Questions about rank

  • Jed Depew
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 6, 2007
      Greetings all,

      I have just joined this list and read the charter and like the flavor
      of the charter and the organization of the guild, I think the spirit
      of the period schools have been captured but have a question. In
      anticipation of what my rapier fighters down here in Tarnmist will ask
      me; Why would some one want to join the Guild of Defense?

      Not to be provocative but what is the point (Ohohoh the puns...)? What
      does one have to gain by becoming a scholar? Does the guild fight as a
      unit in wars? Camp together? Offer non-sca event for members? Have a
      secret handshake? Decoder rings?

      Again I am not trying to be provocative I am honestly wondering.

      Godric
    • Tim Converse
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 6, 2007
        Oh boy. *smile*

        A more provocative question then you might think Godric! *smile*

        Okay, here is my take on it. The Guild of Defense (like any guild in
        the SCA) is an entity whose focus is the study of historical material,
        in this case the various historical masters of the rapier.

        In days gone by, that wasn't so much the focus, and in truth you are in
        a great position to start a group with people who don't really remember
        a time prior when the Guild wasn't so focused on that topic.

        As such, the reason why anyone would want to join the guild would be to
        study and learn specific historical styles from people who know those
        styles (as best as they have been able to study them). Does that mean
        that one must be a part of the Guild to do so? No. Does that mean that
        Guild members will only teach other Guild members? No.

        You see, like anything else, the Guild is a social agreement and
        structure only. A way to measure ones progress and a body of people who
        are, if they are really doing as the Charter suggests, contributing back
        to the Kingdom at large not just by being a part of the rapier
        community, but a part of the whole community.

        The value of the Guild to someone new is a built in group of people to
        answer questions and help someone progress in a particular area of
        interest. A kind of "default position" for ones activities. And of
        course what one gets out of the Guild is what one puts into it.

        I personally have enjoyed being in the Guild because it feels like a
        good place to be. I enjoy learning about the various historical masters
        and studying their techniques. If that's the kind of thing someone
        would appreciate doing, then joining the Guild may be the right
        decision. But there is no limitation. It's not like the Guild is going
        to stop someone from learning those things just because they aren't in
        the Guild.

        Ultimately it's just a way to organize knowledge and teachers, making
        them available to students.

        Santiago

        --
        Tim "Santiago" Converse

        Enter a World of Elegant Magic
        http://www.santiagosmagic.com

        Home of Professor Scratch's Flea Circus
        http://www.fleacircusentertainment.com

        1-831-239-9862
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 6, 2007
          --- In RoyalGuildofDefense@yahoogroups.com, Tim Converse
          <santiago@...>
          wrote:

          [snip]
          of course what one gets out of the Guild is what one puts into it.
          I personally have enjoyed being in the Guild because it feels like a
          > good place to be. I enjoy learning about the various historical
          masters and studying their techniques. If that's the kind of thing
          someone would appreciate doing, then joining the Guild may be the
          right
          decision. But there is no limitation. It's not like the Guild is
          going to stop someone from learning those things just because they
          aren't in the Guild.
          Ultimately it's just a way to organize knowledge and teachers, making
          them available to students.
          [snip]
          =====
          I will chime in and agree wholeheartedly with Santiago's statement.
          In case you want to start comparing it to the white scarf, My
          perspective of the difference is
          that a White scarf is focused more on the being an exemplar of a
          rapier fighter(In the way we percieve the SCA's version of a courtier)
          in the SCA and the Guild is, as was said earlier, centers in the
          interest of reaserching period technique. I espouse that the Guild can
          expand on that and be more than just a period "rapier technique"
          guild but learn, and disciver many different aspects
          of historical western martial arts study for the SCA.

          XĂ­mon
          Journeyman
        • Cerridwen Coedwig
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 6, 2007
            Greetings Godric,

            What one gains from Guild membership is structure for measuring one's
            progress in learning Period fencing. Much of the SCA uses "SCA hybrid"
            style fencing, which would not have been recognizable as any particular
            "school" in period. The Guild has members who study and later teach
            period styles based on specific period masters. Classes, such as
            Seaghdha's Swetenham class at the recent Kingdom A&S, or earlier
            Staffan's Meyer classes, are offered to students.

            Scholars study the basics of fencing common to most schools and across
            the SCA. The Free Scholar Prize demonstrates competence in the basics
            of fencing. Free Scholars are expected to look at a variety of styles
            and be prepared to choose for the Journeyman level which school to study
            more deeply. (That choice I haven't made yet, which is why I have yet to
            fight my Journeyman Prize.) Journeymen study their chosen style, and
            assist Provosts and Guildmasters in teaching. At the Provost Prize,
            competence in one's chosen style is demonstrated, and sometimes
            competence at teaching a paticular technique as well. At Guildmaster
            level, the Prize demonstrates not just competence, but mastery of the
            chosen style, both in fighting and in teaching.

            Prizes are exhilarating, as the candidate faces many opponents in the
            process of demonstrating skill. There is often pageantry involved, and
            being the focus of that pageantry can be exhilarating too, though for me
            it was secondary to the fun have having several great fights all in a
            row- no long wait for the next round, and no being eliminated before the
            tourney is over. It is possible to fail a Prize, of course, though *I*
            have yet to see someone fight before they were really ready, usually the
            person is long since competent before striving for the Prize.

            War Unit? Not so much. Camping together? Well no, I tend to camp
            according to where the water is, and being around fencers is frosting.
            Non-SCA events? Not that I've heard about, though we are starting to
            see attendance at our practices by non-SCA folk, as when the principles
            of the Davenriche Academy came to Caer Darth and we were treated to them
            fighting Swetenham with Seaghdha. Secret handshake? Nope. Decoder
            rings? No, but we get spiffing silver badges and then colored sashes
            as we progress through the ranks...

            Cerridwen
            Free Scholar
            almost ready to try for the green sash

            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 6, 2007
              Santiago, Simon', Cerridwen,
              Thank you all, for stating so elegantly and in easy words what the Guild is for you.

              Godric,
              As you can see, this is just another avenue where like minded folk can play and work together in a community dedicated to promoting the historical studies of Rapier combat.  All of us are students at various levels, but the camaraderie, sharing and support of this community is a kick.  We work together to bring the positive aspects of this martial combat to the foreground and help develop our members through a mentoring program to become foundational parts of our Kingdom.
              Our activities include beside Prizes, A&S displays, workshops, classes, practices, sponsoring visiting instructors, philosophical discussions....well, you see see where it is going.

              Sorcha Careman
              LGM