How do I find the shield design for a specific Cohort?

  • titusgraccus
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 29 4:15 AM
      The unit I am forming is Cohort I Vindelicovm MECR.
      I haven't been able to find a shield design for it though.
      Any ideas?
      Pedro
      Titus Graccus
      Cohort I Vindelicorvm
      Milliaria Equitata Civivm Romanorum
    • David Wills
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 29 5:25 AM

        Considering there are only a couple of legions/cohorts that have known designs, it's very unlikely you'll be able to find that specific one.  The ones that are known are from someone's gravestone which shows the shield AND the legion the person had been attached to.

        Is there another unit in your area?  Collaborate with them to find out what would fit in best with what they're doing.  Not saying you can't do what you want, but if they have a workable design for theirs, then perhaps you can make something very similar, so you'll blend when you work together, yet retain your own identity.  Just a thought.

        M. Demetrius

        Saepe veritas est dura.
        ---M. Demetrius Abicio

        The unit I am forming is Cohort I Vindelicovm MECR.
        I haven't been able to find a shield design for it though.
        Any ideas?
        Pedro
        Titus Graccus
        Cohort I Vindelicorvm
        Milliaria Equitata Civivm Romanorum

      • DECIMvS MERCATIvS VARIANvS
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 29 6:45 AM
          That's because, as Dan says (and HE'S RIGHT!), we don't know ANY of the shield designs for any Legio other than Leg. XIIII. Period, no other. That's the way it is. Saying that, you're just going to have to take a design off of Trajan's Column or something. Yes, you will have to use one, because there IS NO PROOF for anything else. Don't get your knickers twisted worrying about it.
          Marsh

          --
          DECIMvS MERCATIvS VARIANvS
          a.k.a.: Marsh Wise (tired of reenactor politics and BS)

          -LEGIO IX HISPANA "PENNA Chapter"

          Read my Blog (bore yourself): <http://www.reenactor.net/rnet_admin/marsh/marshblog.html>

          Websitarius:
          -reenactor.Net: http://www.reenactor.net/
          -Legio IX Hispana Pennsylvania Chapter -- <http://www.reenactor.net/units/leg_ix_penna/>

          Netscape Aim/AOL screen name: Sturmkatze

          Yahoo Messenger screen name: sturmkatze

          Alteris renumera duplum de quoquo tibi numeraverunt.

          *Last: Hey Dammit! Have you visited the reenactor.Net FORvMS? If not, WHY NOT?
          Gett your butt over to: http://www.reenactor.net/forums/index.php right now!
        • titusgraccus
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 29 3:26 PM
            Demetrius,
            Well the closest unit is about 20 hours drive away (Legio IIII Flavia
            Felix) that being said, we are working together (as much as we can)
            and I picked a Cohort that probably worked with Legio IIII.
            So I guess I'll just find something that looks cool.
            Pedro