Re: [Roman_History_Books] [History-Rome]

    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 25, 2002
      Go here:

      http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/ancient/suet-nero-rolfe.html
      http://www.roman-emperors.org/nero.htm

      There is also a biography by Michael Grant: "Nero". It's out of print but
      your public library may have it or get it for you.

      Forum Book Discussions
      http://forums.about.com/ab-ancienthist2/start

    • David Wend
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 25, 2002
        Hello Olia:

        By coincidence, I am researching Nero as well. I have read the book by Miriam Griffin,"Nero: The End of a
        Dynasty", Warmington, "Nero: Fact versus Reality" and the pamphlet by David Shotter, "Nero". I also have on my
        reading list: "Nero: The Singing Emperor of Rome" by Arthur Weigall.

        I you would like to look up books about Nero, I would suggest going to Abe Books at www.abebooks.com.

        Best wishes,

        David Wend

        Olivera Miletic wrote:

        > I need help about Nero.I need any information about him.Please help.Can anyone tell me anything about his life?
        >
        > Olja

      • Olivera Miletic
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 27, 2002
          Thank you David.I want to ask you something.Do you now anything about Zenobia?I really need help.Do you now where she was born or where she died?

          Olja

          Olivera Miletic wrote:

          > I need help about Nero.I need any information about him.Please help.Can anyone tell me anything about his life?
          >
          > Olja

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • David Wend
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 27, 2002
            Hello Olja:

            What I know about Zenobia is that she was the wife of Septimius Odaenathus, ruler of Palmyra. On his death is 267, she secured power and ruiled
            through her son Valballathus. In 270, Zenobia sought to expand her kingdom by invading Egypt and Asia Minor. Aurelian moved against her in 270 and
            defeated Zenobia's army. She was captured and spared, appearing in Aurelian's triumph in Rome. Thereafer, she spent her remaining years in
            comfortable captivity at Hadirian's Villa.

            David

            Olivera Miletic wrote:

            > Thank you David.I want to ask you something.Do you now anything about Zenobia?I really need help.Do you now where she was born or where she died?
            >
            > Olja

          • Randall Howarth
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 28, 2002
              Zenobia is the second wife of Septimius Odenaeathus, a noble from Palmyra, a trading city in Syria. This Septimius was accorded a lot of power by the
              weak emperors Gallienus and Claudius II because they had bigger problems in the west. After her husbands suspicious death, she took advantage of this
              chaos in the empire in 270 to carve off a piece of the Roman empire in her name. She was eventually defeated by the emperor Aurelian in 272 after
              which Palmyra was sacked. She apparently lived to tell the tale. Palmyra, a great site to visit now, slipped into obscurity after this. Noone knows
              for sure how/where she died. She did however suffer the indignity of beinf paraded behind Aurelian's chariot in a triumph. The usual epilogue to
              this parade is summary execution, a fate she apparently escaped.
              Randall

              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 31, 2002
                Thank you very much.Do you now anything about Gratian?He was born in Sirmium.I am hoping that you now anything about him because I am writing a something like research paper.

                Olja

                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 31, 2002
                  Olja, the this sort of research would be conducted much more simply by going to any decent library and asking for, say, The Oxford Classical Dictionary (ed Hornblower and
                  Spawforth) or the Chronicle of the Roman Emperors by Chris Scarre. It sounds like your paper is not treating any of these individuals very comprehensively. You will forgive me
                  if it sounds like you're asking us to do your work for you.
                  Randall

                  Olivera Miletic wrote:

                  > Thank you very much.Do you now anything about Gratian?He was born in Sirmium.I am hoping that you now anything about him because I am writing a something like research paper.
                  >
                  > Olja

                • Olivera Miletic
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 2, 2002
                    Let me tell you something Randall.I'm a lot younger and I live in country that you probably never herd of and I'M NOT ASKING YOU TO DO MY WORK.In my city there is only one library and they don't have anything about him, that is why I ask you.Only thing that I know about Gratian is that he was born in Sirmium.And do know how I find about that?I know that cause I live in Sremska Mitrovica-Sirmium.

                    P.S.If you need help I'm here
                    (I will try to answer on your questions if you wont to hear anything from 13 years old girl)

                    Olja

                    Olivera Miletic wrote:

                    > Thank you very much.Do you now anything about Gratian?He was born in Sirmium.I am hoping that you now anything about him because I am writing a something like research paper.
                    >
                    > Olja

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 2, 2002
                      Olja, you have to forgive us here!

                      Most of such requests tend to come from high school students who are too lazy
                      to do their own research. Thus our occasional testiness. <grin>