989Re: [RoyalGuildofDefense] Re: New file uploaded to RoyalGuildofDefense

  • Jeff Richardson
    Dec 28, 2005
      I don't know about a guide per se.   But it looks to be full of usefull information.  The purpose of the book is to help researchers and instructors with information from experienced people.  The list of contributors is impressive.  It isn't meant to be a step by step guide on how to teach.  Rather it is a collection of insights from teachers.  Which is pretty much what you have asked people to provide you with.

       From Chivalry Bookshelf  - "

      The included essays cover the gamut of swordsmanship as practiced today; medieval, Renaissance, Classical. Some essays discuss the finer points of mental preparation while others talk about the practicalities of running a class or study group. All is based on differing blends between research and teaching experience.

      In this volume many leaders of the historical swordsmanship community from around the world have come together to offer valuable insights to new generations of students and instructors. The reader will find both practical hints on how to teach and philosophical approaches to guide the development of their own drills and practice exercises. The collected wisdom of these teachers would take many decades to accumulate. In this book the reader will find treasured advice from teachers both modern and ancient."

      Personally I expect to find it worth the money for these two essays along

      "The Importance of Skill Progressions in Studying Western Martial Arts" -- Sean Hayes

       "Teaching Historical Fencing in the Salle" -- William E. Wilson

          I personally havn't purchased it yet, it's on my agenda for after the first of the year.  Along with SPADA2

      Lessingham