Re: Eastern Martial Arts Philosophies meet the Rapier

  • Else Hunrvogt
    Message 1 of 3 , May 3, 2007
      Thank you Kaine. I very much enjoyed your essay. If you have not
      already done so, you should glance at the Class schedule for
      Colleigum. There are a couple of philosophy class you might enjoy.
      Also Lysander will be teaching introductory rapier and Staffan is
      teaching an SCA applied Meyer class.

      Else

      http://www.collegiumoccidentalis.org/

      Title: Tournament Mindset Time: 9:15 - 10:45 Classroom: Or level: all
      Minimum age:
      18
      Instructor: Leohtulf of the Silver Hills
      class limit:None fees/bring: None

      Title: Introduction to Rapier Time: 9:15 - 10:45 Classroom: Argent
      level: beginning Minimum age:
      18
      Instructor: Lysander Griffing
      class limit:None fees/bring: None

      Title: The History of the Chivalric Model Time: 1:30 - 3:00
      Classroom: Gules level: all Minimum age:
      18
      Instructor: Leohtulf of the Silver Hills
      class limit:None fees/bring: None

      Title: The Basics of Meyer: Simple period rapier technique Time:
      1:30 - 3:00 Classroom: Argent level: all Minimum age:
      18
      Instructor: Staffan Arffuidsson
      discusses in the rapier section of his 1570 book "The Art of
      CombatÂ…". This will include moves that can be applied on the standard
      rapier field as well as the one for Cut & Thrust. Please bring as
      much equipment as you have, for I have a finite amount. Handouts will
      be provided.
      class limit:20 fees/bring: Please bring as much equipment as you
      have

      Title: Castiglione For Fighters: the courtly warrior Time: 3:15 -
      4:45 Classroom: Gules level: all Minimum age:
      18
      Instructor: Antonio Giordano da Sicilia
      towards all SCA fighters (armored and rapier). This class will
      utilize Castiglione's "The Book of the Courtier" in terms of
      understanding the responsibility of the SCA warrior, the courtly
      warrior's code of honor and the opportunity for individuals to
      enhance their kingdom by the exercise of their virtue as well as
      their sword. Yes, prowess is of great importance, but it is only one
      aspect of the noble warrior. I have used "The Book of the Courtier"
      in three previous classes over the last six years: "The Making of a
      Knight," "The Knight in His Age" and "The Evolution of Chivalric
      Virtue." This is the first time that I have attempted to take
      Castiglione out of the historical and the theoretical and apply it
      specifically to SCA armored and rapier fighters. As for the
      historical and theoretical components, I will include those as
      introduction so that people will be able to determine if my theories
      hold up to Castiglione's original insights.
      class limit:None fees/bring: None