Re: [Roman_History_Books] 235-285 AD

  • khush bakht
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 10 1:47 PM
      have u read Gibbon's Decline And Fall of The Roman Empire.
      Roman history is one of my deep passions, I have read Gibbon, will u suggest me something more regarding the subject.

      Tahir Sohail

      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 11 8:37 AM
        Richard, if by your question you mean primary sources, there isn't really
        anything else. Keep in mind that this group of primary sources is especially
        unreliable and problematic. If you want a modern treatment, try The Decadent
        Emperors by Geoge Brauer for the opening of this period and Ramsey
        Macmullen's The Roman Government's Response to Crisis 235-337. Anything
        written by MacMullen is top shelf. RS Howarth

        rmbeale wrote:

        > Hello,
        > I just joined this group. I am interested in the period of turmoil
        > from 235-285 A.D. where information is very scarce. Does anyone know
        > of any books/ info on this time period other than the information in
        > the Historia Augusta? Also, if anyone has a English transalation of
        > the Historia Augusta that they'd like to sell, I'd be interested.
        > Kind regards,
        > Richard Beale

      • rmbeale
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 11 11:22 PM
          Randall,
          Thank you for the informative reply, that is just the sort of
          information that I was looking for. I will try to find a copy of
          these books that you've mentioned, you seem remarkably well informed
          on this issue and I appreciate your help. The fact that so little is
          known of this time period has made me especially interested in it.
          Kind regards,
          Richard

          --- In Roman_History_Books@y..., Randall Howarth <rhowarth@m...>

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • Jeepers@Alaska.net
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 12 12:46 AM
            I recommend Gibbons work...lengthy ...voluminous and can be had at a
            used book store for a song.....and 10-30 dollars :)

            Lightwell

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 17 12:38 PM
              Welcome to the group, Richard!

              I've just returned from a couple of weeks abroad.

              I've posted your query today on the Ancient/Classical History Forum
              http://forums.about.com/ab-ancienthist/start:
              http://forums.about.com/ab-ancienthist/messages/?msg=2527.1

              Forum Book Discussions
              http://forums.about.com/ab-ancienthist2/start