RE: [Root_Cause_State_of_the_Practice] RCA Software

  • Salot, William
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 1, 2005
      Bill C.,

      First, why are you asking us to share "actual event investigation" reports generated by software?

      My experience is that potential sources, including me, are reluctant to share such reports publicly or privately.  Reasons include:
      1. The subject matter of the analysis may be sensitive or confidential.
      2. Some analyses lack thoroughness or rigor through no fault of the software.
      3. Many analyses do not utilize or reflect the full capability of the software.
      4. Most sources, like me, question the motives behind such requests.
      If you want to compare reports or analysts, they all should address the same event.  If you want to compare software outputs, they all should be based on the same inputs.  If you want to compare software effectiveness, where are you going to find an unbiased judge?

      Second, why are you asking for software tricks?  The tricks built into software are usually proprietary.

      We would all like to have the information you request.  Are you having any luck getting it?

      Bill Salot

      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 20, 2015

        Does anyone have a recommendation or review of Root Cause Analysis Software packages?  Such as Taproot, Reason, RCAT, Pathmaker etc.

        What are the advantages and limitations?

        Are they worth the money?

        Thanks for your insight!

        Glen

      • Bruce
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 20, 2015
          I used Apollo Reality Charting for many years as the foundation for all my RCAs, and used it to crosscheck barrier and change analyses and other techniques that Dr. Bill has in his Phoenix method.  It was also a  good tool to use to validate the corrective actions that were chosen to determine if they were CAs that (if implemented well) would prevent future occurrences.  They have many checks and balances and documentation points within the program.  Over the years they have made it very easy to use while retaining its power.  I found that management and workers alike could understand and bought into the results.  It works on Mac and PCs.  You can try it for free for 30 days at: www.realitycharting.com/.  I am currently trying the beta of version 7.1.  They do a great job of constant improvement based on user input.

          Bruce Hart
          Former analyst for Savannah River Nuclear Solutions, Aiken SC.

          On Feb 20, 2015, at 1:51 PM, glen.king@... [Root_Cause_State_of_the_Practice] <Root_Cause_State_of_the_Practice@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

          Does anyone have a recommendation or review of Root Cause Analysis Software packages?  Such as Taproot, Reason, RCAT, Pathmaker etc.

          What are the advantages and limitations?

          Are they worth the money?

          Thanks for your insight!

          Glen

        • DR WILLIAM CORCORAN
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 20, 2015
            Good topic.

            None of the software I've seen incorporates the recognized and generally accepted good investigation practices (RAGAGIP) and none prevent the user from adhering to them.

            The RAGAGIP for the Factor Tree are available at
            https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Root_Cause_State_of_the_Practice/database/9/records/print?sortByColumn=0&viewMode=comfort&sortOrder=ASC

            What are the other RAGAGIP?

            Take care,

            Bill Corcoran

            William  R. Corcoran, Ph.D., P.E.
            21 Broadleaf Circle
            Windsor, CT 06095-1634
            860-285-8779
            William.R.Corcoran@...
            http://www.linkedin.com/in/williamcorcoranphdpe
            https://www.box.com/shared/kfxg1lt9dh

[...]

          • allan mcnally
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 21, 2015
              Hello Glen,

              I have had the opportunity of using various methods such as 5-Why's, Fishbone, Apollo, FMEA, and PROACT and the one that meets my expectations the most has been PROACT. The methodology uses rigorous fact based data followed by a verification process based on failure modes to determine the physical, human, and latent root-causes that led to the failure(s). The methodology is simple, but yet powerful enough that anyone can facilitate an analysis by putting the right team together and gathering the correct data/evidence followed by a good analysis. Apollo is a good tool, but lacks the emphasis of physical failure analysis and the built-in failure modes found with PROACT.

              One of the most important factors that I look in a methodology is the ease in which everyone grasps the concept. So far what I have seen with PROACT is that it can be used by people on the floor as well as any engineer that wishes to use the methodology. Again, I look for systems that are simple but yet effective.

              Additionally, the software is very easy to navigate, affordable, and has the capability of storing pictures, interviews, and whatever supporting data there is available to do the analysis not to mention the report generating tool at the end of the investigation. Overall, the software is a great management tool to track the completion of the analysis as well as the progress being made anytime an analysis is completed and solutions are implemented. Last, but not least, the founders of PROACT do a great job teaching the methodology and the foundation of physical analysis of components overall. I have had the pleasure of working with them in a few projects and have always had good success in solving costly chronic issues.

              The only thing that limits the software is the lead investigator’s ability to execute an effective analysis. I am not sure which industry you work in, but PROACT’s methodology does a great job teaching the dominant failure modes for mechanical parts first followed by the methodology that comes with the software thus making the probability of solving a mechanical problem/failure much higher. Additionally, the methodology can be used with other types of failures or analysis aside from mechanical issues. Wish you luck.

              Regards,

              Allan McNally.

            • Steven M. Maloney
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 21, 2015

                Allan,
                Hi - i primarily work in nuclear and thermal power plants and have used PROACT many years ago.  I am interested in more details on using PROACT with Equipment Apparent Cause and RCA.  Can i call you sometime to discuss / get some reference points as far as how u use the tool?
                Sincerely,
                Steve Maloney

                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 21, 2015
                  Hello Steven,

                  I am currently in Jubail, Saudi Arabia and will be here for a while; therefore, if you don't mind please send me your phone number and a time in which I can call you this Monday or sometime during the week and I will gladly talk to you.

                  Regards,

                  Allan McNally.

                • Steven M. Maloney

                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 21, 2015
                      Excellent-I will look you up, Have a great trip.

                      Regards,

                      Allan McNally.
                    • Kevin Stewart
                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 23, 2015

                        When I click on the link below it takes me to a yahoo page but it is blank.

                        Kevin Stewart, PE, CMRP

                        Reliability Advisor

                        Instructor/Facilitator – Apollo Root Cause AnalysisTM Methodology

                        M: 509 630 1178

                        NOTICE - This message and any attached files may contain information that is confidential and/or subject of legal privilege intended only for use by the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this message in error and that any dissemination, copying or use of this message or attachment is strictly forbidden, as is the disclosure of the information therein. If you have received this message in error please notify the sender immediately and delete the message.

                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 23, 2015

                          Glen I thought I would piggy back on Bruce’s comments below.  Let’s start by clearing up that I am biased since you can see that I am an instructor for the Apollo method.  That being said you were asking for a recommendation / review of software packages and are they worth it.  I have tried to insure my comments are unbiased and factual but you can be the judge of that.

                          So I do recommend the Apollo software but don’t forget that all software is designed to do a task.  The problem with recommending a software is that you are basically recommending a methodology along with that are you not?  In Apollo’s case this is because the software is designed to assist an analyst in performing  an Apollo investigation.  I imagine that the other software is similar, so in reality you are actually asking what methodology should I use?  I doubt that Proact would work very well to do an Apollo investigation and vice versa.  This doesn’t make it bad software.  However I have seen where people try to use a software to perform a task that it is not intended for and then complain that it doesn’t work well.  When they switch to the “process” the software was designed for then it seems to work just fine – so keep that in mind in your search.

                          Another comment is don’t forget that none of the software in the world will do the analysis and I don’t believe any can keep you from putting the wrong causes down – regardless of the checks.  That means that you should be looking for something that helps you complete that analysis and provides feedback along the way.

                          All of Bruce’s comments are accurate.  However Apollo’s Version 7 is out of the beta test and being delivered if you take the course, or just want the software.  There are 7 rules included in the software that help an analyst  put an Apollo investigation together.  Some of the students in my classes have used the other software the you mentioned in your question, so I always ask what they think.  There are differences and positives and negatives with all software but all have said they like the ease of use, and the way it follows the process.  One last comment - at this point in time they have never asked for an upgrade fee as they improve the software.

                          As a review of the Apollo software:

                          ·         It forces you to complete each step before it will let you go to the next one

                          ·         It has 7 checks that it performs before you can complete a chart (you can bypass them if you disagree)

                          ·         It also has a couple of additional logic checks that assist the analyst in checking themselves to insure they haven’t inadvertently missed something or provided some internal bias they weren’t aware of

                          ·         It has a view that allows the analyst to look at each causal element individually which most find helpful since sometimes the details get buried in a large chart

                          ·         It allows for solutions (or corrective actions) as all do.  However ours includes a solution analysis section which is like an FMEA RPN number that allows you to force rank based on several criteria.  This allows you to provide some guidance to those that ask why did you chose that one.

                          ·         It allows for attaching anything that you can access on the internet, pictures, videos, documents, etc.

                          ·         It has a methodology for sending those attachments to others with the software if they were on your local computer

                          ·         The enterprise version has a searching methodology that allows you to look for common causes amongst all analysis that are part of the enterprise system

                          ·         The enterprise version has a tracking system built in to insure your “corrective actions” get tracked and completed

                          ·         There is a web based version that compliments the full blown software that is small and can be used by floor personnel

                          ·         Built into the software are several items that help an analyst such as:

                          o   A change tracking mechanism (all changes are identified from the point you turn it on) this allows others to provide input for your consideration

                          o   A flagging system so in a large chart you don’t forget to review a particular cause for some reason that you choose

                          o   Adjustable evidence list so you can standardize or modify you list of evidence that you wish to use

                          ·         Several other tools that assist in providing information such as a find/search feature; dashboard to get a feel for the overall analysis

                          ·         The other neat tool is the ability to send notes to the team members within the software easily and quickly to remind them of tasks that need to be completed

                          ·         It has a handy brainstorming feature that allows you to capture lots of causes at any time the team might be throwing them out

                          ·         It also includes a methodology to address a possible “or” condition where a particular cause might have two possible causes

                          I hope this helps you in your search

                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 23, 2015

                            I have found on this forum that the average participant is well-above average on their understanding of their RCA methodology of choice (legacy or an off the shelf brand).  This is the most sophisticated RCA discussion forum I have been involved with.  In other words, this group 'gets it' when it comes to RCA.

                            All providers have web sites that will tell their stories and provide demo access to their wares, as well as case studies and testimonials/referrals from people that say nice things (successful analysts).

                            To Kevin's comment about PROACT, I can say that we consider PROACT an 'investigation management system' that helps facilitate various RCA processes used by analysts (not just the PROACT Methodology).  We recognize there are common steps to any successful investigative occupation, and have incorporated those steps into our management system for RCA.  Analysts can determine themselves if their methodology of choice will benefit from our tool, or not.

                            Since this is not a sales forum, I suggest that interested parties do their due diligence on the provider's websites.  Providers will surely be happy to provide references to their actual users...the people who make the tools a success (because the tools cannot do it by themselves).

                            Good luck on your search Glen!

                            Robert J. Latino, CEO

                            Reliability Center, Inc.

                            1.800.457.0645

                            blatino@...

                            www.reliability.com

                            Message 13 of 14 , Feb 23, 2015
                            Kevin,

                            The native database is at
                            https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Root_Cause_State_of_the_Practice/database/9/edit

                            Click on "Actions" and choose "Print" for a better view.

                            In the last year or so Yahoo has gone backwards on group site appearances and features.

                            I have attached a PDF, which, alas, has some formatting issues courtesy of Yahoo.

                            I will work up a better version AWLP.

                            In the meanwhile, please send comments.

                            OBTW: I believe that most of what is in the table should be recognized and generally accepted good investigation practices (RAGAGIP).

                            I invite all RCA software to provide a list of the RAGAGIP they actually use.

                            What is in the table can be applied to any of the software offerings I have seen.