Our Most Recent Listing of Books on Ancient and Medieval History

  • Antiquest.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 27, 2002
      Hi everyone,

      Below is our latest list of new and used books for sale on Ancient and Medireview history which I think you�ll find interesting. Each book will be sold on a first come first serve basis. Just email me directly at antiquestnet@... with the name and number of the book(s) you would like.

      Please note a couple of recent changes, first we've added a shipping discount for domestic orders over $50.00 and we now accept Bidpay for payment. This last change should be particularly helpful for those of you ordering from international locations. To learn more about Bidpay, please take a look at their site at www.Bidpay.com

      Shipping and handling within the USA is $4.00 for the first book and $2.00 each additional book. For orders of $50.00 or more, shipping and handling is � price. Shipping costs to outside the USA depends on the destination, and it may take us several days to get back to you with that information from the US Postal Service.

      Payment can be made by Paypal, Bidpay or by certain international postal money orders made out in US dollars. We cannot be responsible for payments mailed in cash.

      Payment from outside the USA is required in US dollars and may require additional charges if there are costs associated with completing the international transaction.

      All transactions are to be paid for within 14-calendar days, unless special arrangements are agreed to.

      Also, if you are not already a member please join my e-group list by subscribing at:

      Antiquestnetbooks-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      Subscribers will get a 24-hour head start on everyone else.

      For reference, please check out our ebay feedback, the ID is: "antiquest.net" Thanks for your interest and keep on reading!

      Antiquestnetbooks

      803. The War of the Roses by JR Lander - A richly illustrated and highly readable overview of the dynastic conflicts of the latter half of the fifteenth century England. Hardcover with dustjacket in brand new never read condition. Published in 1997. 244-pages. Lists for $27.00. Our Price: $16.00

      804. Romans and Barbarians by Derek Williams - Presents a vivid picture of two contrasting worlds as the bounds of the Roman Empire began to feel the stress of the encroaching barbarians. Hardcover with dustjacket in brand new never read condition. Published in1999. 237-pages. Lists for $27.95. Our price: $17.00

      805. A Short History of Ireland by Martin Wallace - A readable outline of Irish history that traces the successive invasions of Celts, Vikings, and Normans , the Tudor and Stuart settlements and the gradual emergence of the �Irish question� in British political life. Hardcover with dustjacket in brand new never read condition. Published in 1996. Our Price: $14.00

      806. Medireview Warfare Sourcebook: Christian Europe and its Neighbors by David Nicolle - A highly illustrated and detailed examination of the campaigns, weapons, warriors and commanders of medireview warfare. Complete with extensive glossary, maps and charts. A must half resource for the serious student of medireview society. Hardcover with dustjacket in brand new never read condition. Published in 1996. 320-pages. Lists for $45.00. Our Price: $23.00

      807. Arts of the Celts by Lloyd and Jennifer Laing - Looks at the entire spectrum of Celtic art with all of its vibrancy, power, and intricate patterns is revealed here from the Iron Age through the revival of Druid culture. Softcover in brand new never read condition. Published in 1992. 216-pages. Our Price: $11.00

      808. The Medireview Underworld by Andrew McCall - Considers such sections of society as outlaws and brigands, homosexuals, heretics, witches, prostitutes, thieves, fraudulent beggars and vagabonds in terms of their activities and punishments. Hardcover with dustjacket in brand new never read condition. Published in 1993. 319-pages. Lists for $24.95 Our Price: $16.00

      809. Henry Plantagenet 1133-1189 by Richard Barber - The story of both a man and nation in the making. A great read. Hardcover with dustjacket in brand new never read condition. Published in 1993. 278-pages. Our Price: $16.00

      810. Warfare in England 1066-1189 by John Beeler - Retells the story of all the recorded battles and sieges that took place during these 120+ of Anglo-Norman operations. A large and highly detailed volume. Hardcover with dustjacket in brand new never read condition. Published in 1995. 493-pages. Our Price: $23.00

      811. Frederick the Great on the Art of War edited and translated by Jay Luvaas - A detailed summation of the art of war by one of the greatest warriors of all time. Softcover in brand new never read condition. Published in 1999. 391-pages. Lists for $16.95 Our Price: $12.00

      812. Images of Moses by Daniel Jeremy Silver - An examination of the ancient personality that forms one of the focal points of Jewish and western tradition. Hardcover with dustjacket in very good condition. Published in 1982. Our Price: $12.00

      813. William Wallace the King�s Enemy: The Man Who Was Braveheart by DJ Gray - A biograhpy that probes the character and life of this resolute and at times pitiless warrior. Hardcover with dustjacket in brand new never read condition. Published in 1996. 173-pages. Our Price: $15.00

      814. The Life of Greece by Will Durant - A history of Greek Civilization from the beginnings and of civilization in the Near East from the death of Alexander, to the Roman conquest, with an introduction on the prehistoric culture of Crete. Hardcover in good overall condition. Published in 1939. 754-pages. Our Price: $16.00

      815. The Mycenaean World by John Chadwick - A detailed look at the ancient world of the Myceneans and the detail of their everyday lives. Hardcover in dustjacket in excellent overall condition. Published in 1977. 201-pages. Our Price: $14.00

      816. The Twilight Lords by Richard Berleth - The fierce, doomed struggle of the last great feudal lords of Ireland against the England of Elizabeth I. Hardcover with dustjacket in brand new never read condition. Published in 1994. 316-pages. Our Price: $15.00

      817. The Civil Wars: A Military History of England, Scotland and Ireland 1638-1660 edited by John Kenyon and Jane Ohlmeyer - A series of essays that focuses on the conflict that engulfed the kingdoms ruled by Charles I after 1638. Hardcover with dustjacket in brand new never read condition. Published in 1998. 391-pages. Lists for $39.95 Our Price: $20.00

      818. The Gift of the Jews: How a Tribe of Desert Nomads Changed the Way Everyone Thinks and Feels. by Thomas Cahill - A look at the history of the Jewish people from ancient times and their impact on the development of western culture. Hardcover with dustjacket in brand new never read condition. Published in 1998. 291-pages. Lists for $23.50 Our Price: $14.00

      819. Greek Coins by Ian Carradice - A great descriptive and reference tool for the collector of ancient Greek coins, illustrated with numerous coin photos. Published in 1995. 112-pages. Lists for $15.00 Our Price: $11.00

      820. The Ancient Boeotians and the Coinage of Boeotia by W. Rys Roberts and Barclay V. Head - An examination of this ancient culture and their coinage, with many tables and illustrations. Softcover in excellent overall condition. Published in 1974. Approximately 105-pages. Our Price: $23.00

      821. The Arts & Crafts of Ancient Egypt by Flinders Petrie - One of the classic works on ancient Egypt by one of the world�s great archaeologists. Softcover in brand new never read condition. Published in 1996. 165-pages. Our Price: $13.00

      822. Rome by M. Rostovtzeff - Begins in the fourth century BC just when the Greek world was falling apart and closes with the social and political catastrophe of the thrid century AD. Softcover in very good overall condition. Published in 1971. 347-pages. Our Price: $13.00

      823. Alexander�s Drachm Mints I: Sardes and Miletus by Margaret Thompson Numismatic Studies No. 16) - A great reference work with numerous coin photos. Hardcover in brand new never read condition. Published originally in 1983. Approximately 150 pages, including plates. Our Price: $28.00

      824. Ancient Roman Gardens by Linda Farrar - The first comprehensive account of gardens and gardening in the Roman period. Hardcover with dustjacket in brand new never read condition. Published in 1999. 237-pages. Our Price: $17.00

      825. Caesar Against the Celts by Ramon L. Jimenez - Takess the reader on each of Caesar�s campaigns in ancient France, Britain and Germany describing his battles on land and sea including the invasions of England, the brifge across the Rhine and sieges of numerous Celtic Strongholds. Hardcover with dustjacket in brand new never read condition. Published in 1996. Our Price: $17.00

      826. Courtesans and Fishcakes: The Consuming Passions of Classical Times by James Davidson - A very readable and detailed description of basic everyday life in ancient Athens. Hardcover with dustjacket in brand new never read condition. Published in 1998. 32-pages. Our Price: $16.00

      827. Gods, Graves and Scholars: The Story of Archaeology by C.W. Ceram - Published in 1954 with a number of photos, drawings and maps. Hardcover in very good condition. Published in 1967. 441-pages. Our Price: $13.00

      828. Who Were the Celts?: Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About the Celts 1000 BC to the Present by Kevin Duffy. With particular emphasis on early Celtic culture. Hardcover with dust jacket in brand new, never read condition. Published in 1999. 250-pages Our Price: $14.00

      829. Greek Myths and Legends by KE Sullivan - Presents a dazzling collection of the most enthalling of the Geek tales, vividly retold and illustrated. Hardcover with dust jacket in brand new, never read condition. Published in 1998. 128-pages. Lists for $27.00 Our Price: $17.00

      830 Stonehenge Revealed by David Souden - Every facet of this amazing monument, from the archaeological to the New Age, has been brought together onto one large and beautifully illustrated volume that is both entertaining and informative. Hardcover with dust jacket in brand new, never read condition. Published in 1997. 160-pages. Lists for $29.95 Our Price: $17.00

      831. Caligula: The Corruption of Power by Anthony A. Barrett - This work draws on archaeological, numismatic and literary evidence to evaluate this infamous figure in the context of the system that gave him absolute power. Hardcover with dust jacket in virtually brand new, never read condition. Published in 1990. 334-pages. Our Price: $1600

      832. Herculaneum: Italy's Buried Treasure by Joseph Jay Deiss - The full story of the life and death of Herculaneum and the history of the excavations there. Hardcover with dust jacket in excellent condition. Published in 1966. 174-pages. Our Price: $15.00

      833. Paths of Wisdom by John Michael Greer - Principles and practice of the magical Cabala in the western tradition. Softcover in brand new, never read condition. Published in 1996. 394-pages. Lists for $16.95 Our Price: $12.00

      834. People of the First Crusade by Michael Foss - Opens the window onto one of the world's most bizarre adventures in which ordinary people changed the course of history; views the subject through many eye-witness accounts of men and women of all ranks. Hardcover with dust jacket in brand new, never read condition. Published in 1997. 232-pages. Lists for $25.00 Our Price: $14.00

      835. Roman England by John Burke - Vividly reconstructs the Romano-British way of life and reveals a wealth of Roman sites, remains and treasures that can be seen today. Hardcover with dust jacket in good overall condition, though the dustjacket is stained.. Published in 1984. 152-pages. Our Price: $14.00

      836. The Celtic World by Barry Cunliffe - A very large and beautifully illustrated volume that takes us beyond the ruins and artefacts to the people themselves, the way they lived, their temperament gargantuan feasts and warmaking. Hardcover with dust jacket in virtually brand new, never read condition. Out of Print. Published in 1979. 224-pages. Lists for $59.95 Our Price: $28.00 (*Counts as two books for purposes of shipping and handling.)

      Past Offerings Still Available:

      429. Florentine Histories by Nicolo Machiavelli - A classic in the world of medireview thought. This is a brand new, never read condition soft cover volume. Published in 1990. 391-pages. Our Price: #13.00

      438. Gladiators by Michael Grant - An exciting account of the ancient Roman institution of arena combat, this book traces the bloody 800-year history of the bustuarii from their rise during the 3rd century BC to their eventual abolition at the end of the 5th century AD. Published in 1995. Hardcover with dust jacket and many photos, in brand new, never read condition. 128-pages. Our Price: $15.00

      459. A Guide to the Ancient World: A Dictionary of Classical Place Names by Michael Grant - A massive reference volume of nearly 900 places throughout the ancient Greek and Roman civilizations. Published in 1997. Hardcover with dust jacket in brand new, never read condition. 728-pages. Our Price: $23.00 (#459)

      531. Egypt to the End of the Old Kingdom by Cyril Aldred - A telling of the turbulent story of Egypt until the Pyramid Age. Published in 1965. Hardcover with dust jacket in very good condition. With numerous photos. 143-pages. Our Price: $14.00

      544. Women Who Ruled: A Biographical Encyclopedia by Guida M. Jackson - A look at 360 Women rulers, including many from ancient and medireview times. Published in 1998. Hardcover with dust jacket in brand new, never read condition. 192-pages. Original list price of $55.00. Our Price: $17.00

      599. Roman Imperial Civilization by Harold Mattingly - An overview of this ancient civilization. Published in 1959, softcover in excellent condition with a number of coin illustrations. 374-pages. Our Price: $9.00

      613. A Complete Guide to Egypt and the Archaeological Sites by A. Hoyt Hobbs and Joy Adzigian - A broad look at the country and its archaeological wonders. Softcover in excellent condition, with numerous pages. Published in 1981. 320-pages Our Price: $13.00

      618. The Greek Way by Edith Hamilton - A classic in the study of ancient Greece. This book looks at Greek life and civilization. Hradcover in excellent condition, Published in 1942. 347-pages. Our Price: $14.00

      620. A History of Ancient Egypt by Nicolas Grimal - A history of what is arguably the first great civilization from the first human settlement in about 12,000 BC to its conquest by Alexander the Great in 333 BC. Hardcover with dust jacket in brand new, never read condition. Published in 1997. 518-pages. Our Price: $17.00

      621. Egyptian Hieroglyphs for Everyone: An Introduction to the writing of ancient Egypt by Joseph and Lenore Scott - A great beginning primer. Hardcover with dustjacket in brand new, never read condition. Published in 1993. 95-pages. Our Price: $14.00

      658. Knights: The Complete Story of the Age of Chivalry, from Historical Fact to Tales of Romance and Poetry by Andrea Hopkins A large volume with numerous photos and maps. Published in 1998/9. Hardcover with dust jacket in brand new, never read condition. 191- pages Our Price: $17.00

      659. The Search for Cleopatra by Michael Foss - A detailed look at arguably the most fascinating figure of the ancient world. Hardcover with dust jacket in brand new, never read condition. Published in 1997. 191-pages. Orig price: $24.95 Our Price: $15.00

      663. Who Gave Pinta to the Santa Maria: Torrid Diseases in a Tropical World - How tropical diseases affected the development of history, particularly with regard to the meeting of the new and old worlds during the 15th through 18th centuries. Softcover in brand new, never read condition. Published in 1997. 256-pages. Our Price: $11.00

      682. The Celts: Glorious Treasures by Karen Sullivan - A wonderful insight into Celtic artistry and treasures. Hardcover with dustjacket in brand new, never read condition. With many beautiful photos. Published in 1997. 93-pages. Our Price: $13.00

      688. The Blood and the Shroud by Ian Wilson - New evidence that the world's most sacred relic is real. A great read. Softcover in brand new, never read condition. Published in 1998. 333-pages. Our Price: $11.00

      689. Lionhearts: Richard I, Saladin and the Era of the third Crusade by Geoffrey Regan - One of the most gripping pieces of history told in terms of the story of its primary characters. Hardcover with dustjacket in brand new, never read condition. Published in 1998. 254-pages. Our Price: $14.00

      694. Chronicles of the Celts: The Classic Sagas by Iain Zaczek - A collection of storys from the ancient Celtic culture. Softcover in brand new never read condition. Published in 1996. 159-pages. Our Price: $13.00

      700. Imagining Atlantis by Richard Ellis - A fascinating historical and archaeological detective story. Hardcover with dustjacket in brand new never read condition. Published in 1998. 322-pages. List price: $27.50 Our Price: $15.00

      703. The Barbarian West 400-1000 by JM Wallace-Hadrill - Looks at how the barbarian really admired the ways of the West and wanted to emulate Roman culture. Published in 1998. 183-pages. Our Price: $13.00

      705. The Mummy: Funereal Rites & Customs in Ancient Egypt by Ernest A. Wallis Budge - This volume will fascinate anyone wishing to understand not only the process of mummification, but also the cultural background of a ritual upon which an entire civilization was built. Softcover in excellent overall condition, though there are a couple of very small abrasions on the cover. Published in 1995. 404-pages. Our Price: $12.00

      708. The History of Atlantis by Lewis Spence - The author looks at the archeological evidence to support Plato�s account of Atlantis and decides it is possible. Hardcover with dust jacket in excellent overall condition. Published in 1996. 238-pages. Our Price: $13.00

      710. Nefertiti and Cleopatra: Queen Monarchs of Ancient Egypt by Julia Samson - A new and vivid account of the lives of the two pre-eminent queen/monarchs of ancient Egypt. Hardcover with dustjacket in brand new never read condition. Published in 2002. 150-pages. Our Price: $14.00

      711. The Secret of the Hittites: The Discovery of an Empire by C.W. Ceram - Chronicles one of the most arresting chapters in the story of archaeology. Softcover in very good overall condition. Published in 1973. 281+ pages. Our Price: $13.00

      712. Art Forms and Civic Life in the Late Roman Empire by H.P. L�Orange - Covers art and architecture, during the time of Diocletian, its relationship to religion and civic administration, etc. Softcover, in excellent condition. 131-pages. Our Price: $13.00

      752. Arms, Armies and Fortifications in the Hundred Years War by Curry Hughes Arms, Armies and Fortifications in the Hundred Years War Offers a much broader and truer picture of the realities of medireview warfare by focusing on less visible aspects and evidence than is typically used by historians. Examines surviving artifacts such as artillery pieces, longbows, and nautical remains to give a realistic assessment. Hardcover with dustjacket in brand new never read condition. Published in 1999. 221-pages. Our Price: $20.00

      756. Caesars and Saints: The Rise of the Christian State, AD 180-313 by Stewart Perowne - Describes the process by which Rome became transformed from a pagan monarchy to a Christian theocracy. Hardcover with dustjacket in brand new never read condition. Published in 1992. 191-pages. Our Price: $14.00

      757. The Classical Greeks by Michael Grant - A look at the Golden Age of Greek civilization from the first wars against Persia and Carthage to Alexander�s succession. Hardcover with dustjacket in brand new never read condition. Published in 1997. 337-pages. Our Price: $16.00

      758. Alfred: Warrior King by John Peddie - As King of Wessex he founded the first Royal Navy in order to repel the Vikings. Examines the scale and intent of the relentless threat by the Vikings, military and logistical problems, and the strategies he devised. Hardcover with dustjacket in brand new never read condition. Published in 1999. 224-pages. Originally $39.95 Our Price: $19.00

      760. Ancient Warfare edited by John Carman and Anthony Harding - This fascinating book examines the archaeological evidence for warfare in early Europe from prehistoric times to the early medireview period. Hardcover with dustjacket in brand new never read condition. With numerous illustrations and tables. Published in 1999. 279-pages. Our Price: $19.00

      769. Maps in Tudor England by PDA Harvey - A beautifully illustrated look at the maps of this period and their impact on the political and social life on England. A large hardcover with dustjacket in brand new never read condition. Published in 1993. 120-pages. Our Price: $19.00

      773. Ancient and Medireview Warfae: The History of the Strategies, Tactics and leadership of Classical Warfare edited by Thomas E. Griess. A large and fully illustrated volume with a number of color, fold-out maps. A special book on very interesting topic. Softcover in brand new never read condition. Our Price: $14.00

      774. Reading the Past: Cuneiform by CBF Walker - A look at the writing form that flourished in the Near East from before 300 BC to 75 AD. Surveys the development of the script from the earliest pictograph signs to its use in later languages. Softcover in brand new never read condition. Published in 2000. 62-pages. Our Price: $12.00

      775. The Classical Gazeteer y William Hazlitt - A comprehensive and through guide to the geography of the classical world. Softcover in brand new never read condition. Published in 1995. 378-pages. Our Price: $15.00

      776. Egyptian Legends and stories by MV Seton-Williams - An entertaining and insightful compilation culled from songs, plays, stories and prayers, some of it dating from as far back as the early Pharaonic period. Hardcover with dustjacket in brand new never read condition. Published in 1999. 137-pages. Our Price: $14.00

      777. Celtic Daily Life by Victor Walkley - Includes sections on herb lore, metalwork, wine and brewing, feasts, recipes, clothing, perfumes, marriage rites, legends and beliefs, etc. Hardcover in brand new never read condition. Published in 1997. 128-pages. Our Price. $13.00

      778. Cruelty and Civilization: The Roman Games by Roland Auguet - A detailed examination of the games, the gladiators and the crowds that watched it all. Hardcover with dustjacket in brand new never read condition. Published in 1994. 222-pages. Our Price: $16.00

      779. Private Lives, Imperial Virtues: The Frieze of the Forum Transitorium In Rome by Eve D�Ambra - Examines how art depicting mythological themes served as an instrument of social policy in the Roman Empire by viewing one of Rome�s most famous works of art. Hardcover with dustjacket in brand new never read condition. Published in 1993. Approximately 200-pages with many illustrations. Our Price: $14.00

      784. The Druids by Stuart Piggott - A look at Druidism as the religion of the Celts of pre-Roman Gaul and Britain. With numerous illustration, including those of period coins. . Softcover in brand new never read condition. Our Published in 1999. Price: $13.00

      787. The East India Company by Brian Gardner - One of the most famous and long-lived firms in history. A look at its times, leaders and role in the world. Hardcover with dustjacket in brand new never read condition. Published in 1997. 319-pages. Our Price: $14.00

      788. The Inquisition: Hammer of Heresy by Edward Burman - A panoramic study offering the general reader a description and interpretation of the Inquisition and its methods. Hardcover with dustjacket in brand new never read condition. Published in 1992. 253-pages. Our Price: $14.00

      793. Translated Documents of Greece and Rome, Volume One: Archaic Times to the End of the Peloponnessian War, edited and translated by Charles W. Fornara - A detailed and scholarly translation of a number of documents, with footnotes. Softcover in excellent overall condition. Published in 1977. 231-pages. Our Price: $16.00

      794. The Rise of the Greeks by Michael Grant - A classic in the study of ancient Greek society by one of the greatest classicists of modern times. Softcover in excellent overall condition. Published in 1987. 391-pages. Our Price: $13.00

      Joy

      Antiquestnet@...