Fwd: KWAR: Call for classes--Known World Academy of the Rapier

    Message 1 of 2 , May 12, 2009
      --- In teachingrapier@yahoogroups.com, Lara Gordon <Laralu@...> wrote:

      Thinking about coming to *KWAR* this year? Why not teach a class?

      We are looking for people to teach classes at all levels, and we are
      interested in any classes that relate to either SCA or historic fencing. If
      you are interested in teaching please e-mail the fencing class coordinator.
      We look forward to seeing you there!

      *Known World Academy of the Rapier*
      Oct. 9-11 2009
      Philadelphia, PA

      See the event website for more information: http://www.kwar09.com/index.html
      <http://www.kwar09.com/>

      *Potential class topics include:* period fencing techniques, manual studies,
      fencing history, class on all weapons forms (beginner to advanced), fencing
      mindset, melee fighting and tactics, gender issues in SCA fencing, and more.

      *Fencing class coordinator: *Lady Lissa Underhill:
      Laralu[at]gmail.com<Laralu@...>

      *****Please forward this e-mail to other fencing related e-mail lists. Thank
      you!*****
      *
      Also, please note that this event is being run in conjunction with Known
      World Costuming
      *

      --- End forwarded message ---
      Message 2 of 2 , May 18, 2009

          Greetings from the LGM!

            I must apologize for not being more vocal (textal?) these last weeks.  Those who

        know why I appreciate your well wishes for my grandmother and the babysitting

        for little Johnathan.

        - - - -I fully intend to be more verbose later, but for now I wanted to jot down a personal to-do list.

        - - - -None of these are written in even firm jello yet, more like a wishlist I would like to work toward soon-ish

        - - - -that I would love to get feedback on.

        ::

        Potluck gatherings - always good to gather and eat - thinking one kingdom level event a year, maybe Beltaine.

        Website:

         - Need a new Minister to allow AnnaSerra to step down after long extended service.

         - I need to write a new 'Letter from LGM'

         - Consider Hosting options longterm with many thanks to Santiago's current donation of site hosting.

         - Consider a resource page with printable information/forms/documents.  Maybe tack on to Rules/Regs page.

         - Review content of the site for relevance/accuracy

        Area deputies - I would like to have at least one main contact person in each Geographic area. Not an office perse'

        Single page Guild info flyer - Not to be handed out in mass, but available for a quick "this is us".

        Fund Raising - We have existed quite nicely on folks strictly donating time and materials, but that tends to

         focus the cost on a few and it may be time to have a pancake breakfast or other one-time fund raiser for

         the website at least.

        Guild on the Eric - I have a monster pavillion now thanks to a couple generous folks and I think we can put

         together a strictly period encampment that will act as a Gallery and gathering place for the Guild.  I am

         certain if we are willing to be actively positive on the Eric we will be welcome there, though we'll need

         to speak with each autocrat and it may be a little while.  We'll need to spread the work out between

         folks bringing water, chairs, set up, possibly even having specific times to be available to answer newbie

         questions, etc.  At fighting events an area for gear can be set aside so that the seating is not co-opted, etc.

        Pie-Safe Tourney - just a unique sort of tourney where each entrant brings a pie and winner

         chooses first and so on down the line that could be a kind of Guild signature tourney.  Big maybe

        Fun Stuff - We should have fun stuff to do as a guild.  Rapier related or not it is more fun if we can do things

         together that are fun.

        Prizes - Of course Prizes should still be our mainstay for visibility, but there can be plenty of non-fighting options

        for those who support Rapier too.

          Dang this was supposed to be shorter - ah well - thanks for reading!

        Nytshaed, LGM West Kingdom Royal Guild of Fence