Re: [Romanshield] Lead in Roman reproduction cookware warning

  • Lee Holeva
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 7, 2010
      Too late for us as well, as we have cooked food in these for a couple of
      years now. What is Germany's lead standard compared to that of the USA?

      Lee

      john wrote:
      > Reposted from RAT
      >
      > Re: AH3982S Roman Situla (Tinned)
      >
      > New postby Marcus Mummius » Tue 22 Dec 2009, 5:09
      >
      > caiustarquitius wrote:I recently received a letter by one of the major German deepeeka dealers that the lead content of the tinning in these vessels is so high that they are by the German health department not deemed appropriate for cooking or even storing food in them, since the maximum lead allowance is exceeded by more than 200 %
      > Same for the patera and other tinned vessels, it seems. So, here´s this information for you all, in case you intend to use any of these for cooking etc., better leave it.
      >

      > Yikes, that isn't nice. Thanks for the head's up. We'll have to start looking for another source then.
      >
      > We have been actively using these in the past... :cry:
      >
      > Jef Pinceel
      > a.k.a.
      > Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

    • Kaler john
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 7, 2010
        Here is a link to consumer reports on available lead testing kits that you could use to test your cookware:
        http://blogs.consumerreports.org/safety/2007/10/testing-the-lea.html
        There are probably differences in lead content due to Deppeeka subcontracting and some items being from other manufactuers.
        I would suggest each item be tested before using whatever the supposed source.

        John Kaler
        MSG, USA
        Retired
        Member Legio V (Tenn, USA)
        http://web.utk.edu/~cohprima/
        Moderator of these Yahoo groups
        Primarily for storage of photos,files&links :

        john wrote:

        > Reposted from RAT
        >
        > Re: AH3982S Roman Situla (Tinned)
        >
        > New postby Marcus Mummius » Tue 22 Dec 2009, 5:09
        >
        > caiustarquitius wrote:I recently received a letter by one of the major German deepeeka dealers that the lead content of the tinning in these vessels is so high that they are by the German health department not deemed appropriate for cooking or even storing food in them, since the maximum lead allowance is exceeded by more than 200 %
        > Same for the patera and other tinned vessels, it seems. So, here´s this information for you all, in case you intend to use any of these for cooking etc., better leave it.
        >

        > Yikes, that isn't nice. Thanks for the head's up. We'll have to start looking for another source then.
        >
        > We have been actively using these in the past... :cry:
        >
        > Jef Pinceel
        > a.k.a.
        > Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

      • Dean
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 8, 2010
          All I have to say is... Really?! You guys trusted cookware from India? No one should be eating off anything that comes from India ever. Just look at the Depeeka equipment, really there is hardly any Quality control (that the reenactors aren't doing for deepeeka). Why did anyone think they would be doing any better at cookware? There is a world wide trend towards cheap(not to be confused with inexpensive) and if you buy cheap expect to pay for it eventually.

          It's like the sign in a blacksmith friends shop which reads "you want it bad? You'll get it bad. Want it worse? you'll get it worse." Words to live by.

          Dean
        • D. M. VARIANvS
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 8, 2010
            except for the fact that Indian stuff is still WILDLY BETTER than the original stuff was. Our expectations are way too high--modern people want fuckin' Excalibur, not what they had then. And if it ain't from India, where? Like I'm gonna pay someone $330. for a brass pan.
            Marsh

            --
            DECIMvS MERCATIvS VARIANvS
            a.k.a.: Marsh Wise

            Associated with:
            -LEGIO IX HISPANA East Coast
            -LEGIO XIIII GMV

            Read my Blog (bore yourself): <http://www.reenactor.net/rnet_admin/marsh/marshblog.html>

            Websitarius:
            -reenactor.Net: http://www.reenactor.net/
            -LEGIO XIIII GMV <http://www.nationalromanlegion.com/>

            Netscape Aim/AOL screen name: Sturmkatze

            Yahoo Messenger screen name: sturmkatze

            Alteris renumera duplum de quoquo tibi numeraverunt.

            *Last: Hey Dammit! Have you visited the NEW reenactor.Net? If not, WHY NOT?
            We have not only forums for all periods but a new, improved way for YOU to list
            YOUR reenactment group/unit.

            Gett your butt over to: http://www.reenactor.net/forums/index.php right now!
          • Adam MacDonald
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 8, 2010
              ...and until they really start to understand that reenactors actually WANT TO USE this stuff, and not put it on display in the den, they won't make them foodsafe from the get-go.

              'Toxic levels of lead' doesn't sound 'wildly better' as far as use...

              Scithi
              Legio IX HSPA

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 8, 2010
                    so they don't get it either. So buy a deepeeka and clean the lead out. Re-tin it. I dunno. Eat lead and die. Feed it to that Stephen Romero clown in Colorado and let HIm die.

                    http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Romanshiel d/
                    http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Pugio/
                    http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Romangear/
                    http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/RomanArtil ley/

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 9, 2010
                      Strictly speaking eating from lead lined pans once or twice a year isn't going to really cause much harm but I guess I just can't believe anyone would think that this stuff is any where near food safe.  Lead is far more dangreous for developing humans than adults.  Besides it may impart a subtle sweet flavor to your food, yum!

                      No you are right everyone wants the officer gear or the kings armour.  No one wants to pay $300 for a pan but then you shouldn't ask for a $300 pan you ask for a $30 pan and see what you get. You get what a rank an file guy had which is realistic, I agree.  But the rub is everyone wants the tribunes patera (helmet, cuirass, sword etc..) for $30 that's just plain silly.

                      Dean

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 9, 2010
                        Well, Indians, alas, just don't care. :-( As for the patera, it could be like $15. or less. It's crazy. I'd rather tin it myself.