Polls

  • David Falcon
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 17, 2005
      We have, so far, just under half the members voting in the polls, and
      the results are almost unanimous that:

      Fencing should be done on both the main field as well as on a
      separate field as deemed appropriate.

      Fencing is as valid as ANY other SCA activity. Tournaments, Training,
      and pick-up bouts should be allowed at any time except during finals
      at crown and during court.

      Fencing should not be restricted to the Main List fields

      Fencing should not be prohibited at Crown events.

      Not unanimous, but worth note:
      There is little support for a permanent 5th field

      There is little support for focusing on Sundays at Crown events.

      Also:
      There appears to be a majority feeling that a prize should be the
      deciding factor in promotions, though with a significant number
      dissenting.

      Perhaps most importantly:
      The poll comes out unanimous, with all in favor of appointing a new
      Lord Guildmaster as soon as possible.

      All voting said that we need new Guildmasters appointed ASAP, and
      that they believe there are currently qualified candidates to fill
      the slots.

      The polls are still open if you have yet to have your voice counted.
    • crimsonkyl
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 18, 2005
        David,
        I have been reminded on more than one occasion that we are NOT
        a polling order; more precisely, the powers that be don't care if we
        want more guildmasters, or want to change the charter.
        That being said, who would everyone WANT for a guildmaster or
        LGM? I would put forward Simon de Cordoba, Staffan Arffuidson, and
        Else Hungrofft <sp?>. They do most of the work, show up the most
        and have the most positive influence on fencing.
        Is there a concensus among us fencers as to who we think should
        be guild masters?

        -Crimson

        --- In RoyalGuildofDefense@yahoogroups.com, "David Falcon"
        <dkball@h...> wrote:

        > We have, so far, just under half the members voting in the polls,
        and
        > the results are almost unanimous that:
        >
        > Fencing should be done on both the main field as well as on a
        > separate field as deemed appropriate.
        >
        > Fencing is as valid as ANY other SCA activity. Tournaments,
        Training,
        > and pick-up bouts should be allowed at any time except during
        finals
        > at crown and during court.
        >
        > Fencing should not be restricted to the Main List fields
        >
        > Fencing should not be prohibited at Crown events.
        >
        > Not unanimous, but worth note:
        > There is little support for a permanent 5th field
        >
        > There is little support for focusing on Sundays at Crown events.
        >
        > Also:
        > There appears to be a majority feeling that a prize should be the
        > deciding factor in promotions, though with a significant number
        > dissenting.
        >
        > Perhaps most importantly:
        > The poll comes out unanimous, with all in favor of appointing a
        new
        > Lord Guildmaster as soon as possible.
        >
        > All voting said that we need new Guildmasters appointed ASAP, and
        > that they believe there are currently qualified candidates to fill
        > the slots.
        >
        > The polls are still open if you have yet to have your voice
        counted.
      • haenterprises
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 18, 2005
          crimsonkyl wrote:

          > David,
          > I have been reminded on more than one occasion that we are NOT
          > a polling order; more precisely, the powers that be don't care if we
          > want more guildmasters, or want to change the charter.
          > That being said, who would everyone WANT for a guildmaster or
          > LGM? I would put forward Simon de Cordoba, Staffan Arffuidson, and
          > Else Hungrofft <sp?>. They do most of the work, show up the most
          > and have the most positive influence on fencing.
          > Is there a concensus among us fencers as to who we think should
          > be guild masters?
          >
          > -Crimson

          Crimson,

          By the rules of the Guild, none of the people you mention could be
          made a Guildmaster.
          Staffan and Simon' are both journeymen, and even if they played their
          prize at Crown, it would be an absolute minimum of 6 months before they
          could even be considered for guildmaster status. Else is not even a
          member of the Guild, so even if she changed that decision, it would be a
          minimum of 15 months before she could be considered. And since there is
          neither a LGM nor a duly appointed representative, by it's own charter,
          the Guild can not consider elevating anyone to guildmaster status. None
          of the other possible canidates (provosts)listed on the Guild website is
          likely to be a better option, due to location, activity level, or (it
          does have to be stated) approval by the Crown, etc.

          The structure of the Guild charter prevents the very people whose
          leadership is needed from being in the position to lead. Catch 22.

          alail/scott
        • violacarara
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 20, 2005
            we have long over looked many who have strived to support this art
            we love....
            Let us not forget Nytshaed......he has contributed much to this
            kingdom, the guild and rapier as a whole

            Viola

            --- In RoyalGuildofDefense@yahoogroups.com, haenterprises

          • violacarara
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 20, 2005
              <dkball@h...> wrote:
              > Also:
              > There appears to be a majority feeling that a prize should be the
              > deciding factor in promotions, though with a significant number
              > dissenting.

              I do not understand this comment......the poll results I saw this
              morning were 36.36% Prize should be decideing factor....45.45%
              should be SHOW only

              Viola
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 21, 2005
                Gotta second that "Boggle?" from Viola David.

                I see only a total 12 and 17 votes in the two polls
                you site as being most important.
                In the poll about putting on a good show vs testing
                and possibly failing folks at public prizes there were
                3 options with 2 votes, 4 votes and 6 votes...and the
                50% majority opined that it should be a show rather
                than a Trial...

                The big poll that 76 people voted in had a maximum
                of 12(15.79%) folks agreeing on any of the choices. I
                cannot see anything remotely resembling a majority,
                much less the Unanimity you stated.

                I have seen a lot of calls for action and
                fundamental changes to the Guild and its charter and I
                think polls are a useful tool that should be taken
                with a massive dose of other input. I would caution
                everyone - not just David - that making sweeping
                statements based on them can lead to "quick-fix"
                decisions that often cause more harm than good.

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Else Hunrvogt
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 21, 2005
                  --- In RoyalGuildofDefense@yahoogroups.com, "Nytshaed\(Douglas
                  Leonard\)" <nytshaed1967@y...> wrote:
                  > Gotta second that "Boggle?" from Viola David.
                  > The big poll that 76 people voted in had a maximum
                  > of 12(15.79%) folks agreeing on any of the choices. I
                  > cannot see anything remotely resembling a majority,
                  > much less the Unanimity you stated.

                  In regards to polls and surveys, I had an epidemiology professor in
                  Grad School who always said "All Indians walk single file. At least
                  the one I saw did"

                  I'll speak to the first poll, since I didn't vote in the Second or
                  third and thus can't see the results.

                  76 probably isn't a fair denominator since there are only 22 people
                  subscribed to this group. As I interpret this poll, there are two
                  possible denominators. The first would be 18 since (from adding up
                  the responses to the first 4 questions) that seems to be the number
                  of unique individuals responding to the poll. The second would be 22
                  since that is the number of individuals eligible to answer based on
                  being a member of this yahoo group. BTW in surveys a 81% response
                  rate is phenomenal. Under those two cases the results would be
                  (hopefully the formatting will hold):

                  Question # Yes % Yes/18 % Yes/ 22

                  only on main 2 11% 9%
                  permanent field 3 17% 14%
                  usually separate 1 6% 5%
                  both 12 67% 55%

                  No Crown fight 0 0% 0%
                  Sundays 2 11% 9%

                  tourneys any 10 56% 45%
                  No finals 11 61% 50%
                  No court 10 56% 45%

                  Training any 10 56% 45%
                  No finals 8 44% 36%
                  No court 7 39% 32%

                  Either way, this group seems to be fairly closely divided on the
                  issues in question, with the possible exception of fighting on the
                  main eric and else where as is appropriate.

                  Else
                • David Falcon
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 22, 2005
                    > I do not understand this comment......the poll results I saw this
                    > morning were 36.36% Prize should be decideing factor....45.45%
                    > should be SHOW only
                    >
                    > Viola

                    A good question with a simple answer. The purpose of my post was to
                    get more people to vote. Thus it did, and so the number changed
                    between the time I posted and the time you looked. That's a good
                    thing. As I see it now that the poll is closed, it is a dead heat
                    between those that want the prize to be a deciding factor and those
                    who do not (with only 2 who want the prize to be the deciding factor
                    also wanting a delay of announcement).
                    It is still the overwhelming view of those polled that we need a Lord
                    Guildmaster and that we have fully qualified candidates who should be
                    advanced quickly for the good of the Guild. Will it happen? I don't
                    know, but it does provide a few interesting talking points for a
                    Guild meeting.
                    And, of course Else, being all educated like she is, got it spot
                    on in understanding that 76 votes out of 20 is not likely to happen
                    (well, maybe in Chicago... ;-). The Polls on Yahoogroups are limited,
                    and a bit of thoughtful analysis is required.

                    David