newcomers event in windy meads - Davis Ca.

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 6, 2006
      Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 21:15:15 -0700
      From: "sarah shannon" <turquoiselavender@...>
      To: cynaguancourtier@..., Cyndiflane@...,
      seneschal@...
      Subject: Looking for teachers for a Newcommer's Collegium

      Hello Everyone,
      Windymeads is trying to put together a Newcommer's Collegium with the
      help of the Principality. It will be in Esparto on August 5, and we
      are looking for teachers, students, and anyone who would like to talk
      about what really interests them in the SCA (anything from
      woodworking to fighting to dancing)! We are looking for people to
      teach the following classes:
      1. How to thrift-shop your garb.
      2. Clothing and comfort: what you should keep in mind to keep from
      overheating/freezing/being miserable at an event.
      3. SCA etiquette: what those pointy hats mean, what to do if you're
      called into court, how to approach a peer, etc.
      4. Shopping: where to get the best deals on fabric, clothes,
      supplies, etc.
      5. How to choose a personna/name
      6. Fun in the SCA: giving an idea of all the fun stuff there is to do
      (archery, equestrian, fighting, dancing, calligraphy, illumination,
      woodworking, leatherworking, weaving, costuming, pottery, cooking,
      lucetting, embroidery, armoring, etc.)
      7. Dancing
      8. Cooking

      We are planning a brown-bag lunch where everyone who's been in the
      SCA a while can find a spot on one of the tables with a sample of
      your handiwork or some pictures and students can come talk to you
      about it over lunch. Then, for dinner we'll have a potluck feast
      with the contributions of our cooking class. We have a kitchen with
      two ovens and two stoves (and a big refrigerator) at our disposal.
      Classes we have teachers for are:
      Heavy fighting
      Fencing
      Basic heraldry
      Basic clothesmaking
      Camping 101
      SCA campfire songs

      Please send this information to your groups. If anyone is interested
      in teaching or attending, please have them contact Eanoin at
      turquoiselavender@...
      Thank you all for your help!
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 6, 2006

        Unfortunately, I will not be able to attend.

        Staffan

        --- In RoyalGuildofDefense@yahoogroups.com, "Ximon el Martillo de