Re: [Roman_History_Books] Internet Security & Firewalls

  • Jim Allen
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 5, 2002
      Irene--

      Yep, hackers are out there and they're doing whatever they
      can to get into computers everywhere.

      Having a software-based firewall is a definite must-have for
      folks with DSL/Cablemodem connections, but keep in mind
      that anything software-based has the potential of being
      hacked.

      There is another solution that is inexpensive and doubles
      ones protection:

      Buy a Linksys router -- which acts as a hardware firewall --
      and use that with your software-firewall.

      Technical mumbo-jumbo aside, the Linksys (model BESFR41)
      router makes your system invisible to web, hackers never know
      you're there... If for some reason they beat that, they'll still have
      to beat your software firewall.

      Cheers,

      Jim Allen

      Jim Allen
      The 'Big Idea' Coach
      Email: Jim@...
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      http://www.CoachJim.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 5, 2002
        Hackers have been in the news quite a bit lately.

        Everyone, but especially those with DSL or ISP connection, should use one. So
        here is my personal experience:

        Until now, I used ZoneAlarm and liked it. However, with the Windows XP/AOL
        connection, it doesn't seem to work too well, and support response was nil.

        Since I expect our building to be wired for ISP soon, I checked around and
        ended up with Norton Personal Firewall. When bundled with Norton Antivirus,
        it is also available as Norton Internet Security 2002.

        I'm quite impressed. I have been attacked already with a Trojan horse about 4
        hours after I installed the software. The hackers are with us...

        Setting up preferences are easier than in ZoneAlarm. As an added bonus, you
        can also screen out a lot of those pesky ads.

        Forum Book Discussions
        http://forums.about.com/ab-ancienthist2/start

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 5, 2002
          In a message dated 1/5/2002 10:48:08 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          Jim@... writes:

          > Technical mumbo-jumbo aside, the Linksys (model BESFR41)
          > router makes your system invisible to web, hackers never know
          > you're there... If for some reason they beat that, they'll still have
          > to beat your software firewall.

          Thank you, Jim!

          I've made a note to do this before I get the ISP.