out quests to the fighters at the edge of the field under either  my Pavillion or a couple of sunshades.

      Instructors - we'll schedule most of the lessons so that they do not conflict with scenarios being run.

        ---The instruction:  Keep it simple, but safe.  This is for fun so long as it is safe.  Give no more than a couple minutes of instruction unless you honestly feel that the fighter will not be safe - not correct, not good, safe.   During the bouting don't correct footwork, do encourage them to keep their blade on line and impale yourself on it every once in a while and remind them to use point only, no cuts.  No cut and thrust instruction should be part of this unless they are an experienced, authorized rapier fighter and you are both armored to Cut and thrust standards.

      Thank you and please don't worry if you have other plans as this is awfully short notice!

      In Service,

      Lord Guildmaster Nytshaed

      916-533-2783 (feel free to call, Jack will probably have me awake anyway :)

      Ducal - 4-7 Sept (1 week!)

      PS - If there is interest in a Guild potluck around 6pm, please reply on list by this Saturday midnight(29 Aug)

      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 10, 2009

             Greetings fellow Guild members!

            I have been wokring on ways we can all keep in touch on matters like how to play prizes, encouraging participation in Rapier and/or the Guild, and such matters.

           One of the possibilities is to have micro meetings at as many of the Practices as I can get out to.

           The format would be a very quick intro of each person present and then a short question/answer session on any topics of discussion.  If you've been to my meeetings before you know that I will keep it short so we don't take too much time from the practice, but I do think that giving as many people a chance to ask questions and raise suggestions is the only way we will survive as a useful entity.

           Its also a great excuse to get more fighters together who might not normally see or fight each other if folks are able to travel a bit.

          Please don't be silent.  If you think it is a terrible idea say so - if you really want to support it I won't expect any promises since the dates are not determined yet, but please speak out!

           And folks with practices - if you could send me an email with days/times and directions for your practice I would greatly appreciate it and it would help me organize this if we do it.

        Thank you,

          Nytshaed, LGm

        PS - thank you Yukiko for the suggestion!

      • jeffery@mind.net
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 10, 2009
          Hah.... was just discussing spreading the guild with Xeno this past weekend whileGregorio and I were giving a Thibault seminar in Artemisia at their Kingdom Collegium.

          Practices.....  Run by Freescholar Caoilte (John Czekala)  In Talent Oregon at our school on Monday and Wednesday nights.  He has also been going over to the coast to teach  in the newest shire over there where AnTir/West war has been held the last few years.

          Portland - Monday night 3Mountains SCA practice - run by Jouneyman Maestro Gregorio (Matthew Howden)
          Tuesday and Thursday night classes run by our school in Beaverton and run by myself and Maestro Gregorio.
          School website at http://duellatoria.com/

          Lord Geoffrey Lessingham - GM

          On Tue 11/10/09 02:49:00 PM , "Nytshaed\(Douglas Leonard\)" nytshaed1967@... sent: