Re: Meyer's Treatise

    Message 1 of 9 , May 22, 2006
      --- In RoyalGuildofDefense@yahoogroups.com, "P-) Jack." <sjack@...>
      wrote:

      > Staffan Arffuidsson wrote:
      > > Greetings,
      > >
      > > For those interested, I have a copy of the Meyer Treatise
      (translated
      > > by Dr. Forgeng). I'll be glad to share information/ discuss
      anything
      > > that might be of interest.
      > >
      > > Staffan
      >
      > What is that?
      ==========

      Jack,

      This may help;

      http://www.chivalrybookshelf.com/titles/I33/I33.htm

      Ximon
      Message 2 of 9 , May 22, 2006
        --- In RoyalGuildofDefense@yahoogroups.com, "Ximon el Martillo de

        oops! my bad.. got in a hurry..

        Message 3 of 9 , May 22, 2006
          Well Smiling Jack,

          In addition to what Ximon has stated, it is considered the treatise
          that was the beginning of the sport fighting (like Prizes). In the
          past, most manuals were training people to fight judicial duels. And,
          while the techniques in Meyer' manual can be applied to warfare and
          judicial duels, it was mostly for demonstrating skill.

          His is also one of the first (if not the first) to include rappier
          techniques as a part of a German martial arts system. The other
          weapons that it covers are longsword, dusack, dagger, wrestling, pike,
          halberd, and quarterstaff.

          Staffan

          --- In RoyalGuildofDefense@yahoogroups.com, "P-) Jack." <sjack@...>
          wrote:

          What is that?
        • Jeff Richardson
          Message 4 of 9 , May 22, 2006
            The Meyer translation is available from Greenhill Books. It's German
            rapier, longsword, etc.

            > The Art of Combat: A German Martial Arts Treatise of 1570

            > Ximon

            Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Justin Roland
            Message 5 of 9 , May 23, 2006
              Greetings, I have a DVD from Chivalry bookshelf, The Long Sword of Johannes Liechtenauer, and some it comes from Meyer as well. It's a pretty good video and the format is very usable, ( the scene selection/menu is cool ).

              GMoF Justin Dickson

              "P-) Jack." <sjack@...> wrote:
              Staffan Arffuidsson wrote:
              > Greetings,
              >
              > For those interested, I have a copy of the Meyer Treatise (translated
              > by Dr. Forgeng).  I'll be glad to share information/ discuss anything
              > that might be of interest.
              >
              > Staffan

              What is that?

            • Jeff Richardson
              Message 6 of 9 , May 23, 2006
                Staffan;
                I havn't purchased a copy as of yet. If you are going to be an Cynaqua
                Coronet I would be interested in looking it over.

                Lessingham

                Message 7 of 9 , May 23, 2006
                  It (and I) will be there.

                  Staffan