Re: [Roman_History_Books] Residence of Pontifex Maximus

  • David Wend
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 14, 2002
      The office of pontifex maximus was an elected one and his house or
      headquarters was the Regia, which was not far to the House of the Vestals. I
      could see some confusion between the two.

      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 14, 2002
        go here:

        http://www.ku.edu/history/index/europe/ancient_rome/E/Gazetteer/Places/Europe/

        Italy/Lazio/Roma/Rome/.Texts/PLATOP*/Atrium_Vestae.html

        "The domus Publica <A HREF="http://www.thelatinlibrary.com/suetonius/suet.caesar.html#46 ">(Suet. Caes. 46) </A>still continued to be the residence of
        the pontifex maximus until Augustus, on assuming that office in 12 B.C.,
        transferred it to the Palatine (Cass. Dio liv.27) and presented the domus
        Publica to the Vestals (Jahrb. d. Inst. 1889, 247). In 36 B.C. Domitius
        Calvinus built the marble Regia, an entirely separate structure."

        I think that's where the confusion came in.

        Forum Book Discussions
        http://forums.about.com/ab-ancienthist2/start
        This group is a member of The Literature Reading Circle at
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LiteratureReadingCircle

      • lennep95
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 14, 2002
          --- In Roman_History_Books@y..., David Wend <Dawend@m...> wrote:
          > The office of pontifex maximus was an elected one and his house or
          > headquarters was the Regia, which was not far to the House of the
          Vestals. I
          > could see some confusion between the two.

          Oops, the link to Bill Thayer's site did not work properly. Here is
          another attempt:

          http://www.ku.edu/history/index/europe/ancient_rome/E/Gazetteer/Places
          /Europe/Italy/Lazio/Roma/Rome/.Texts/PLATOP*/Atrium_Vestae.html

          Irene
        • Carolyn Kleintank
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 15, 2002
            Thank you for your help. From what you are saying the Vestals didn't live
            with Julius Caesar.
            You cleared this up when you say the Vestals were given the domus Publica at
            the time of Augustus.
            Also it is helpful about the marble Regia being built in 36B.C.
            Carolyn

            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 15, 2002
              What I'm saying is, that during Caesar's time as Pontifex Maximus (and his
              predecessors'), the Vestals lived a cross the hall from him, so to speak. <
              grin>

            • Jeepers@Alaska.net
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 15, 2002
                Although Gaius Julius spent much of his time in Gaul... about ten
                years.. yet it seemed to be a 'duplex' living arrangement without locks.

                Lightwell