Building a Scutum

  • David
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 14, 2009
      Anybody interested in a step by step on making a scutum using modern,
      easily available materials? (regular plywood, Tite Bond carpenter's
      glue, normal wood fillers, etc.)

      I've started just such a series, with pictures and text. Lemme know.
      This seems a logical place to put one, doesn't it?

      M. Demetrius
    • Kaler john
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 14, 2009
        YES that would be a welcome addition to the photo section!

        John Kaler
        MSG, USA
        Retired
        Member Legio V (Tenn, USA)
        http://web.utk.edu/~cohprima/
        Moderator of these Yahoo groups
        Primarily for storage of photos,files&links :

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 14, 2009
          OK, I'll start putting time up in a folder called "Modern Scutum Making".  How's that?

          I'm making a Republic/Principate oval, curved one, about 32" x 47", no spine, round steel boss.  Might add a spine later, if it seems like a good idea.  But the spine will stop at the flange of the boss, as some of them did.  It seems like that was just an afterthought, or a hat tip to the past "Barleycorn" and "Batwing" bosses.

          M. Demetrius

          Saepe veritas est dura.
          ---M. Demetrius Abicio

          http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Romanshiel d/
          http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Pugio/
          http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Romangear/
          http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/RomanArtil ley/

            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 14, 2009
              It probably would be.  I can't go this year, though.  Maybe 2011.
              M. Demetrius

              Saepe veritas est dura.
              ---M. Demetrius Abicio

              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 15, 2009

                That would be very useful. Please send me the details or direct me to a website.

                Regards

                Crassvs (AKA Mark Kelly)

                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 15, 2009
                  On this group, in the folder called "Modern Scutum Making" are photos with captions, Right now it concerns an oval Republican scutum, but the principles and steps apply to any.  I'm starting a regular rectangular scutum in a couple of days, and will splice in the steps I use to bend the plywood then.

                  Questions?  email me and I'll try to answer.

                  M. Dem

                  Saepe veritas est dura.
                  ---M. Demetrius Abicio

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 17, 2009
                    A couple more pictures added.

                    --- In Romanshield@yahoogroups.com, David Wills <dwills777@...> wrote:

                    > On this group, in the folder called "Modern Scutum Making" are
                    photos with captions, Right now it concerns an oval Republican scutum,
                    but the principles and steps apply to any.  I'm starting a regular
                    rectangular scutum in a couple of days, and will splice in the steps I
                    use to bend the plywood then.

                    > Questions?  email me and I'll try to answer.
                    >
                    > M. Dem
                    >
                    > Saepe veritas est dura.
                    >
                    > ---M. Demetrius Abicio

                    On Behalf Of David