...and more on Julian

  • IrenesBooks@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 29, 1999
      had occasion to do some Gibbon and Ammianus reading.

      I had given you the Gibbon link for Chapter 23, but there is actually more.
      So, in sequence, here are:
      <A HREF="http://ccel.wheaton.edu/gibbon/decline/volume1/chap19.htm">http://cc
      el.wheaton.edu/gibbon/decline/volume1/chap19.htm</A> covers Gallus under
      Constantius and Julian in Gaul. This roughly parallels our current reading
      assignment through Chapter XII;
      <A HREF="http://ccel.wheaton.edu/gibbon/decline/volume1/chap23.htm">http://cc
      el.wheaton.edu/gibbon/decline/volume1/chap23.htm</A> discusses largely the
      religion of Julian;
      <A HREF="http://ccel.wheaton.edu/gibbon/decline/volume1/chap24.htm">http://cc
      el.wheaton.edu/gibbon/decline/volume1/chap24.htm</A> (a brief chapter)
      discusses the remainder of Julian's life and the beginning of the reign of
      Jovian.

      Gibbon fans may enjoy the closing sentence of Chapter 19 and of the
      description of Paris:
      <<If Julian could now revisit the capital of France, he might converse with
      men of science and genius, capable of understanding and of instructing a
      disciple of the Greeks; he might excuse the lively and graceful follies of a
      nation whose martial spirit has never been enervated by the indulgence of
      luxury; and he must applaud the perfection of. that inestimable art which
      softens and refines and embellishes the intercourse of social life. >>

      Ammianus is called in the introduction of the Penguin edition the "last great
      Roman historian."

      Hope to see you next Thursday, and please don't forget to mail me "food for
      thought" for <A HREF="http://members.xoom.com/placida/discuss.htm">http://memb
      ers.xoom.com/placida/discuss.htm</A>.