Hi I am new here

  • lady_of_ancient_mists
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 30, 2002
      I have a question about Ancient Rome. Does anyone know if the Assyrines ever invaded of attacked anyone in Rome?
    • Jimmyjb
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 1, 2002
        Well, I'm old here, but I'll try to answer your question. The short answer is "no".

        The Assyrians were busy conquering in the ninth through the seventh centuries BC, when Rome wasn't much more than
        those neat little twins Rom and Rem. They romped through most of the Near East, gobbled up Syria, Judaea and Israel
        (still the divided kingdoms then) and the Upper Nile in Egypt after which they pretty much shot their bolt. So Rome
        wasn't even a player when they were conquering. They didn't have any navy in any event so couldn't swim across the
        Adriatic on those inflated goat skin things. Land route was tough, and, like I said, nothing much happening in Italy
        worth the trip.

        Whether an Assyrian ever " attacked anyone in Rome" was a matter for the Rome police department.

        Hope this helps more than it confuses.

        Jim Bloom