Re: [Roman_History_Books] [History-Rome]

  • David Wend
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 27, 2002
      Hello Olja:

      What I know about Zenobia is that she was the wife of Septimius Odaenathus, ruler of Palmyra. On his death is 267, she secured power and ruiled
      through her son Valballathus. In 270, Zenobia sought to expand her kingdom by invading Egypt and Asia Minor. Aurelian moved against her in 270 and
      defeated Zenobia's army. She was captured and spared, appearing in Aurelian's triumph in Rome. Thereafer, she spent her remaining years in
      comfortable captivity at Hadirian's Villa.

      David

      Olivera Miletic wrote:

      > Thank you David.I want to ask you something.Do you now anything about Zenobia?I really need help.Do you now where she was born or where she died?
      >
      > Olja

    • Randall Howarth
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 28, 2002
        Zenobia is the second wife of Septimius Odenaeathus, a noble from Palmyra, a trading city in Syria. This Septimius was accorded a lot of power by the
        weak emperors Gallienus and Claudius II because they had bigger problems in the west. After her husbands suspicious death, she took advantage of this
        chaos in the empire in 270 to carve off a piece of the Roman empire in her name. She was eventually defeated by the emperor Aurelian in 272 after
        which Palmyra was sacked. She apparently lived to tell the tale. Palmyra, a great site to visit now, slipped into obscurity after this. Noone knows
        for sure how/where she died. She did however suffer the indignity of beinf paraded behind Aurelian's chariot in a triumph. The usual epilogue to
        this parade is summary execution, a fate she apparently escaped.
        Randall

        Olivera Miletic wrote:

        > Thank you David.I want to ask you something.Do you now anything about Zenobia?I really need help.Do you now where she was born or where she died?

      • Olivera Miletic
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 31, 2002
          Thank you very much.Do you now anything about Gratian?He was born in Sirmium.I am hoping that you now anything about him because I am writing a something like research paper.

          Olja

          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 31, 2002
            Olja, the this sort of research would be conducted much more simply by going to any decent library and asking for, say, The Oxford Classical Dictionary (ed Hornblower and
            Spawforth) or the Chronicle of the Roman Emperors by Chris Scarre. It sounds like your paper is not treating any of these individuals very comprehensively. You will forgive me
            if it sounds like you're asking us to do your work for you.
            Randall

            Olivera Miletic wrote:

            > Thank you very much.Do you now anything about Gratian?He was born in Sirmium.I am hoping that you now anything about him because I am writing a something like research paper.
            >
            > Olja

          • Olivera Miletic
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 2, 2002
              Let me tell you something Randall.I'm a lot younger and I live in country that you probably never herd of and I'M NOT ASKING YOU TO DO MY WORK.In my city there is only one library and they don't have anything about him, that is why I ask you.Only thing that I know about Gratian is that he was born in Sirmium.And do know how I find about that?I know that cause I live in Sremska Mitrovica-Sirmium.

              P.S.If you need help I'm here
              (I will try to answer on your questions if you wont to hear anything from 13 years old girl)

              Olja

              Olivera Miletic wrote:

              > Thank you very much.Do you now anything about Gratian?He was born in Sirmium.I am hoping that you now anything about him because I am writing a something like research paper.
              >
              > Olja

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 2, 2002
                Olja, you have to forgive us here!

                Most of such requests tend to come from high school students who are too lazy
                to do their own research. Thus our occasional testiness. <grin>

                Forum Book Discussions
                http://forums.about.com/ab-ancienthist2/start