Re: Yes!

  • David Falcon
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 16, 2006
      --- In RoyalGuildofDefense@yahoogroups.com, Cerridwen Coedwig
      <cerridwen@...> wrote:

      > I have the book too. "Making" the folks at our practice go through
      > anything is not very likely.
      >
      > We have several people who have been around for a while. David
      Falcone
      > was going through Capo Ferro plate by plate, but I don't think the
      > process was completed........

      No, we did not finish the plate by plate walk through of CF. Mostly
      this was due to the horrendous run of bad weather that seemed as if
      it was never going to end. But I have not pushed to continue the
      sessions as I began to fully appreciate that the CF book is more a
      set of drills than it is a tutorial. Drills are what you do to
      reinforce, and commit to muscle memory, the precepts that you have
      already learned at least intellectually. And while the CF drills can
      be used as an adjunct to teaching the precepts, it is of limited
      usefulness, and can even be counterproductive, to members of the
      group who do not have a full grasp of the precepts the drills are
      intended to refine.
      Doing one plate a week as a goal is not, in my opinion, useful to
      those who are trying to learn to fence (though It may be useful to
      those who already have a good grounding in another system and want to
      gain an over view of CF).
      For those who are not already well grounded in the basic concepts of
      fencing, I believe, the instructor needs to spend as much time on the
      basic moves and concepts as are required rather than attempting to
      finish CF in any given time frame or order. I would also add the
      wisdom of learning even a small number of moves perfectly over
      learning a book full of moves imperfectly.
      So, I doubt I will ever again attempt to "go through" CF, or any
      other manuscript, as a part of a practice.
      I do think that it is possible to teach CF as a system, and this
      presupposes extrapolating a lot from what the instructor already
      knows of the basics of fencing, but I don't see "doing the plates" as
      the way to do it.

      David