Re: Novel on the later Justinian

  • IrenesBooks@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 24, 1999
      In a message dated 9/24/99 1:37:11 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
      jaw5030@... writes:

      > So I will be lurking more than
      > participating until I get caught up.

      Jaqueline, I understand. Though we missed you at the last two chats... ;-)

      Irene
    • C. Gottselig
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 25, 1999
        On Fri, 24 Sep 1999 00:43:02 EDT, you wrote:

        >From: IrenesBooks@...
        >
        >For all of you who have opted for "Early Rome" rather than "Byzantium", would
        >you be willing to go as far as Justinian II (685-695 & 705-711 CE)? Which
        >would then be the definite end as far a Byzantium goes for us.

        I voted for Early Rome but would be willing to try this one though it
        received decidedly mixed reviews on Amazon.

        Carol
      • ILIADHOMER@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 25, 1999
          The 7th and 8th centuries AD are NOT early Rome. In my mind, early Rome
          could not extend beyond the end of the Republic (27 B.C.) or so. .
          .COMMENTS???

          JOHN L. GOMER
        • IrenesBooks@xxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 25, 1999
            In a message dated 9/25/99 9:07:21 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
            ILIADHOMER@... writes:

            > The 7th and 8th centuries AD are NOT early Rome. In my mind, early Rome
            > could not extend beyond the end of the Republic (27 B.C.) or so. .
            > .COMMENTS???
            >
            > JOHN L. GOMER

            My question to the group was this: Should we finish the Empire with
            "Justinian" - which sounds an interesting book, and then go back to early
            Rome (and as early as we find something to read about)?

            I take it that your vote is "no" and I will put you down as such.

            Irene (already doing research for Early Rome literature) :-)
          • MarkowitzH@xxx.xxx
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 26, 1999