Re: [Roman_History_Books] [History-Rome]

  • Randall Howarth
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 25, 2002
      Read Mirriam T. Griffin's Nero: the end of a Dynasty. It is the standard work on Nero.

      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 25, 2002
        Go here:

        http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/ancient/suet-nero-rolfe.html
        http://www.roman-emperors.org/nero.htm

        There is also a biography by Michael Grant: "Nero". It's out of print but
        your public library may have it or get it for you.

        Forum Book Discussions
        http://forums.about.com/ab-ancienthist2/start

      • David Wend
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 25, 2002
          Hello Olia:

          By coincidence, I am researching Nero as well. I have read the book by Miriam Griffin,"Nero: The End of a
          Dynasty", Warmington, "Nero: Fact versus Reality" and the pamphlet by David Shotter, "Nero". I also have on my
          reading list: "Nero: The Singing Emperor of Rome" by Arthur Weigall.

          I you would like to look up books about Nero, I would suggest going to Abe Books at www.abebooks.com.

          Best wishes,

          David Wend

          Olivera Miletic wrote:

          > I need help about Nero.I need any information about him.Please help.Can anyone tell me anything about his life?
          >
          > Olja

        • Olivera Miletic
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 27, 2002
            Thank you David.I want to ask you something.Do you now anything about Zenobia?I really need help.Do you now where she was born or where she died?

            Olja

            Olivera Miletic wrote:

            > I need help about Nero.I need any information about him.Please help.Can anyone tell me anything about his life?
            >
            > Olja

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • David Wend
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 27, 2002
              Hello Olja:

              What I know about Zenobia is that she was the wife of Septimius Odaenathus, ruler of Palmyra. On his death is 267, she secured power and ruiled
              through her son Valballathus. In 270, Zenobia sought to expand her kingdom by invading Egypt and Asia Minor. Aurelian moved against her in 270 and
              defeated Zenobia's army. She was captured and spared, appearing in Aurelian's triumph in Rome. Thereafer, she spent her remaining years in
              comfortable captivity at Hadirian's Villa.

              David

              Olivera Miletic wrote:

              > Thank you David.I want to ask you something.Do you now anything about Zenobia?I really need help.Do you now where she was born or where she died?
              >
              > Olja

            • Randall Howarth
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 28, 2002
                Zenobia is the second wife of Septimius Odenaeathus, a noble from Palmyra, a trading city in Syria. This Septimius was accorded a lot of power by the
                weak emperors Gallienus and Claudius II because they had bigger problems in the west. After her husbands suspicious death, she took advantage of this
                chaos in the empire in 270 to carve off a piece of the Roman empire in her name. She was eventually defeated by the emperor Aurelian in 272 after
                which Palmyra was sacked. She apparently lived to tell the tale. Palmyra, a great site to visit now, slipped into obscurity after this. Noone knows
                for sure how/where she died. She did however suffer the indignity of beinf paraded behind Aurelian's chariot in a triumph. The usual epilogue to
                this parade is summary execution, a fate she apparently escaped.
                Randall

                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 31, 2002
                  Thank you very much.Do you now anything about Gratian?He was born in Sirmium.I am hoping that you now anything about him because I am writing a something like research paper.

                  Olja

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 31, 2002
                    Olja, the this sort of research would be conducted much more simply by going to any decent library and asking for, say, The Oxford Classical Dictionary (ed Hornblower and
                    Spawforth) or the Chronicle of the Roman Emperors by Chris Scarre. It sounds like your paper is not treating any of these individuals very comprehensively. You will forgive me
                    if it sounds like you're asking us to do your work for you.
                    Randall

                    Olivera Miletic wrote:

                    > Thank you very much.Do you now anything about Gratian?He was born in Sirmium.I am hoping that you now anything about him because I am writing a something like research paper.
                    >
                    > Olja

                  • Olivera Miletic
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 2, 2002
                      Let me tell you something Randall.I'm a lot younger and I live in country that you probably never herd of and I'M NOT ASKING YOU TO DO MY WORK.In my city there is only one library and they don't have anything about him, that is why I ask you.Only thing that I know about Gratian is that he was born in Sirmium.And do know how I find about that?I know that cause I live in Sremska Mitrovica-Sirmium.

                      P.S.If you need help I'm here
                      (I will try to answer on your questions if you wont to hear anything from 13 years old girl)

                      Olja

                      Olivera Miletic wrote:

                      > Thank you very much.Do you now anything about Gratian?He was born in Sirmium.I am hoping that you now anything about him because I am writing a something like research paper.
                      >
                      > Olja

                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 2, 2002
                        Olja, you have to forgive us here!

                        Most of such requests tend to come from high school students who are too lazy
                        to do their own research. Thus our occasional testiness. <grin>