Re: [RoyalGuildofDefense] a small suggestion

    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 30, 2007
      These could be short classes offered or more extensive.  Variety could be a great key here.
      Hands on classes
      Theory classes
      History classes
      Arts and Sciences display
      Library display
      Open discussion group on a subject.....example "How do you go about picking a period master to study?"

      So there are generals for an every other month activity.  Volunteers and details could be filled in.
      Would a standard time be best, say Sunday mornings at 9:30 with the activity varying or keeping it more to be determined by the regular activities scheduled at the event?  If this seems to be a logistical problem with getting actual scheduled time with the autocrats schedule, how about a more informal setting where there is a general gathering with one of the items picked from above to be covered.  With time and a repeating activity, it could become a regular thing and maybe eventually a tradition.

      Sorcha Careman
      LGM

      Brigit wrote:

      I've been mulling over the Guild of late--and would like to make a
      suggestion.

      What if we were to come up with an actual SCHEDULE of
      classes/activities sponsored by the Guild for the coming year--much
      like the Needleworker' s Guild does? I'm sure this list could
      brainstorm such and the people to teach them--after all--that is what
      we are about, right? Teaching?

      Anyone?

      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 3, 2007
        Hello,

        Brigit, your idea sounds great to me. Please let me know how I can
        help get this to become a reality.

        Staffan

        --- In RoyalGuildofDefense@yahoogroups.com, "Beth Berry (Sorcha

        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 9, 2007
          Well, for one--you and the other folks on this list could help
          brainstorm ideas and solicit ideas from non-Guild members of the
          fencing community--or even the populace at large--on the kinds of
          classes they would like to see us hold. Sorcha has posted some great
          ideas and suggestions--can we brainstorm more?

          So folks--time to "delurk" and chime in here. What sort of classes
          would YOU like to see offered?

          BTW--do we still have ministers of education for the Guild? Weren't
          there two of them appointed? I seem to recall that. I'm just trying
          to poke some behinds here, get some movement--but don't really want to
          head up setting up classes as I think that would be stepping on toes.

          It seems to me that these classes could help us especially during
          those events where we can't actually fight until Roses if at
          all--afternoon classes like the Needleworker's Guild does during the
          beginning rounds of heavy fighting. They would have to be non-eric
          related courses or ones that if demonstration of a technique goes
          on--it can happen without being on the eric itself.

          I for one would like to see the occasional return of "Fencing 101"
          classes--but not at every event, (these would probably have to happen
          on Sundays if held at Crown and Coronet events as to not conflict with
          eric use)

          Also:

          How to Pick an Historic Style that Best Fits You (Similar to what
          Sorcha suggested)

          Making Basic Fighting Garb that Looks Good!

          Period Garb and How to Adapt It--Beyond the Doublet

          Side by Side Comparisons of the Masters and their Styles

          The Duel--What Really Went On?

          Anyone else???

          Brigit

          --- In RoyalGuildofDefense@yahoogroups.com, "Staffan Arffuidsson"
          <arffuidson@...> wrote:

          > Hello,
          >
          > Brigit, your idea sounds great to me. Please let me know how I can
          > help get this to become a reality.
          >
          > Staffan
          >

          > --- In RoyalGuildofDefense@yahoogroups.com, "Beth Berry (Sorcha
          > Careman)" <sorcha@> wrote:
          > >
          > > These could be short classes offered or more extensive. Variety
          > could
          > > be a great key here.
          > > Hands on classes
          > > Theory classes
          > > History classes
          > > Arts and Sciences display
          > > Library display
          > > Open discussion group on a subject.....example "How do you go about
          > > picking a period master to study?"
          > >
          > > So there are generals for an every other month activity.
          > Volunteers and
          > > details could be filled in.
          > > Would a standard time be best, say Sunday mornings at 9:30 with the
          > > activity varying or keeping it more to be determined by the regular
          > > activities scheduled at the event? If this seems to be a
          > logistical
          > > problem with getting actual scheduled time with the autocrats
          > schedule,
          > > how about a more informal setting where there is a general
          > gathering
          > > with one of the items picked from above to be covered. With time
          > and a
          > > repeating activity, it could become a regular thing and maybe
          > eventually
          > > a tradition.
          > >
          > > Sorcha Careman
          > > LGM
          > >

          > > Brigit wrote:
          > > >
          > > > I've been mulling over the Guild of late--and would like to make a
          > > > suggestion.
          > > >
          > > > What if we were to come up with an actual SCHEDULE of
          > > > classes/activities sponsored by the Guild for the coming year--
          > much
          > > > like the Needleworker's Guild does? I'm sure this list could
          > > > brainstorm such and the people to teach them--after all--that is
          > what
          > > > we are about, right? Teaching?
          > > >
          > > > Anyone?
          > > >
          > > > Brigit

        • Monica Gaudio
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 9, 2007
            > How to Pick an Historic Style that Best Fits You (Similar to what
            > Sorcha suggested)
            >
            > Making Basic Fighting Garb that Looks Good!
            >
            > Period Garb and How to Adapt It--Beyond the Doublet
            >
            > Side by Side Comparisons of the Masters and their Styles
            >
            > The Duel--What Really Went On?

            I'd LOVE to see all of these, particularly The Duel and Side by Side
            -- and the garb classes. :) OK! Scratch that -- I want to see
            everything. These would be great.

            Illadore
          • Edgar Branscum
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 9, 2007
              These types of classes would be a good time for people who are studying specific period masters to give an overview of these masters and an intro to their philosophy of the fight and fighting style.  This not only covers our stated intent to encourage period study, but will also give people an opportunity  to sample, as it were, from different styles

              http://mail.yahoo.com

            • Cerridwen Coedwig
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 9, 2007
                So I should be offering my "Garb as Armor" classes at Crowns as well as
                Collegia and Kingdom A&S? It covers the middle 2 in the list. Should
                my class be re-named?

                So far I've had a total of 3 students at 2 events.

                Cerridwen

                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 3, 2007
                  bump.