Re: Interesting question

  • David Falcon
    Message 1 of 32 , Jun 6, 2006
      With respect to our LGM, and I take no joy in saying the following:
      Yes, I do have some thoughts. Unfortunately, they are a bit
      depressing when it come to the Guild. Yes we do have the skeleton of
      a rank structure, and it can be used creatively by those who teach as
      a goal to motivate their students. However, the top of the structure
      no longer belongs to the Guild, and there is nothing to stop any
      Guildmaster present at a prize from mucking about with the process on
      the fly,(yes, I've had that happen, and it was not a positive
      experience for anyone who had to get involved with it). And, of
      course, ranks can be handed out at whim by royals who may not
      understand even the basics of fencing (yeah, I know, that's part of
      the game, but if we at least had a unified Council of Guildmasters to
      advise them in such matters, it would take some of the worry out of
      it).
      No, I can't really say that the Guild, as an organization, is
      doing much to promote period fencing. I see individuals who try to
      teach period styles, but I don't see the Guild sponsoring them,
      offering much help, support, equipment, or even giving recognition of
      their efforts.
      Like minded individuals? I don't think there is a Guild mindset.
      We are fragmented. Do we even have well defined goals? I've heard,
      many months back,that the Council of GMoF was having ongoing meetings
      to decide such things, but I have not heard of any progress as yet.
      The Guild, by its charter, is a top down organization. No one who
      is not, at a minimum, on the council of GMoF, has any authority to
      make policy or give direction in the name of the Guild, even at the
      level of a school, with out, at least, direct GMoF suppervision. But
      if the council has spoken, I have not heard of it.
      No, sadly, I can not say I really see much in the way of
      advantages to being a Guild member these days. And even though
      fencing in the WK is advancing, I can't say that I see the Guild as
      being much of a factor. I truly wish that were not the case.

      David
    • Cerridwen Coedwig
      Message 32 of 32 , Jul 8, 2006
        I wrote:
        > If Sorcha is coming to Crown, I may
        > get to see *3* at once, assuming she, Georg and Nytshaed hang out together!
        I did not get to meet Georg after all, and Sorcha wasn't there, so my
        sightings record still stands. I hear Justin is becoming active again,
        and look forward to meeting him. :-)

        Cerridwen