Re: [Roman_History_Books] 235-285 AD

  • Randall Howarth
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 11, 2002
      Richard, if by your question you mean primary sources, there isn't really
      anything else. Keep in mind that this group of primary sources is especially
      unreliable and problematic. If you want a modern treatment, try The Decadent
      Emperors by Geoge Brauer for the opening of this period and Ramsey
      Macmullen's The Roman Government's Response to Crisis 235-337. Anything
      written by MacMullen is top shelf. RS Howarth

      rmbeale wrote:

      > Hello,
      > I just joined this group. I am interested in the period of turmoil
      > from 235-285 A.D. where information is very scarce. Does anyone know
      > of any books/ info on this time period other than the information in
      > the Historia Augusta? Also, if anyone has a English transalation of
      > the Historia Augusta that they'd like to sell, I'd be interested.
      > Kind regards,
      > Richard Beale

    • rmbeale
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 11, 2002
        Randall,
        Thank you for the informative reply, that is just the sort of
        information that I was looking for. I will try to find a copy of
        these books that you've mentioned, you seem remarkably well informed
        on this issue and I appreciate your help. The fact that so little is
        known of this time period has made me especially interested in it.
        Kind regards,
        Richard

        --- In Roman_History_Books@y..., Randall Howarth <rhowarth@m...>

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • Jeepers@Alaska.net
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 12, 2002
          I recommend Gibbons work...lengthy ...voluminous and can be had at a
          used book store for a song.....and 10-30 dollars :)

          Lightwell

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 17, 2002
            Welcome to the group, Richard!

            I've just returned from a couple of weeks abroad.

            I've posted your query today on the Ancient/Classical History Forum
            http://forums.about.com/ab-ancienthist/start:
            http://forums.about.com/ab-ancienthist/messages/?msg=2527.1

            Forum Book Discussions
            http://forums.about.com/ab-ancienthist2/start