Re: Republic scutum

  • David
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 21, 2008
      bump
      --- In Romanshield@yahoogroups.com, "David" <dwills777@...> wrote:

      > Greetings,
      > I've seen mostly curved sided Republic scuta, but on some
      gravestones,
      > the sides are parallel. Is there a certain time period, or is that
      one
      > of those things that were just variants during all eras? Naturally,
      it
      > would be a whole lot easier to make parallel sides than to
      manufacture
      > a curved sided anykind of shield.
      >
      > Also, I've seen among reenactors at least one version of a slightly
      > domed oval Republic scutum. Is that correct? How in the world would
      > one make one of those? (FTR, some of the Late Roman shields are said
      > to be oval and domed. How are they constructed?)

    • Kaler john
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 26, 2008
        Dear David;
        I am afraid there in not much activity on the Roman shiel discussion group.
        May I suggest you post your question on the Roman Army talk forum research area;
        here is the link:
        http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewforum.php?f=17
        John

        David <dwills777@...> wrote:
        bump
        --- In Romanshield@ yahoogroups. com, "David" <dwills777@. ..> wrote:

        > Greetings,
        > I've seen mostly curved sided Republic scuta, but on some
        gravestones,
        > the sides are parallel. Is there a certain time period, or is that
        one
        > of those things that were just variants during all eras? Naturally,
        it
        > would be a whole lot easier to make parallel sides than to
        manufacture
        > a curved sided anykind of shield.
        >
        > Also, I've seen among reenactors at least one version of a slightly
        > domed oval Republic scutum. Is that correct? How in the world would
        > one make one of those? (FTR, some of the Late Roman shields are said
        > to be oval and domed. How are they constructed? )

      • David Wills
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 27, 2008
          Lurkers.  Gotta wonder why they join fora, you know?  Even the least of us has something to contribute.

          I'm designing a very simple shield design for a hypothetical legion.  13th.  The Q below was to get some guides on shape.  I think I'll go with a double radius, wide on the sides, and narrow on the top/bottom.  That seems most common, from what I've seen on RAT, and elsewhere.

          As it develops, I'll put some pictures up here, in a folder called 13th Legion, or something that fits into the format.  The Republic scutum will be fairly simple, then the 'ordinary' rectangular scutum, which will add a little, and probably a parma.  Might make a velite shield, too, which will be ore like the Republic one, but the signifer parma will be fairly elaborately decorated.  The elements click around in my brain, but something will gel pretty soon.  Should get the wood wet this week, then we'll see what all comes of it.

          Thanks, John, and you're right.  Not much traffic here.

          David <dwills777@yahoo. com> wrote:
          bump
          --- In Romanshield@ yahoogroups. com, "David" <dwills777@. ..> wrote:

          > Greetings,
          > I've seen mostly curved sided Republic scuta, but on some
          gravestones,
          > the sides are parallel. Is there a certain time period, or is that
          one
          > of those things that were just variants during all eras? Naturally,
          it
          > would be a whole lot easier to make parallel sides than to
          manufacture
          > a curved sided anykind of shield.
          >
          > Also, I've seen among reenactors at least one version of a slightly
          > domed oval Republic scutum. Is that correct? How in the world would
          > one make one of those? (FTR, some of the Late Roman shields are said
          > to be oval and domed. How are they constructed? )

          Saepe veritas est dura.
          ---M. Demetrius

        • John
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 29, 2008
            REPUBLICAN SCUTUM NOW AVAILABLE FROM kELTICA
            Photo is in Commerical Shield section.
            John Kaler

            --- In Romanshield@yahoogroups.com, David Wills <dwills777@...> wrote:

            > Lurkers. Gotta wonder why they join fora, you know? Even the least
            of us has something to contribute.

            > I'm designing a very simple shield design for a hypothetical
            legion. 13th. The Q below was to get some guides on shape. I think
            I'll go with a double radius, wide on the sides, and narrow on the
            top/bottom. That seems most common, from what I've seen on RAT, and
            elsewhere.

            > As it develops, I'll put some pictures up here, in a folder called
            13th Legion, or something that fits into the format. The Republic
            scutum will be fairly simple, then the 'ordinary' rectangular scutum,
            which will add a little, and probably a parma. Might make a velite
            shield, too, which will be ore like the Republic one, but the signifer
            parma will be fairly elaborately decorated. The elements click around
            in my brain, but something will gel pretty soon. Should get the wood
            wet this week, then we'll see what all comes of it.

            > Thanks, John, and you're right. Not much traffic here.

            > Kaler john <jkaler48@...> wrote:
            > Dear David;
            > I am afraid there in not much activity on the Roman shiel discussion
            group.
            > May I suggest you post your question on the Roman Army talk forum
            research area;
            > here is the link:
            > http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewforum.php?f=17
            > John
            >
            > David <dwills777@...> wrote: bump
            > --- In Romanshield@yahoogroups.com, "David" <dwills777@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Greetings,
            > > I've seen mostly curved sided Republic scuta, but on some
            > gravestones,
            > > the sides are parallel. Is there a certain time period, or is that
            > one
            > > of those things that were just variants during all eras? Naturally,
            > it
            > > would be a whole lot easier to make parallel sides than to
            > manufacture
            > > a curved sided anykind of shield.
            > >
            > > Also, I've seen among reenactors at least one version of a slightly
            > > domed oval Republic scutum. Is that correct? How in the world would
            > > one make one of those? (FTR, some of the Late Roman shields are said
            > > to be oval and domed. How are they constructed?)

            Try it now.

            > Saepe veritas est dura.
            > ---M. Demetrius

            Search.