Shield Colour

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 6 , May 24, 2008
      My group, Sydney Ancients - sydneyancients.5u.com are looking at
      expanding our 1st Century Imperial Roman depictions and are looking for
      alternatives to the standard red for shield base colour. We dont want
      to change the colour just for the sake of being different. There are a
      few groups that use blue as their shield colour, but we dont know if it
      is based on any archeological references. I'll be contacting them as
      well. I have only been able to find red and the occasional white
      shield on mosaics and wall paintings. Most non red shields all seem to
      be late Imperial (3rd Century onwards) which is not the period we want
      to do

      Does any one have references (books/journals/articles/websites) that
      show or discuss other than red or white?

      Mark
    • richard robinson
      Message 2 of 6 , May 27, 2008
        ti saluto
        I had wondered whether you had abandoned the 1st century Marcus.
        On Rat there are groups that use black and i am sure discuss this question. there is also a roman shield discusion group i have joined but it is still limited by lack of numbers.
        but no i don't know of sources.
        i still plan on using the roman red that time team told us about for my republican scutum that will be finnished soon (ie... heating ochre with vinegar) as i am curious about the protective power of dirt,
        ave
        q sertorius minimus

        Mark <ancient1s@...> wrote:
        My group, Sydney Ancients - sydneyancients.5u.com are looking at
        expanding our 1st Century Imperial Roman depictions and are looking for
        alternatives to the standard red for shield base colour. We dont want
        to change the colour just for the sake of being different. There are a
        few groups that use blue as their shield colour, but we dont know if it
        is based on any archeological references. I'll be contacting them as
        well. I have only been able to find red and the occasional white
        shield on mosaics and wall paintings. Most non red shields all seem to
        be late Imperial (3rd Century onwards) which is not the period we want
        to do

        Does any one have references (books/journals/articles/websites) that
        show or discuss other than red or white?

        Mark

        <*> Your email settings:
        Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
        (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
        mailto:Romanshield-digest@yahoogroups.com
        mailto:Romanshield-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Paul Graves
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 20, 2008
          So does this mean, as far as is known, Roman infantry always used red
          for their shield base colour? It's not something that changed over
          time, or as the army evolved, or as new legions were formed?

          Thanks
          Paul Graves

          [apologies if this is an obvious question - i'm subject newbie!]

          --- In Romanshield@yahoogroups.com, richard robinson <helmetwise@...>
          wrote:

          > ti saluto
          > I had wondered whether you had abandoned the 1st century Marcus.
          > On Rat there are groups that use black and i am sure discuss this
          question. there is also a roman shield discussion group i have joined
          but it is still limited by lack of numbers.
          > but no i don't know of sources.
          > i still plan on using the roman red that time team told us about
          for my republican scutum that will be finished soon (ie... heating
          ochre with vinegar) as i am curious about the protective power of
          dirt,
          > ave
          > q sertorius minimus
          >
          > Mark <ancient1s@...> wrote:
          > My group, Sydney Ancients - sydneyancients.5u.com are looking at
          > expanding our 1st Century Imperial Roman depictions and are looking
          for
          > alternatives to the standard red for shield base colour. We dont
          want
          > to change the colour just for the sake of being different. There
          are a
          > few groups that use blue as their shield colour, but we dont know
          if it
          > is based on any archaeological references. I'll be contacting them
          as
          > well. I have only been able to find red and the occasional white
          > shield on mosaics and wall paintings. Most non red shields all seem
          > be late Imperial (3rd Century onwards) which is not the period we
          want
          > to do
          >
          > Does any one have references (books/journals/articles/websites)
          that
          > show or discuss other than red or white?
          >
          > Mark
        • David Wills
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 20, 2008
            I think the short answer to your question is, "Nobody knows for sure."  All we do know is that there were quite a few shield designs, and some of the found ones are surely painted with a red background.

            DemTex

            Saepe veritas est dura.
            ---M. Demetrius Abicio

            wrote:

            > ti saluto
            > I had wondered whether you had abandoned the 1st century Marcus.
            > On Rat there are groups that use black and i am sure discuss this
            question. there is also a roman shield discussion group i have joined
            but it is still limited by lack of numbers.
            > but no i don't know of sources.
            > i still plan on using the roman red that time team told us about
            for my republican scutum that will be finished soon (ie... heating
            ochre with vinegar) as i am curious about the protective power of
            dirt,
            > ave
            > q sertorius minimus
            >
            > Mark <ancient1s@. ..> wrote:
            > My group, Sydney Ancients - sydneyancients. 5u.com are looking at
            > expanding our 1st Century Imperial Roman depictions and are looking
            for
            > alternatives to the standard red for shield base colour. We dont
            want
            > to change the colour just for the sake of being different. There
            are a
            > few groups that use blue as their shield colour, but we dont know
            if it
            > is based on any archaeological references. I'll be contacting them
            as
            > well. I have only been able to find red and the occasional white
            > shield on mosaics and wall paintings. Most non red shields all seem
            > be late Imperial (3rd Century onwards) which is not the period we
            want
            > to do
            >
            > Does any one have references (books/journals/ articles/ websites)
            that
            > show or discuss other than red or white?
            >
            > Mark

          • Paul Graves
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 20, 2008
              No full colour roman shield catalogs found in Pompeii then?

              --- In Romanshield@yahoogroups.com, David Wills <dwills777@...> wrote:

              > I think the short answer to your question is, "Nobody knows for
              sure."  All we do know is that there were quite a few shield designs,
              and some of the found ones are surely painted with a red background.

              > DemTex
              >
              > Saepe veritas est dura.
              > ---M. Demetrius Abicio

            • Matt Lanteigne
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 20, 2008
                There are a couple units in Europe that use blue and another that uses green for their scuta.

                Matt Lanteigne