Important: New Book Discussion Format

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 3, 2002
      Hello all!

      Given the fact that most chat rooms are difficult to access, and that some
      people don't trust the privacy of the only easy one, AIM, we've decided to
      follow other book groups and move the discussion to a forum. This has the
      advantage that people can post at any time, which gives those outside the
      US/Canadian time zones the opportunity to participate too.

      The e-mail list is a rather awkward format for this kind of discussion as
      opposed to forum posts which can be reviewed by scrolling down.

      Luckily, we have a made-to-order forum, Ancient Classical History "Homework
      Help" http://forums.about.com/ab-ancienthist2/start. This is a sidekick of
      N.S. Gill's Ancient Classical History Forum,
      http://forums.about.com/ab-ancienthist/start, and has folders for book
      discussions set up already.

      There is a box in the upper right hand corner of each forum, which allows you
      to switch from one forum to the other. You will find me on these forums under
      the moniker "RomaHOST."

      Please take a look at the setup by signing in as guest--unless you are an
      About.com member already. Member sign-up is free and easy. If you should have
      problems signing up, please contact N.S. Gill via her homepage
      http://ancienthistory.about.com/.

      We will kick off the new format in mid-September with N.S. Gill's recent
      suggestion to have a theme: Clodius Pulcher and his shenanigans, and running
      it at least through early October.

      The list of books is:

      Steven Saylor: "Murder on the Appian Way" (mystery)
      John Maddox Roberts: "The Sacrilege" (mystery)
      Benita Kane Jaro: "The Lock" (novel)
      Relevant sections from the McCullough series (novel)
      Cicero: "Pro Caelio" (online)

      It will *not* mean that every one of you should read, or should be familiar
      with, *every single one* of these books.

      Later this week, I will prepare my usual webpage on the subject, including
      suggested background readings, and will announce the subject again at that
      time.

      Late September, we will be looking for suggestions for the next book or book
      theme and can vote on it.

      I hope everyone will enjoy this new format. Of course, it may start out with
      a bit of trial & error, so: a) you may have to be patient, and b) we will
      entertain constructive suggestions once we have started.

      This group is a member of The Literature Reading Circle at
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LiteratureReadingCircle

    • Jean Diedrick
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 3, 2002
        This group is sooo complicated. There are too many places to be.
        Chat room, web page, About.com, forum, Homework Help, etc.,
        etc.

        Jean D

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 3, 2002
          No chatroom anymore beyond Thursday, and you can limit yourself to webpage
          and Homework Help Forum.

          :-)