Re: Residence of Pontifex Maximus

  • lennep95
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 13 6:42 PM
      --- In Roman_History_Books@y..., "Carolyn Kleintank" <taxfree@c...>
      wrote:

      >> I can't believe the Pontifex Maximus would have shared a residence
      with the Vestal Virgins.

      As a matter of fact, he did. He was in charge of the Vesta cult.

      Forum Book Discussions
      http://forums.about.com/ab-ancienthist2/start
      This group is a member of The Literature Reading Circle at
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LiteratureReadingCircle
    • Jeepers@Alaska.net
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 13 8:12 PM
        Greetings

        My understanding of the living arrangements split the domus of the
        Pontifex Maximus into halves. The Pontifex Maximus' circumstances were
        more elegant than those of the Vestals. This info comes from Colleen
        McCullough who did a great deal of research for her Masters Of Rome
        series.... which I recommend reading

        Lightwell

        I have found a conflict doing research. The Regia in the forum had a
        residence in the back of it. I have seen that the Pontifex Maximus
        lived there. I have also seen that he lived at the Domus Publica, and
        shared this with the Vestal Virgins. During the time that Julius Caesar
        was Pontifex Maximus, does anyone know where he would have resided?

        I can't believe the Pontifex Maximus would have shared a residence with
        the Vestal Virgins.

        Thanks
        Carolyn
      • David Wend
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 14 12:58 PM
          The office of pontifex maximus was an elected one and his house or
          headquarters was the Regia, which was not far to the House of the Vestals. I
          could see some confusion between the two.

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 14 3:08 PM
            go here:

            http://www.ku.edu/history/index/europe/ancient_rome/E/Gazetteer/Places/Europe/

            Italy/Lazio/Roma/Rome/.Texts/PLATOP*/Atrium_Vestae.html

            "The domus Publica <A HREF="http://www.thelatinlibrary.com/suetonius/suet.caesar.html#46 ">(Suet. Caes. 46) </A>still continued to be the residence of
            the pontifex maximus until Augustus, on assuming that office in 12 B.C.,
            transferred it to the Palatine (Cass. Dio liv.27) and presented the domus
            Publica to the Vestals (Jahrb. d. Inst. 1889, 247). In 36 B.C. Domitius
            Calvinus built the marble Regia, an entirely separate structure."

            I think that's where the confusion came in.

            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 14 3:16 PM
              --- In Roman_History_Books@y..., David Wend <Dawend@m...> wrote:
              > The office of pontifex maximus was an elected one and his house or
              > headquarters was the Regia, which was not far to the House of the
              Vestals. I
              > could see some confusion between the two.

              Oops, the link to Bill Thayer's site did not work properly. Here is
              another attempt:

              http://www.ku.edu/history/index/europe/ancient_rome/E/Gazetteer/Places
              /Europe/Italy/Lazio/Roma/Rome/.Texts/PLATOP*/Atrium_Vestae.html

              Irene
            • Carolyn Kleintank
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 15 11:50 AM
                Thank you for your help. From what you are saying the Vestals didn't live
                with Julius Caesar.
                You cleared this up when you say the Vestals were given the domus Publica at
                the time of Augustus.
                Also it is helpful about the marble Regia being built in 36B.C.
                Carolyn

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 15 12:51 PM
                    Although Gaius Julius spent much of his time in Gaul... about ten
                    years.. yet it seemed to be a 'duplex' living arrangement without locks.

                    Lightwell