235-285 AD

  • rmbeale
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 10, 2002
      Hello,
      I just joined this group. I am interested in the period of turmoil
      from 235-285 A.D. where information is very scarce. Does anyone know
      of any books/ info on this time period other than the information in
      the Historia Augusta? Also, if anyone has a English transalation of
      the Historia Augusta that they'd like to sell, I'd be interested.
      Kind regards,
      Richard Beale
    • khush bakht
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 10, 2002
        have u read Gibbon's Decline And Fall of The Roman Empire.
        Roman history is one of my deep passions, I have read Gibbon, will u suggest me something more regarding the subject.

        Tahir Sohail

        I just joined this group. I am interested in the period of turmoil
        from 235-285 A.D. where information is very scarce. Does anyone know
        of any books/ info on this time period other than the information in
        the Historia Augusta? Also, if anyone has a English transalation of
        the Historia Augusta that they'd like to sell, I'd be interested.
        Kind regards,
        Richard Beale

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Randall Howarth
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 11, 2002
          Richard, if by your question you mean primary sources, there isn't really
          anything else. Keep in mind that this group of primary sources is especially
          unreliable and problematic. If you want a modern treatment, try The Decadent
          Emperors by Geoge Brauer for the opening of this period and Ramsey
          Macmullen's The Roman Government's Response to Crisis 235-337. Anything
          written by MacMullen is top shelf. RS Howarth

          rmbeale wrote:

          > Hello,
          > I just joined this group. I am interested in the period of turmoil
          > from 235-285 A.D. where information is very scarce. Does anyone know
          > of any books/ info on this time period other than the information in
          > the Historia Augusta? Also, if anyone has a English transalation of
          > the Historia Augusta that they'd like to sell, I'd be interested.
          > Kind regards,
          > Richard Beale

        • rmbeale
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 11, 2002
            Randall,
            Thank you for the informative reply, that is just the sort of
            information that I was looking for. I will try to find a copy of
            these books that you've mentioned, you seem remarkably well informed
            on this issue and I appreciate your help. The fact that so little is
            known of this time period has made me especially interested in it.
            Kind regards,
            Richard

            --- In Roman_History_Books@y..., Randall Howarth <rhowarth@m...>

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          • Jeepers@Alaska.net
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 12, 2002
              I recommend Gibbons work...lengthy ...voluminous and can be had at a
              used book store for a song.....and 10-30 dollars :)

              Lightwell

              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 17, 2002
                Welcome to the group, Richard!

                I've just returned from a couple of weeks abroad.

                I've posted your query today on the Ancient/Classical History Forum
                http://forums.about.com/ab-ancienthist/start:
                http://forums.about.com/ab-ancienthist/messages/?msg=2527.1

                Forum Book Discussions
                http://forums.about.com/ab-ancienthist2/start