Old maps

  • Andy Lee
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 13, 2003
      Friends ...

      Are you aware of the old Ordnance Survey maps available from
      http://www.alangodfreymaps.co.uk?

      "These maps are invaluable for historians and genealogists. More than
      1,500 titles have been issued in this major series of reprints of Old
      Ordnance Survey Maps of towns throughout Britain and Ireland.

      Most of the maps are highly detailed, taken from the 1/2500 plans and
      reprinted at about 14 inches to the mile. They cover towns in great
      detail, showing individual houses, railway tracks, factories,
      churches, mills, canals, tramways and even minutiae such as dockside
      cranes, fountains, signal posts, pathways, sheds, wells, etc.

      Each map includes historical notes on the area concerned. Many also
      include extracts from contemporary directories. The maps are neatly
      folded, often with an early photograph on the cover. The maps are
      ideal for local historians, transport historians, and family
      historians, or simply those with an interest in the town they live in
      or have visited."

      The service is excellent ... I telephoned yesterday lunchtime with my
      order for maps of Romford 1915, Rush Green 1914, Heath Park & Emerson
      Park 1915 (and others)and they were waiting for me when I returned
      home from work this evening. All at 2.10 of Her Gracious Majesty's
      pounds each, plus an extremely modest (50p!) postage and package charge.

      And ... the website
      http://www.alangodfreymaps.co.uk
      is designed very simply - no frills, no special effects, just the
      information you need.

      Highly recommended.

      My thanks to my friend Ian Macauley of the RLSOldBoys group for
      pointing me to this resource.

      Andy.
      p.s. I have no commercial or any other interest in the service
      referred to above other than as a satisfied customer ... I'm just
      passing on a tip.
      Andy Lee, Tutbury, Staffordshire, England
      ahl@...
    • a.ives1
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 12, 2004
        Hallo. I'm Allen Ives, ex McIntosh Close, St.Edwards CofE Primary, Royal
        Liberty, most of the pubs in the market (are they still standing?), since
        escaped to N.W.London.

        Anyone know of any good sources for 2nd-hand street maps of Romford, pref.
        1940-1960?

        Cheers.

        Allen
      • Terry Hadert
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 27, 2004
          Re Allen Ive's 12 April posting.

          Allen,

          I bought a copy of actual and proposed Canal developments in the London area (including the ill-fated Romford Canal scheme) from:
          Cartographics, 49 Grange rd., Biddulph, Stoke on Trent ST8 7RY
          Ph. 01782 513449 email Maps@...

          Might be worth a try for the maps you seek. Happy Hunting!

          Terry Hadert, South Australia.

        • a.ives1
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 28, 2004
            Hello Terry.