Re: [Root_Cause_State_of_the_Practice] Air Marshal's...and a death in Florida

  • Michael Mulligan
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 10, 2005
      Before David died….I had disclose to whoever would
      listen at the facility….that I am a well known
      whistleblower….please tell me your story so we can
      change this place. I thought I would get fired
      emediately...I was amazed how long it took. I had them
      lined up to talk to me…and many middle managers.

      You know, a U.S. Senator and his distinguished family
      from NH ran the place. What’s the difference between a
      facility run for vulnerable children based on creating
      a positive political image and one based on helping
      families?

      I want you to know, I got my hand on this politician’s
      throat with the death of David….he knows I roll it out
      for that purpose….and he has really gotten the
      disabled bug. NH has one of the worst records of
      taking care of the vulnerable as David…and the
      illusion created by this politician has mostly
      leverage this inhumanity in the state. He talks about
      disability issues in defense of his political
      career…but he never sacrifices votes in order to make
      a principled stand….

      I had a two long term staff come up to me and explain
      the game before David died. I wrote a memo to
      management about it. It’s been a long term strategy of
      the employees to accuse “trouble making” employees of
      child abuse….those that complained about systemic
      issues of the facility. All you need is very little
      evidence….a single staff member or two friends
      agreeing on it…and out you would go. You had a high
      chance of not being about to work in human services
      again.

      You know, this is a wide spread typical tool of
      intimidation in the human serves industry…and the so
      called liberal’s are up to their necks in it. It’s an
      unbelievable potent abuse of power tool. They took out
      many innocent employees with false child abuse charges
      over the years …there was some legitimate child abuse
      issues…but the false charges created a total sense of
      intimidation with employees…. The concerned employees
      though the politician and his gang owned the state…and
      had absolutely no ability to get the feds involved.

      I am out in the community with this severe cerebral
      palsy man…he can barely feed him self and is in a
      wheelchair. He’s got tons of troubles with the police
      and community….again we get to the pathetic disabled
      structures in NH that fueled Tom’s troubles…and of
      course Tom had a big role in his troubles. If I was as
      disabled as Tom…you would have big troubles with me.
      Tom had nothing to do with his life. My son has mild
      mild mild CP.

      Tom had troubles at a restaurant with somebody being
      rude to him and went outside to yell and shake his
      fist at the sky. It just so happens the police station
      was next door and they had a new noise ordinance. I
      had to feed him, you understand. Three cops were
      called…. they came up to Tom without warning and
      tackled his wheel chair knocking him over…they put his
      foot through the restaurant huge window. They arrested
      him and put him in the country jail. The warden later
      called the judge saying we got a human rights issue at
      the jail because this old jail doesn’t have the
      ability to care for the disabled.

      So I am in talking to the police chief and second in
      command about the arrest in their office. I am goating
      them with “it took three police to tackle and arrest
      Tom”…you should be ashamed of yourselves. This was
      just before 9/11. He goes on to tell me the police
      force is a paramilitary organization…I am beyond
      appalled with that declaration. He goes into telling
      me they had long term problem with Tom…the social
      services are worthless for the police department…and I
      say, why don’t you openly advocate to fix the broken
      service agency. It’s just not our job mike. Then he
      tells me, we though Tom had a gun under his
      seat…that’s why we took him down as we did.

      You understand, it would take an hour for Tom to pull
      a gun out from under his seat….another hour to bring
      it up to shooting level….and I don’t think he could
      put his crooked fingers around the trigger guard to
      pull the trigger….forget the aim with his massive
      spastic muscles.

      I go ballistic with screaming and hollering at the
      police chief….swearing…spitting as I scream…veins
      sticking out…..standing up and pointing at them both.
      They stand up…and tell me if I don’t calm down they
      are going to cuff and arrest me. I pull back…and the
      meeting is over.

      Do you understand what is going on here? This guy has
      been sliding down the hill both physical and
      mentally….he is not even keeping himself clean and
      urine free. Everyone in the community is worrying
      about him…the police are worrying about his safety.
      His mother knows that once he get institutionalize…he
      will die in there and never have freedom again. It’s a
      well recognized path. The staff that has been assigned
      to him in recent years have been pathetic….they pay
      the personal assistant’s so little…and most of the
      state monies end up going to the service provider.
      These police were desperate…they were worrying about
      Tom dying on the street or in his
      apartment….fundamentally they were forced to create an
      incident for Tom’s protection. And then create a story
      for their protection.

      Tom’s been living in the NH mental institution for the
      last three years. They can’t find an apartment for him
      in the local area because of our housing crisis…he
      wants to get out and be free. Did I mention he has two
      degrees…one in history?

      You should be very wary of the immoral power tools
      these organizations can come up with. They are very
      cunning….and the aim is to create a terribly false
      incident for self protection means….that robs you of
      any explanation…generally there is no proof…just a
      declaration and it’s aim is to rob you of any
      humanity. And it designed to send a message to the
      rest of the employees…we are that powerful….we can
      take your job and career away from you on a whim…and
      absolutely no process.

      Thanks,

      mike mulligan
      Hinsdale, NH

      --- Michael Mulligan <steamshovel2002@...>

      === message truncated ===

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Michael Mulligan
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 10, 2005
        http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/09/national/09marshals.html?adxnnl=1&adxnnlx=1134231368-IbOYmWnyXYxGj6FGmJpJ6A

        December 9, 2005
        Air Marshals Tell of Burden in Reacting to Mental
        Status
        By MATTHEW L. WALD
        WASHINGTON, Dec. 8 - Part of air marshals' training
        entails various attack exercises in which actors
        portray "bad guys" of differing kinds, including some
        who are mentally ill. But marshals say the mental
        status of a person they must confront on the job may
        have little effect on their response.

        "In the street as a police officer, when you deal with
        an emotionally disturbed person, you are taught to
        contain that person, to call for emergency services
        and E.M.S.," said John Bottone, who formerly worked as
        an air marshal after a career with the New York City
        police. "But when you're in an airplane, you are
        emergency services, you are E.M.S., you are everybody.
        It's a whole different scenario you have to deal
        with."

        The marshals take a course called "Managing Abnormal
        Behavior" during their preliminary training at the
        Federal Law Enforcement Training Center in Artesia,
        N.M., said David M. Adams, a spokesman for the Federal
        Air Marshal Service. But several marshals said their
        main training was in the attack exercises, some
        intended to help them tell the difference between
        someone who is a real threat and, on the other hand,
        someone who is simply under the influence of drugs or
        alcohol and who may reach into a pocket to pull out
        something as innocuous as a ballpoint pen.

        In any case, discerning the finer points of a
        threatening person's motivations is not always a top
        priority outside of training.

        "I think there's a real fine line between somebody who
        is unstable and unbalanced, and somebody who's really
        fanatical about his cause," said one air marshal,
        recalling that the marshal corps existed in its
        present size because there were people who had
        volunteered to fly airplanes into big buildings.

        Mr. Bottone said mental status could not have been the
        first concern of the air marshals who shot an
        apparently bipolar man at Miami International Airport
        on Wednesday.

        "The federal air marshals weren't sitting there
        saying: 'Is this guy straight? Is this guy bipolar?' "
        he said. "What they saw is a guy who said he had a
        bomb, and it was a threat to kill them and everybody
        else on the aircraft."

        In fact, said Mr. Adams, the marshal service
        spokesman, concluding that a person is mentally ill is
        not the same as concluding that he is harmless.

        "A mentally disturbed person could still have a bomb,"
        he said. "Look at the individual who shot President
        Reagan."

        Since the increase in security after the terror
        attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, air travel has become much
        harder for the mentally ill, said Mary T. Zdanowicz,
        executive director of the Treatment Advocacy Center,
        which lobbies on behalf of people with mental illness.
        Ms. Zdanowicz said she had two brothers with
        schizophrenia, one of whom flew to Washington from
        Boston soon after Sept. 11. Her brother did not
        understand instructions to take off his shoes at the
        security screening point, she said, and had trouble
        staying seated within 30 minutes of landing, as was
        required for Reagan National Airport.

        "I've not had him fly since," she said.

        One problem, Ms. Zdanowicz said, is that a common
        tactic of law enforcement officers is the wrong one to
        use with the mentally ill.

        "Typically when they are trying to subdue someone
        whose behavior is escalating, they pump themselves up,
        make themselves big, get in their face and try to
        overpower them," she said. "That kind of behavior will
        more often lead a person with mental illness to get
        worse."

        After Wednesday's shooting, the National Alliance on
        Mental Illness called on the Air Marshal Service and
        other law enforcement agencies to review their
        training to determine if it is adequate. In August
        2004, the Homeland Security Department's inspector
        general found various deficiencies in the air marshal
        program, including inadequate background checks on the
        flood of new officers. Training problems were also
        cited, although they did not involve lack of
        instruction in detecting mental illness.

        The air marshal program has had frequent changes in
        organization. After the Sept. 11 attacks, thousands of
        marshals were recruited to flesh out a skeletal
        organization that had been part of the Federal
        Aviation Administration. The expanded program was run
        first by the newly formed Transportation Security
        Administration and later by another Homeland Security
        agency, the Bureau of Immigration and Customs
        Enforcement, the idea being that the marshals and the
        customs service could draw on each other's personnel.
        But in October the program was transferred back to the
        Transportation Security Administration.

        Copyright 2005The New York Times Company Home Privacy
        Policy Search Corrections XML Help Contact Us Work for
        Us Site Map Back to Top

        wrote:

> [...]
        >
        > > Bruce,
        > >
        > > Fundamentally, we are putting economics over human
        > > rights and human dignity…it goes really deep in
        > our
        > > country today. Historically…..internationally….our
        > > mentally disabled is the first ones to feel the
        > > brunt
        > > of economic and political troubles...they feel
        > risk
        > > first. They are the first and deepest. The EU is
        > > today talking about the morality of a pre 1970’s
        > USA
        > > institutionalization of the mentally disabled last
        > > week….how come we didn’t set them free like in
        > > America.
        > >
        > > What we got going on in the USA is “crimes against
        > > humanity” with all segments of our society being
        > > involved in the coverup.
        > >
        > > The game goes like this….the public hires(votes)

        === message truncated ===

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Michael Mulligan
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 11, 2005
          Ultimately…this is an attempt to protect the
          administration….this is what all the lying and
          deceiving is about. It’s a Rove project. The
          administration holds final accountability.

          You can’t get past…they were retroactively planting
          the seeds of the “B” word in the plane’s population
          during the investigation….Bomb.

          Again, we can’t get past that the air marshals have a
          poor opinion of airport searches…it's an agency in
          turmoil...that sets them on a hair trigger. Why didn’t
          they openly advocate…inform the politicians and
          public…that additional corrections are needed for the
          protections of the public on airplane.

          You can’t get past…didn’t they teach the marshal’s the
          case histories of suicide bombers…the bombers sit
          quietly in their seats…what’s the meaning of making a
          scene when everyone is going to be dead…so they wait
          to get up in the air over a certain area…then just
          push the bomb button or quietly attempt to light the
          fuse in their sneaker….these bombers are extremely
          dedicated and ready to die….maybe on drugs to control
          their emotion. They don’t go running out of the
          airplane before takeoff…acting like a maniac.

          Again, we got federal agencies who have secret
          perception’s of problems…stoved piped for political
          reasons…..that the problems are not confronted in an
          up front manner when first noticed.

          It’s one federal agency protecting another….until a
          death occurred…..and you can’t get
          past….fundamentally, that this is what allowed the
          hijackers into the cockpits in 9/11 throughout all our
          federal agencies….and once the death(s) occurs, it
          everyone protecting each other in a frenzy.

          I can’t get past….these seasoned police officers…the
          cream of the crop….that they didn’t ask…what if we are
          confronted with a mentally ill passenger and it
          happens every day in our business….we would have to
          kill them being on a hair trigger. Why didn’t they
          inform the public…lets us debate the morality of
          it…warn all of us that if you bring on an airplane an
          erratically mentally ill patient…if he acts up…he
          could be shot on the spot. Where is the plain
          language.

          What is it about the air marshal program that doesn’t
          allow open honest professional communication between
          themselves …other agencies….transparent….and the
          public they serve? This shield of untransparency and
          secrecy is generally a bureaucratic and political
          career protection scheme…it has no other function than
          protect dysfunction.

          I get a question from this....is homeland security
          nothing but a political protection sceme for both
          parties...is it nothing but to make bureacradic
          protection levels and plausable deniability.

          mike

          COURTS | MENTALLY ILL

          Family sues police over shooting

          The family of a mentally ill man killed by Miami-Dade
          police in March sued police in federal court.

          BY SUSANNAH A. NESMITH

          snesmith@...

          The family members of Cesar Rada say they did
          everything they could to warn police for years that
          their son was mentally unstable.
          But they say police ignored the warnings March 13,
          shooting to death their son, who was unarmed.
          Now, the Radas are doing the only thing left to do to
          find justice: They filed a lawsuit.
          The suit, filed in federal court last week and
          announced Friday, said Miami-Dade County police
          officers were too quick to shoot Rada because they
          didn't have special training or equipment to defuse
          emotional situations involving mentally ill
          individuals. They also said the department did not
          have a system in place to alert officers to addresses
          with mentally ill residents.
          The Radas had asked the department for such a system
          for their address, but the suit claims only a few
          officers were ever informed.
          Rada had bipolar disorder, a condition where a person
          swings from mania to depression. He was shot in the
          front yard of his family home after a confrontation
          with Miami-Dade Police Officer Jeffrey Price, who
          joined the force in July 2003.
          Police had responded to Rada's home almost a dozen
          times between 2001 and 2004 at the request of his
          parents.
          The weekend of the shooting, Rada's father, Augusto,
          and other relatives called police for help because
          they were unable to control Rada, 31, a burly
          5-foot-10-inch weight lifter.
          Rada's family, the suit said, told police in the 911
          call and again when officers arrived that Cesar was
          mentally ill. They expected Price to subdue him
          without harming him, as officers had done in the past.
          Miami-Dade County police are still investigating the
          shooting and declined to comment on the lawsuit.
          Rada was the seventh mentally ill individual shot by
          county police since 2002, the suit said.
          The suit's allegations are similar to the findings of
          a grand jury report issued in January and supports
          charges lodged by longtime critics of the Miami-Dade
          Police Department.
          TRAINING REVAMPED
          A month after Rada was killed, the county revamped its
          training program, adopting special training that the
          grand jury recommended to teach officers how to better
          deal with the mentally ill.
          The training program teaches officers, normally
          trained to get increasingly aggressive with someone
          who disobeys their commands, to instead work to calm
          down a mentally ill individual.
          All field training officers and patrol supervisors
          have to go through the training, Miami-Dade Maj.
          Bernie Gonzalez said Friday. Since the 40-hour classes
          started in April, all but a few dozen of the required
          officers have been trained, Gonzalez said.
          RESPONSE TO CALLS
          The supervisors who have received the training are
          supposed to respond to any call regarding a mentally
          ill individual to assist the road patrol officer,
          Gonzalez said. And the county hopes the training
          officers will pass on what they've learned to rookies.
          The department faced sharp criticism for their
          handling of the mentally ill in 2003, after officers
          shot two mentally ill men in the span of a couple
          weeks.
          ''The litany of shootings in this county shows that
          training was a joke, it was inadequate,'' said Gregory
          Samms, one of the attorneys representing Rada's
          parents, Rita and Augusto Rada.
          Ralph Patino, another attorney representing the
          family, says the couple remains devastated by the loss
          of their son, an aspiring actor and psychology student
          at Florida International University.

          email this

          print this

          reprint or license this

          wrote:

> [...]
          > > for that purpose….and he has really gotten the
          > > disabled bug. NH has one of the worst records of
          > > taking care of the vulnerable as David…and the
          > > illusion created by this politician has mostly
          > > leverage this inhumanity in the state. He talks
          > > about
          > > disability issues in defense of his political
          > > career…but he never sacrifices votes in order to
          > > make
          > > a principled stand….
          > >
          > > I had a two long term staff come up to me and
          > > explain
          > > the game before David died. I wrote a memo to
          > > management about it. It’s been a long term
          > strategy
          > > of
          > > the employees to accuse “trouble making” employees
          > > of
          > > child abuse….those that complained about systemic
          > > issues of the facility. All you need is very

          === message truncated ===

          http://mail.yahoo.com