Inflammatory vs. Unjustified

  • DR WILLIAM CORCORAN
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2011
      Scroll down for the story and link.

      It contains masterfully inflammatory language.

      I have had rooticians tell me that they have been cautioned against using such language in event investigation reports.

      What is your experience?

      Take care,

      Bill Corcoran

      William  R. Corcoran, Ph.D., P.E.
      Nuclear Safety Review Concepts Corporation
      21 Broadleaf Circle
      Windsor, CT 06095-1634
      860-285-8779
      William.R.Corcoran@...

      Mission: Saving lives, pain, assets, and careers through thoughtful inquiry.
      Motto: If you want safety, peace, or justice, then work for competency, integrity, and transparency.
      Method: Mastering Investigative Technology
      Message: A good investigation makes the despicable explicable.

      ****Internet Email Confidentiality Footer****

      Privileged/Confidential Information may be contained in this message. If you are not the addressee indicated in this message (or responsible for delivery of the message to such person), you may not copy or deliver this message to anyone. In such case, you should destroy this message and notify the sender by reply email. Please advise immediately if you or your employer do not consent to Internet email for messages of this kind. Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message that do not relate to the official business of NSRC Corp. shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it.

      http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/02/opinion/woeful-cynical-misconduct.html?emc=tnt&tntemail1=y

      December 1, 2011

      Woeful, Cynical Misconduct

      The depth of prosecutorial misconduct in the 2008 trial of Senator Ted Stevens is shocking.

      An inquiry ordered by Judge Emmet Sullivan of Federal District Court in Washington has found “serious, widespread and at times intentional” concealment of evidence by the Justice Department that could have helped Mr. Stevens prove his innocence. The department has a separate inquiry that must point the way to repairing the public integrity section, which is responsible for prosecuting public officials.

      The Alaska senator was convicted of failing to report a gift from an oil company executive and lost his bid for re-election shortly after. Mr. Stevens was killed last year in a plane crash, a year after an F.B.I. agent offered an affidavit asserting prosecutorial misconduct. Attorney General Eric Holder Jr. acted responsibly in setting aside the conviction. But the damage to Mr. Stevens was done.

      Judge Sullivan presided at the trial and dismissed the senator’s conviction in 2009 and ordered an extraordinary investigation by an outside attorney into whether criminal contempt charges should be brought against the prosecutors. The judge cited the finding last week that the prosecution was “permeated by the systematic concealment of significant exculpatory evidence which would have independently corroborated” Mr. Stevens’s defense.

      Despite those findings, no charges were recommended because, the investigation noted, Judge Sullivan did not specifically order prosecutors to turn over exculpatory evidence. This technicality raises questions of whether something more explicit may be required in evidence law.

      The Stevens trial remains a tragedy that saw one of the prosecutors commit suicide. Judge Sullivan’s inquiry contributes significantly to a full airing of woeful misconduct, but the Justice Department must act forcefully to repair the damage.