Residence of Pontifex Maximus

  • Carolyn Kleintank
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 13, 2002
      I have found a conflict doing research. The Regia in the forum had a residence in the back of it. I have seen that the Pontifex Maximus lived there. I have also seen that he lived at the Domus Publica, and shared this with the Vestal Virgins. During the time that Julius Caesar was Pontifex Maximus, does anyone know where he would have resided?

      I can't believe the Pontifex Maximus would have shared a residence with the Vestal Virgins.

      Thanks
      Carolyn

    • lennep95
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 13, 2002
        --- In Roman_History_Books@y..., "Carolyn Kleintank" <taxfree@c...>
        wrote:

        >> I can't believe the Pontifex Maximus would have shared a residence
        with the Vestal Virgins.

        As a matter of fact, he did. He was in charge of the Vesta cult.

        Forum Book Discussions
        http://forums.about.com/ab-ancienthist2/start
        This group is a member of The Literature Reading Circle at
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LiteratureReadingCircle
      • Jeepers@Alaska.net
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 13, 2002
          Greetings

          My understanding of the living arrangements split the domus of the
          Pontifex Maximus into halves. The Pontifex Maximus' circumstances were
          more elegant than those of the Vestals. This info comes from Colleen
          McCullough who did a great deal of research for her Masters Of Rome
          series.... which I recommend reading

          Lightwell

          I have found a conflict doing research. The Regia in the forum had a
          residence in the back of it. I have seen that the Pontifex Maximus
          lived there. I have also seen that he lived at the Domus Publica, and
          shared this with the Vestal Virgins. During the time that Julius Caesar
          was Pontifex Maximus, does anyone know where he would have resided?

          I can't believe the Pontifex Maximus would have shared a residence with
          the Vestal Virgins.

          Thanks
          Carolyn
        • David Wend
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 14, 2002
            The office of pontifex maximus was an elected one and his house or
            headquarters was the Regia, which was not far to the House of the Vestals. I
            could see some confusion between the two.

            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 14, 2002
              go here:

              http://www.ku.edu/history/index/europe/ancient_rome/E/Gazetteer/Places/Europe/

              Italy/Lazio/Roma/Rome/.Texts/PLATOP*/Atrium_Vestae.html

              "The domus Publica <A HREF="http://www.thelatinlibrary.com/suetonius/suet.caesar.html#46 ">(Suet. Caes. 46) </A>still continued to be the residence of
              the pontifex maximus until Augustus, on assuming that office in 12 B.C.,
              transferred it to the Palatine (Cass. Dio liv.27) and presented the domus
              Publica to the Vestals (Jahrb. d. Inst. 1889, 247). In 36 B.C. Domitius
              Calvinus built the marble Regia, an entirely separate structure."

              I think that's where the confusion came in.

              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 14, 2002
                --- In Roman_History_Books@y..., David Wend <Dawend@m...> wrote:
                > The office of pontifex maximus was an elected one and his house or
                > headquarters was the Regia, which was not far to the House of the
                Vestals. I
                > could see some confusion between the two.

                Oops, the link to Bill Thayer's site did not work properly. Here is
                another attempt:

                http://www.ku.edu/history/index/europe/ancient_rome/E/Gazetteer/Places
                /Europe/Italy/Lazio/Roma/Rome/.Texts/PLATOP*/Atrium_Vestae.html

                Irene
              • Carolyn Kleintank
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 15, 2002
                  Thank you for your help. From what you are saying the Vestals didn't live
                  with Julius Caesar.
                  You cleared this up when you say the Vestals were given the domus Publica at
                  the time of Augustus.
                  Also it is helpful about the marble Regia being built in 36B.C.
                  Carolyn

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 15, 2002
                      Although Gaius Julius spent much of his time in Gaul... about ten
                      years.. yet it seemed to be a 'duplex' living arrangement without locks.

                      Lightwell