Julian by Gore Vidal

  • IrenesBooks@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 21, 1999
      Well, we are done with Burckhardt, most of you will be happy to know. The
      German original version will arrive with my brother on Thanksgivings. I will
      let you know how the translation compares with it.

      Next is "Julian" by Gore Vidal, paperback, ISBN 0345329082. If you haven't
      bought the book yet, check your local library.

      I think this is a book all will enjoy.

      It has been suggested to me by one of our members that we should divide the
      discussion into 2 chats, as there is so much to talk about.

      This would mean:
      First chat: Wednesday, November 3, through Chapter XII
      Second chat: Wednesday, November 17, through the end

      I will post background information and suggested ancillary readings by this
      weekend.

      To look ahead: Following this book, there will be more fiction,
      Gillian Bradshaw: "Bearkeeper's Daughter", and H. N. Turteltaub: "Justinian".
      Then it's on (or back) to the beginning of Rome.

      Hoping for a good crowd at the next chat,

      Irene
      http://members.xoom.com/placida