Re: Meyer's Treatise

    Message 1 of 9 , May 22, 2006
      --- In RoyalGuildofDefense@yahoogroups.com, "Ximon el Martillo de

      oops! my bad.. got in a hurry..

      Message 2 of 9 , May 22, 2006
        Well Smiling Jack,

        In addition to what Ximon has stated, it is considered the treatise
        that was the beginning of the sport fighting (like Prizes). In the
        past, most manuals were training people to fight judicial duels. And,
        while the techniques in Meyer' manual can be applied to warfare and
        judicial duels, it was mostly for demonstrating skill.

        His is also one of the first (if not the first) to include rappier
        techniques as a part of a German martial arts system. The other
        weapons that it covers are longsword, dusack, dagger, wrestling, pike,
        halberd, and quarterstaff.

        Staffan

        --- In RoyalGuildofDefense@yahoogroups.com, "P-) Jack." <sjack@...>
        wrote:

        What is that?
      • Jeff Richardson
        Message 3 of 9 , May 22, 2006
          The Meyer translation is available from Greenhill Books. It's German
          rapier, longsword, etc.

          > The Art of Combat: A German Martial Arts Treatise of 1570

          > Ximon

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Justin Roland
          Message 4 of 9 , May 23, 2006
            Greetings, I have a DVD from Chivalry bookshelf, The Long Sword of Johannes Liechtenauer, and some it comes from Meyer as well. It's a pretty good video and the format is very usable, ( the scene selection/menu is cool ).

            GMoF Justin Dickson

            "P-) Jack." <sjack@...> wrote:
            Staffan Arffuidsson wrote:
            > Greetings,
            >
            > For those interested, I have a copy of the Meyer Treatise (translated
            > by Dr. Forgeng).  I'll be glad to share information/ discuss anything
            > that might be of interest.
            >
            > Staffan

            What is that?

          • Jeff Richardson
            Message 5 of 9 , May 23, 2006
              Staffan;
              I havn't purchased a copy as of yet. If you are going to be an Cynaqua
              Coronet I would be interested in looking it over.

              Lessingham

              Message 6 of 9 , May 23, 2006
                It (and I) will be there.

                Staffan