New file uploaded to Root_Cause_State_of_the_Practice

  • Root_Cause_State_of_the_Practice@yahoogr
    Message 1 of 260 , Apr 1, 2007
      Hello,

      a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the Root_Cause_State_of_the_Practice
      group.

      File : /Case Materials for Training/The Sash That Got the Finger
      Uploaded by : drbillcorcoran <williamcorcoran@...>
      Description : A story of change management gone awry.

      You can access this file at the URL:

      Regards,

      drbillcorcoran <williamcorcoran@...>
    • Hugh Laue
      Message 260 of 260 , Mar 17, 2013
      RE: Gernstein Paper

      Excellent paper - thanks for posting. I've seen lots of those "dark secrets"  during the 26 years I was in the chemical industry.

      This is key "Unless we concurrently alter both internal
      organizational culture and the larger societal context that contains it, our struggle to
      prevent disasters will ultimately remain a losing one."

      Our unsustainable toxic capitalist culture (see attached review) is the root that promotes "competitive advantage" - i.e. secrecy - all in the cause of "enlightened" self-interest. Hence the religion of "continual economic growth" as ultimate good, measured as GDP, which we know increases even when there's huge destruction (natural disasters and wars).

      I've only woken up relatively recently to the destructiveness of this culture that's become disconnected from the eco-systems that sustain life.

      I would be in despair if I hadn't connected with Permaculture Design (through my son) that provides an appropriate response to the anti-life economic growth paradigm. Key are the 4 ethical principles on which it is based
      Care for the earth
      Care for people
      Create and share surplus
      Promote life.

      I guess those of you in the RC business have seen enough of the "dark side" to also wonder whether your efforts are making any difference. For inspiration and a new sense of hope read Dave Holmgren's book "Permaculture Design; Pathways and principles beyond sustainability".

      Great to see the high degree of integrity and scholarship in this group.

      Kind regards

      Hugh

      --
      Dr Hugh Laue