Re: nominations for Patron and Patroness of the Guild

    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 16, 2008
      --- In RoyalGuildofDefense@yahoogroups.com, "Beth Berry (Sorcha
      Careman)" <sorcha@...> wrote:

      > There have actually been two recognitions for Patronage of the
      Guild.
      > Anne Serre was the first, and Elizabeth de Gresse in Oertha was the
      > second for her constant support and making of items for the Royal
      gift
      > bags given in the North. Both recipients received a Certificate
      from the
      > Lady Guildmistress in recognition of becoming Patronesses of the
      Guild.

      > In Oertha, we regularly give gift baskets to the local Royalty
      (once a
      > year for each of the 3 Baronies and twice a year for at the
      Principality
      > level for each of the reigns). Elizabeth Katherine DeGrasse has
      > regularly supplied hand made items for these baskets over the last
      two
      > years. I can always rely on a supply of items from her. There are
      > Lucet strings for tokens, Inkle woven bands, Card woven bands just
      > name a few.
      >
      > If asking for time in court for something like this, keep in mind
      that
      > the courts are the business of that Royal Head and not that of the
      > Guild. This is a recognition and thank you from the Guild for
      support
      > to the Guild. Other options are to request the help of a herald
      during
      > down time at an event to gather folks and then to have the
      announcement
      > made.
      >
      > Sorcha Careman
      > LGM

      =======

      Sorcha,

      Thank you for speaking about Elizabeth Katherine DeGrasse.

      As to the other issue about possibly making a presentation in court,
      I for one, would not mind if that was something that the guild could
      do publicly, but not necessarily in court. I am of the mind that the
      guild could gather at an event that those recognized would be at and
      present it there maybe inving them to a meeting specifically for them.

      Ximon
      Journeyman
    • Edgar Branscum
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 16, 2008

        First off, before I say anything that might be taken wrong, let me just say that these two individuals sound perfectly deserving of recognition and highly deserving of honor for their general support of rapier.  It sounds as if they have gone well beyond the normal bounds of being even enthusiastic supporters.

        I would just like to ask a question to clarify a point.
        Are we giving the patron/patroness recognition for rapier support in general or for support of the Guild in particular?
        If this patron/patroness recognition is for support of the Guild have they done things for the Guild?  What is it that they have done that the Guild specifically can honor them for....if this recognition is for the Guild but they are not doing things for the Guild specifically, then by all means lets see that they are recognized  but with a more  appropriate recognition.  However, if the patron/patroness recognition is for the support of the rapier community more generally, it sounds as if these two are prime examples of who we should be recognizing.

        Again, I mean absolutely no disrespect here, I am merely asking in order to clarify the requisites that we will be basing future recognitions on.

        Alaryn Aecenstaeff
        Provost, WKGoD

        =======

        Sorcha,

        Thank you for speaking about Elizabeth Katherine DeGrasse.

        As to the other issue about possibly making a presentation in court,
        I for one, would not mind if that was something that the guild could
        do publicly, but not necessarily in court. I am of the mind that the
        guild could gather at an event that those recognized would be at and
        present it there maybe inving them to a meeting specifically for them.

        Ximon
        Journeyman

        <*> Your email settings:
        Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
        (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
        mailto:RoyalGuildofDefense-digest@yahoogroups.com
        mailto:RoyalGuildofDefense-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Tim Converse
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 17, 2008
          Alaryn,

          A good question. Again, since I'm pretty close to the three people
          being mentioned let me see if I can bring some additional light to the
          party here.

          First with regards to Baroness Ghislaine. As my apprentice she is very
          aware of my participation in the Guild. She has been supporting her
          fighters and encouraging them towards an appreciation of the historical
          aspects of rapier fighting, not just being rapier fighters in the SCA.
          She was the one who provided them with transportation and a hotel room
          to be able to attend the recent Capo Ferro seminar we hosted. I can say
          with a good deal of certainty that her support is Guild oriented in that
          respect and the fighters in her Barony are already asking me for
          assessments with regards to whether or not they are ready to play their
          first prizes.

          With regards to Baron Eric and Baroness Lisel, their support I believe
          is more general in nature. They are very much more focused on the
          continued growth of the over all rapier community, but they are aware of
          the Guild and recognize it as one of the means by which the rapier
          community at large can continue to grow. It is clear to me that they
          support rapier as a whole, as they recognize that Darkwood has a great
          deal of influence not just in the Mists, but throughout the central
          Kingdom. With that in mind I recognize that they might not be as
          solidly recognizable as supporters of the Guild, but I think I can still
          speak in good conscience when I say that I think such a recognition
          would not be beyond the realm of possibility. They are, of course, *MY*
          Baron and Baroness (*grin*) so I suppose it could be argued that I have
          a bit of a soft spot for them, but then that is true of all three of
          these people anyway.

          So for what it's worth, I do think they are all three still worth
          considering, but I do recognize the question and appreciate your asking it.

          Thanks!

          Santiago

        • Edgar Branscum
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 17, 2008
            Greetings Santiago,

            Thank you for the reply and the further information.   It sounds to me like Baroness Ghislaine is more than qualified to be put forth as a potential Patroness of the Guild.  Anyone who would put up the transportation and lodgings for people to attend a seminar on period historical fencing, and who has continued to work towards pushing the pursuit of education about historical fencing has done the Guild a great service.  I have no doubt that she will continue to do so in the future and deserves to be recognized.
            Also, I do understand having a potential soft spot for your own Baron and Baroness, and not knowing them myself will bow to yours and others more personal knowledge of them and not object if the group decides  that general support of the rapier community falls within the purview of recognition of a Patron/Patroness of the Guild.
            Any others have opinions on the question?  Just what are we looking for in making the recommendations for Patron/Patroness of the Guild?

            In Service to Her Majesty,
            Alaryn Aecenstaeff,
            Provost, WKGoD

            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 18, 2008